Gentle kick in the bum?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyB

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK gurus, I've got a funny one...

'08 STX YD25, manual, 4x4, d/c, 90,000kms.

I noticed something the other day on the highway.
When I lift off the throttle to coast a little and then add throttle to accelerate, there's a subtle "bump" in the driveline.
I can feel it thru the seat. There's not really any sound, just feels like driveline free-play take-up.
It's subtle, but persistent.
Seems worse in a higher gear at lower RPM, than a lower gear and higher RPM. (which might mean greater difference in tailshaft/engine/wheel speeds)

I haven't had a chance to check anything yet (too busy with work) but I'm thinking tailshaft unis or dual mass flywheel...?

Maybe engine or g/b mounts?
Diff backlash?

Anyone found or fixed similar?

There's a number of possibilities. Top two choices for me:

1) Prop shafts. Get under and wiggle 'em (no, do NOT sing "Toot Toot Chugga Chugga" to it). They shouldn't move. At all. If there's any movement (check both ends of both shafts) you've got a busted uni (easy fix) or a worn bearing in the transfer case or diff. Look for oil emissions as well.

2) Worn engine/gearbox mounts. I'd suggest at least a two-person job to inspect. If I was doing it, 3 - one guy to watch the mounts, one guy to rev the engine while the car was on a hoist, and me in the waiting room waiting for the invoice. The engine and gearbox are bloody heavy (I can lift the gearbox no problem, but I'm not stupid enough to even attempt the engine).

Latest posts

Back