Gear oil d22 zd30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denisanto

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am about to change the gear oil I was recommended to put a 75w- 85 for all of them but it doesn’t sound right to me.
What’s the best choice for my zd30?
Front diff oil
Rear diff oil
Transf case oil

thanks

I thought the transfer case ran ATF. Wait, I have a manual ...

Yes indeedy. Transfer case takes 2.2 litres of Nissan Matic "D" or API GL-4 fluid - the manual states that 75W-90 is preferred.

Front and rear diffs are supposed to take API GL-5, 80W-90 "is preferable". In hot areas you can use 90.

So, a tad heavier than they want to use and you're ok as far as the Nissan manual goes. Others with more experience around the ZD-powered D22 may jump in to confirm/correct me, all I've done is read a bit of service manual.

Great!
Thanks Tony!
Do you have a paper book manual or CD?
I have a CD but hard to use it now that my lap top is broken.
Or If you have the file to download, could pass me the link?
I’ve always get confused on which manual is the right one.
Thanks

Mine's digital, and very large, so it's difficult to email - it would be the same as yours if you have the CD.
Compress the file. You can make a large file a little smaller by compressing it into a zipped folder. In Windows, right-click the file or folder, go down to “send to,” and choose “Compressed (zipped) folder.” This will create a new folder that's smaller than the original.25 July 2020

Compress the file. You can make a large file a little smaller by compressing it into a zipped folder. In Windows, right-click the file or folder, go down to “send to,” and choose “Compressed (zipped) folder.” This will create a new folder that's smaller than the original.25 July 2020

Yep, compressed it's 132Mb and Google only lets me email what, 25Mb? I don't have another email account any more (I used to have one at navara.asia which allowed me to send these out but with the change of hands of the forum I lost this facility). It's probably easier to put it on CD - which defeats the purpose!

not sure but does any one know if this work

1. Upload your files to a cloud storage service, like Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive, and share them or email them to others.

Hi everyone,

I am about to change the gear oil I was recommended to put a 75w- 85 for all of them but it doesn’t sound right to me.
What’s the best choice for my zd30?
Front diff oil
Rear diff oil
Transf case oil

thanks
Yep, they are right a 75w-85 grade oil is fine. You can use either ATF or gear oil in the transfer. I prefer gear oil as I only have to buy one type of oil. It's important to us a "GL4" spec, people have put the latest and greatest synthetic oil in their gearbox thinking they are doing the right thing and had all sorts of problems because of wrong spec.

This is all I have ever used in the transfer and gearbox on mine.

The rear diff takes an 85w-140 LSD oil.

The front diff takes an 80-90 diff/gear oil from memory but other people have put the same oil as rear diff without problems (only have to buy one container of oil).

ps. Have noticed that Nissan gives two different "viscosity" ratings for the gearbox oil. Not that it would make much difference. In one section 75W-90...and in another section 75W-85. So take your pick lol.

Transfer..."Genuine Nissan ATF or equivalent *2 or API GL4 *1 (75W-90).

Rear diff..."API GL-5, SAE 140 and 10% volume of LSD Friction Modifier."

Front diff..."Standard differential gear oil. API GL5 (viscosity 80w-90)."

In the last 10 years or so since taking over servicing on mine I have always used these...

Gearbox and transfer... Castrol Manual VMX-M 75W-85.
Front diff...Castrol Axle EPX 80w-90.
Rear diff...Nulon 85W-140 Limited Slip Differential Oil.

the oil viscosity required all depends on where you are. this is why nissan has an oil viscosity/temperature chart in their service manuals (and owners manual to i think).
140 diff oil is for farking hot places like aussie (unless your up the snowy mountains). over the ditch here in moderate to cool nz, 90 diff oil is required.
for those who have not used 140 diff oil before, its like sludge. it does not lube all that well when its cold.

Out of curiosity, where does the manual give different rear diff oil recommendations for different climates? It does for the front diff ie. it recommends 80W-90 generally or simply 90 for warmer climates.

The rear diff only specifies one viscosity oil ie. 140 SAE limited slip diff oil.

Though 85W-140 would cover all scenarios. There doesn't seem as much straight 140 diff oil available in parts places like repco, supercrap and so on anyway. Lots of 85W-140 available though.

Last edited:
Ah, shouldn't have doubted you Tweak'e lol.

It only mentions 140 LSD oil in the notes, but in the diagram it gives temp range of 10-40+ deg. Anyway, 85W-140 should be good for -10 to 40+ deg. In any given year I'll encounter snow and icy rivers in winter and mid (sometimes late) 40's in summer, so the 85W-140 covers it.

Ah, shouldn't have doubted you Tweak'e lol.

It only mentions 140 LSD oil in the notes, but in the diagram it gives temp range of 10-40+ deg. Anyway, 85W-140 should be good for -10 to 40+ deg. In any given year I'll encounter snow and icy rivers in winter and mid (sometimes late) 40's in summer, so the 85W-140 covers it.
for snow areas i would be running the fully synthetic 80w-140.
or go back to a 90 and take it easy in the summer.

for snow areas i would be running the fully synthetic 80w-140.
or go back to a 90 and take it easy in the summer.
I get what you're saying tweak'e, but the snow part might have been deceiving. We get a cold blast or two usually at the end of winter which will bring snow up on the ranges. It doesn't last that long and most people would stay home then, but when the wind eases I get out there.

The rest of winter is quite mild - shorts and t-shirt weather lol. The warmer part of the year seems longer and more extreme and more relevant to oil thickness. At least 90% of my driving would be in 10-40+ degrees with a good deal of that in the 30-40+ deg. range (got to 47C on my back porch in one extended hot spell last year).

There is also touring trips, it was in the 40's most days when I toured the centre (in spring - got to 50 on the edge of the Simpson just after I drove through). Even the Victorian high country was in the mid 30's the whole time I was there (autumn). I think most Aussies would need the thicker heavier diff oil (front not so important only does low speed off road), with exception of the Alpine regions or Tassie. I would be happy enough running a straight 140 grade, but the 85-140 is probably a good compromise.

Latest posts

Back