Gearbox Install Issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxzia

Reaction score
Any help would be legendary guys. Ive just spent the last few hours trying to get my gearbox back in and it's not gone well. Everything is lined up, the dowl pins are lined up but i cannot insert the gearbox the last 8mm or so so it sits flush with the engine. I've tried rotation the crank through the pulley however it's only moving a slight amount which me and the others which were helping me all agree that it means that the splines are aligned. I have no clue what's wrong and i'm about to tear my hair out. We've tried different angles, put a lot of pressure through the gear box, rotating the drive train with the vehicle in gear. Nothing. Any ideas?

Has the crankshaft position sensor been removed prior to reinstallation? It should have come out beforehand, and needs to go back in afterwards.

Have any locating pins missed their alignment?

Is anything stuck inside the hole that the gearbox input shaft enters? A nut may have attached itself in there, maybe?

Has the crankshaft position sensor been removed prior to reinstallation? It should have come out beforehand, and needs to go back in afterwards.

Have any locating pins missed their alignment?

Is anything stuck inside the hole that the gearbox input shaft enters? A nut may have attached itself in there, maybe?

I didn't even realise that i'd have to remove the crankshaft sensor. will the gearbox have to come all the way out, remove the sensor then put it back in after? From what i can see the locating pins all seem to line up and there wasn't anything in the hole the input shaft goes into

Well, I don't know the D22 as well as I know the D40, so I checked the manual and it has "remove the crank sensor" as step 3 prior to undoing the gearbox bolts and reefin' it out. It carried a nice warning about being very gentle with it, making sure not to damage the edges. The sensor should just pull out the top with the box where it is, then you can try fitting the gearbox into place and pop the sensor back in last.

Well, I don't know the D22 as well as I know the D40, so I checked the manual and it has "remove the crank sensor" as step 3 prior to undoing the gearbox bolts and reefin' it out. It carried a nice warning about being very gentle with it, making sure not to damage the edges. The sensor should just pull out the top with the box where it is, then you can try fitting the gearbox into place and pop the sensor back in last.
Shot for the help brother 🤙. You may have just saved me a lot of swearing. You wouldn't happen to have a link to the D22 Manual would ya?

zd30 doesn't have the crank sensor in the bellhousing like the yd25 does.

what ever the issue is its mechanical.
i would check you have the right bearing and clutch fitted (the patrol/terrano clutch/bearings are probably different to the nav).
it may simply be the input shaft is not going into the pilot bearing due to the clutch plate not quite aligned right.

From my experience (which might not mean much) it can be a pita lining it up so that it goes into the spigot bush. Only has to be off by the smallest fraction and it won't go. Have done a couple of these and it was the same both times, never thought it would line up. You might just need to keep trying.

Yuk,,gear boxes... great times huh!

Did you replace the spigot bush? They're about 10mm long? Maybe not aligned right or damaged??
For it to be that far home the spline must be aligned eh....... It's a bugger, but you need to check that bush and make sure that's not damaged and stopping the box from going home!
Or there's something in that bush area that's some how jammed up there, you didn't use the old bread trick to remove the bush and there's still a loaf of bread up there ;) ... I use grease to pop them out!

I have a 03 d22, never knew about this sensor either, whoops! If mine has one, it didn't effect it when I did mine...

Yuk,,gear boxes... great times huh!

Did you replace the spigot bush? They're about 10mm long? Maybe not aligned right or damaged??
For it to be that far home the spline must be aligned eh....... It's a bugger, but you need to check that bush and make sure that's not damaged and stopping the box from going home!
Or there's something in that bush area that's some how jammed up there, you didn't use the old bread trick to remove the bush and there's still a loaf of bread up there ;) ... I use grease to pop them out!

I have a 03 d22, never knew about this sensor either, whoops! If mine has one, it didn't effect it when I did mine...

Yea i was thinking the same thing. I did replace the bushing and made sure to clean out all the bread lmao. We ended up pulling the gearbox back off, i double checked it was all sweet around the spigot and it was. Put it back in, slipped it back to the same point and was stuck there for a long time. Ended up slipping the rear drive shaft on and rotating it and it eventually pulled itself nearly flush so we could get bolts in. Don't know why or how it went back in but it did, so can't complain.

Yea i was thinking the same thing. I did replace the bushing and made sure to clean out all the bread lmao. We ended up pulling the gearbox back off, i double checked it was all sweet around the spigot and it was. Put it back in, slipped it back to the same point and was stuck there for a long time. Ended up slipping the rear drive shaft on and rotating it and it eventually pulled itself nearly flush so we could get bolts in. Don't know why or how it went back in but it did, so can't complain.
Lol that's the Nissan God's f'n with you my man lol yup, they do that! Why, no idea...

The best thing to do when pulling gear bags is to buy a cradle and you fit them to a "shop sized" trolley jack.. You get the unit up to a decent working hight on decent stands on all 4 points.. and that's where she stays untill you're re fitting the torsion bars!
Then with the cradle under the box and well supported you should be able to notice and mark the angles for the re fit, and that will just be the hight... should be ;)

Now finding the center point of the box to balance on the cradle is another short story... it's around the trans case area...

Hate to bust ya bubble but you did lube that spigot yeah? I always preeeeeee soak, and I mean pre soak - the spigot is my thorn... I've had numerous clutch jobs back in the old holden days that would squeal... stinking things they are...
Even with my last clutch job on this girl I managed to get a crap thrust bearing in a clutch kit! Had to pull the box after a week or so... oh and it gets better, it goes the night before I'm leaving for a tour round Au...
oh yeahhh, Nissan God's huh

Lol that's the Nissan God's f'n with you my man lol yup, they do that! Why, no idea...

The best thing to do when pulling gear bags is to buy a cradle and you fit them to a "shop sized" trolley jack.. You get the unit up to a decent working hight on decent stands on all 4 points.. and that's where she stays untill you're re fitting the torsion bars!
Then with the cradle under the box and well supported you should be able to notice and mark the angles for the re fit, and that will just be the hight... should be ;)

Now finding the center point of the box to balance on the cradle is another short story... it's around the trans case area...

Hate to bust ya bubble but you did lube that spigot yeah? I always preeeeeee soak, and I mean pre soak - the spigot is my thorn... I've had numerous clutch jobs back in the old holden days that would squeal... stinking things they are...
Even with my last clutch job on this girl I managed to get a crap thrust bearing in a clutch kit! Had to pull the box after a week or so... oh and it gets better, it goes the night before I'm leaving for a tour round Au...
oh yeahhh, Nissan God's huh
This is my first clutch job so didn't even think of ore soaking the spigot. We did a cunt of a job pulling the box out. Ended up jerry rigging a trans jack out of some wood metal and bolts to get it back in. Started driving it last night and there was this massive fuck off metallic noise and i thought it was my thrust bearing again. Re visited it today, i'd warped the tin dust cover on my drive shaft and it was knocking my when decelerating, shit i was happy when i figured out that was the case one not my bearing.

Latest posts

Back