Grinding gearbox!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadgets

Reaction score
Well, the old d22 has done nearly 400000ks of towing now,
It was getting a bit hard to change gears when the car was cold so I got the mechanic to change the gearbox oil on the last service.
Was all good for a couple of months but now its grinding badly going into 4th gear, I can control it by waiting till the revs drop and change into 4th slowly but that can be a pain in the ass when your towing up a hill!
I'm guessing it 4th gear synchro is buggered? I don't know a great deal about gearboxes,
If it is that, what ya reckon the cost would be to get it sorted? Paying a mechanic to do all the work as like I said I know very little about gearboxes.
Cheers for any info

No idea of cost gadgets, haven't heard of anyone getting a rebuild. Surely your mechanic would have some idea? Only way to really know would be to get a few quotes. It might be worth looking at used ones?

Ya,
My mechanic will know but I'm trying to hold off until my next service to find out.
It's going to be difficult to spend a great deal on a car with 400000ks on the clock and badly scratched on every panel from going down narrow tracks.
Will see how I go.
Cheers

Hi, Just a little input from a mechanic. Nobody can accurately quote a gear box repair unless the box is stripped and accessed for parts wear, condition and damage. The longer you leave the problem the more chance there will be more damage/wear. If the gear box has a lot of kilometres on it then there is more likely hood internal wear. The last D22 gearbox I repaired cost the customer $2600 plus the cost of a new clutch. An initial inspection would be to drain the oil into a clean white container and see how much debris (metal particles) is in the bottom or stuck to the magnetic drain plug.
If it shifts in and out of all gears except 4th with no problem then it is unlikely it will be a clutch issue. If it has done more that 400000 km then my advise would be if you repair the gearbox and replace the clutch and spigot bearing at the same time.

Ya,
My mechanic will know but I'm trying to hold off until my next service to find out.
It's going to be difficult to spend a great deal on a car with 400000ks on the clock and badly scratched on every panel from going down narrow tracks.
Will see how I go.
Cheers
Then again hard to justify spending 40 odd k on a new fourby with no scratches at all😁
I hear you though mate. I have 350 Kms on mine and know that some more expenses are coming. Mine is still in top shape inside but the running gear will eventually need some money spent on it.
If you are well enough invested in it then the gearbox repair/replace with a new clutch is a good move. Well much cheaper than a new one anyway...🤔

The synchro ring has most likely failed. They are surprisingly expensive.
It might be as well to find a used gearbox complete, although always a bit of a gamble.

Hi, Just a little input from a mechanic. Nobody can accurately quote a gear box repair unless the box is stripped and accessed for parts wear, condition and damage. The longer you leave the problem the more chance there will be more damage/wear. If the gear box has a lot of kilometres on it then there is more likely hood internal wear. The last D22 gearbox I repaired cost the customer $2600 plus the cost of a new clutch. An initial inspection would be to drain the oil into a clean white container and see how much debris (metal particles) is in the bottom or stuck to the magnetic drain plug.
If it shifts in and out of all gears except 4th with no problem then it is unlikely it will be a clutch issue. If it has done more that 400000 km then my advise would be if you repair the gearbox and replace the clutch and spigot bearing at the same time.
Thanks mate, great answer

Pertinent thread - I've just got home from a 1400 round trip in my 2015 D22 4by 90Kkm this ev and as of today I'm crunching every time into fourth gear.
I also changed the oil a couple months ago.
There had been a .little crunching now and then the last little while but sporadic and I assumed I was mis-timing my shifting.
And sure, I can control it by matching the revs but its certainly no fix and I worry about whats floating around in the oil.
I'm going to drop the oil tomorrow and see what's in it. While I'm there I'll poke a magnet up into the box and see if I can find bits of syncro ring.
My gut tells me it's a clutch issue - selecting bottom gear - at standstill - also elicits a crunch from time to time as well and I also had the clutch fluid changed at the same time. The clutch feels ok and seems to behave like a clutch should but I'm not convinced it is 100% disengaging

Latest posts

Back