Glow issue 2005 Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After market cruise controls are wired through the clutch and brake pedal , hasn't had one fitted?

It has cruise control, but it looks orginal. It had a lot of extra work lights in the back and some pretty sketchy wiring for a new head unit and subwoofer. I removed all the wiring for the non existan work lights and touched up the bad wiring, but ill keep digging in that general area and see if i find something

Last edited:
Hope this doesn't sound too silly, but has it got an old alarm/immobiliser unit fitted anywhere (probably engine bay)? On s/h cars it's often been bypassed long ago (usually with a key switch in the unit I think) and it does nothing. Until it starts playing up of course. Then you can get all sorts of weird problems. Have seen one that was intermittent starting, though once started, the blinkers used to start working on their own intermittently.

Also, as rumpig noted, cruise control works through switches on the brake and clutch pedal, so that if you depress either one the cruise control cuts out. Not sure how that would cause your problems, but who knows?

Last edited:
Looking at the picture is his avatar, this is a d40. A bit more info in the first post would have been helpful, or a post in the d40 section, but anyway... A lot of suggestions in this thread aren't going to be relevant.

You need to find out why the ECU is throwing a low battery voltage fault. Start by checking and cleaning the earth cables from the ecu. I believe they are connected to the body near the ecu. This is a common fault on the d40s and can cause all sorts of problems. From memory the ecu is located on the left of the engine bay (right when looking back at the vehicle from the front) on the top of the inner guard. If that doesn't help you're going to have to find wiring diagrams and trace where the ecu power relay is and check that for operation and earth connections too.

I would also be correcting that battery setup back to the factory setup. You can keep the second battery to use as an auxiliary battery if you want. I can't see why they would have done what they have done, except trying a bandaid fix.

Check all your earths, remove the ones from the battery to body and scrape the paint off back to bare metal to make sure you have a good connection. Do the same with the earth from the ecu. Bad earth connections are usually the easiest thing to fix but often the most overlooked and can cause the biggest headaches trying to troubleshoot around them.

Looking at the picture is his avatar, this is a d40. A bit more info in the first post would have been helpful, or a post in the d40 section, but anyway... A lot of suggestions in this thread aren't going to be relevant.
Yeah, true that. If it's in the correct forum to begin with, then people with knowledge of that specific model will be more likely to help out.

It has been some time since i tried to do any further investigation on the Nav. But since the cold weather is rolling in and the glow plugs really come in handy in the mornings I have to drop down the hammer and pick up the wrench so to speak. I noticed that before I start the car, when i put the car in gear (usually second) the glow light comes on when i turn the key. But since i can't hold down the cluch when i start i have to put it in neutral as soon as the glow light goes off and the start it. This works fine and all but there has to be a solution to this problem. This is just a small update on the issue (Diary of a sort) Even tho this is in the wrong thread and what not.

Have you changed your NEAUTRAL SENSOR SWITCH ,,if it causes the following problem it my also be causing you to put it in 2nd to get the glow plug to come on
This is fitted on the gearbox and if faulty will give low engine power
To test just drive the car up an incline in 4th gear and move the gear stick back and forth - round and round (without knocking it out of gear) and see if the power power picks up.

Hello,

I recently bought a nissan navara with some issues. The car has shifted owners because no one has been able to figure out exactly what the problem is.

The car wont start in its orginal state so the previous owner has installed a secondary battery and connected it to the starter, now it starts only when cold start swich is on.

I did some testing and found out that the glow plugs dont get power when i turn ingnition on, however when the car starts they get battery voltage. if i turn off the cold start switch glow plugs still get power, BUT if i press the clutch the power is gone and engine stalls.

Also i get an error code P0686 ECM voltage low

Anyone got any ideas?
[/QUOYou should se your car voltage regulator and if the problem with glow plugs isnt fixed you should replace the glow plugs which doesnt cost to much

I found something. After a long search i found out that M43 Plug draws 2.5 mA while power is off. I have tried to find out what that plug is for but have no idea. It is a 12 pin plug connected to the body controll unit (Black box under the steering wheel)

The BCM needs to monitor the receiver for the remote entry and also keeps the anti-theft active (flashes a little red light on the instrument cluster). 2.5mA is a very small amount of power, but over time can help drain the battery. This is why I've got a 40W solar panel on the roof connected to the starter battery (with an appropriate charge controller and a relay to disconnect everything while the ignition is turned on). It only becomes a problem if the car is left sitting for several days - when I was driving it (almost) every day I didn't have any battery issues, but since we have another (smaller) car and I also get around on a motorcycle now and again, the Navara gets to sit idle for quite some time.

Back