Gearbox Change ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboSuzi

Reaction score
Righto boys. Just wanting some details on a gearbox change in a 2004 ZD30.. Just wanting to know what's involved, how much work, what's gotta come out, how heavy is the box and transfer, is it shit to line the gearbox up to the clutch... Those sorts of things... Is it a job that a competent bloke could take on at home over a couple of days, or is it a job for a workshop with a hoist?? Any special tools or anything needed to undo anything.. Any tips you blokes have got if i was to have a crack at it???

Looks like the torsion bars and crossmember have to come out for a start. The box itself looks pretty heavy. Ive benchpressed a few gearboxes in my time but chickened out when it came to doing the nav and got local grease monkeys to do it.
Wasnt cheap. Work vehicle = tax deduction though.
I imagine it could be done at home with a trolley jack and a helper but it wouldnt be fun!

Looks like the torsion bars and crossmember have to come out for a start. The box itself looks pretty heavy. Ive benchpressed a few gearboxes in my time but chickened out when it came to doing the nav and got local grease monkeys to do it.
Wasnt cheap. Work vehicle = tax deduction though.
I imagine it could be done at home with a trolley jack and a helper but it wouldnt be fun!

I agree with that. Cross member has to come out and the torsion bars.
I got a mechanic to do it with a clutch replacement.
Make sure the mechanic knows what they are doing. One of my torsion bars was put back wrong and they stuffed the adjustment. That cost me new parts when I had a wheel alignment done with new front shocks and suspension repairs.
Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Yeah they ****ed my wheel alignment too. They put it back to stock height - so the arse was up in the air doing the "downward facing dog" Had to re - adjust it myself and then get dicked around having to get another wheel alignment, Muppets. Hate mechanics.

i havn't done the navara box but done the toyota and thats a heavy beast, but its helped that i could put straps across the torsion bars and winch it up on that and slide it into position.

with no torsion bars you can't do that. plus it means you have to block up the front of the ute.
you might be able to put straps across the chassis rails if it doesn't squish any lines/cables.

not sure how much motor tilt there will be be when you start to take the box off.

What about if you pulled the seats and centre consoles out, and used an engine crane in thru the door.. Do you reckon this would make it easier?

All done. Wasn't too bad of a job. Ended up doing the clutch and new rear main seal while i was at it.. The box actually wasn't too bad. Sat nicely balanced on the 2,500kgs trolley jack and went up and in no problems. Just gotta take your time and line it up properly. I ended up removing the torsion bar crossmember to make it a bit easier, not sure if you have to or not but it gave a heap more room behind the box to help get it in.

All done. Wasn't too bad of a job. Ended up doing the clutch and new rear main seal while i was at it.. The box actually wasn't too bad. Sat nicely balanced on the 2,500kgs trolley jack and went up and in no problems. Just gotta take your time and line it up properly. I ended up removing the torsion bar crossmember to make it a bit easier, not sure if you have to or not but it gave a heap more room behind the box to help get it in.
Hey TurboSuzi,
Did you need a hoist to do it or were you able to do it with the vehicle sitting on jack stands? i was ready to give this one to the mechanics as i've heard its not an easy job but after your comment, and my difficultly in finding a mechanic i can trust, i'm considering giving it a go.. I understand it was done some time ago but any other comments would be helpful.. cheers

Hey TurboSuzi,
Did you need a hoist to do it or were you able to do it with the vehicle sitting on jack stands? i was ready to give this one to the mechanics as i've heard its not an easy job but after your comment, and my difficultly in finding a mechanic i can trust, i'm considering giving it a go.. I understand it was done some time ago but any other comments would be helpful.. cheers
I didn't do it on a hoist mate. Just on the driveway, with the car as high as possible with the jack stands. You need enough room to be able to manouvre the gearbox out, but not too high, otherwise you can't get it back up and in there with the trolley jack. Hopefully this helps.

You've done well mate. Done a couple of gearbox removal/reinstall of these on my own and found them an awkward, heavy, absolute pita.

Have done similar on other brand utes that were comparitively easy, the nav is the worst.

Thanks for the info guys.. i ended up taking it to a mechanic, just didn't have the time.
Overall i'm glad i did, although it does have a little clutch chatter, which i'm looking into.. The flywheel was machined (apparently) and a total new exedy HD clutch kit, will do some investigating and see how it goes..

yep..unless you have a fully equipped workshop (including hoists and the like ), a mountain of time, an understanding partner and kids and willing to have the 4wd off the road of a long time -then do it but otherwise.. just work a few more weeks to pay off the mechanic...

Latest posts

Back