Fuel additive

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nig

Reaction score
We all now how tempremental Navaras are when it coms to all thimgs around the Engine and fuel systems. I always have my d40 running sweat, i did a 4000k run out west qld recently, im sure i collected a heep of bad fuel as when i got back it started running like a pig, im thimking here we go again, all sorts of things going through my head like sleepless nights wondering how much moolah im gonna throw at it, it coughed and farted, rattled and banged like it had air in the system and the primer was soggy like it was sucking air, white smoke on start up like it had sticky injectors or pump. Well i have to give the heads up to my new favorite Mechanic in a can, Fuel Doctor i put 300mls in 30ltre diesel in the tank was a near instant fix, 10ks of travel was back to near perfect again, i backed up the treatment the next fuel up and it runs like a train again. Thank Fuel Doctor you possibly saved my a small fortune in unnecessary parts and heaps of my time sorting out a common issue, im gonna be treating my fuel every couple of tank from now on should keep thing it tune. Hope this helps some of you fellow Nav fanatics allong you merry journeys. Travel sake.

Fuel doctor is a good bit of kit, I use it in both cars and it certainly does the job.

The only downside is that it has been creeping up in price a lot lately!

Fuel doctor is a good bit of kit, I use it in both cars and it certainly does the job.

The only downside is that it has been creeping up in price a lot lately!
Yes but for its performace it well worth the money, just use it sparingly after you establish stable engine performance.

Last edited:
Contrarian and sceptic from way back here (lol), but I find all of these additives and the marketing claims dubious. No doubt engines run better while it's in the fuel, but I doubt it gives any lasting benefit. Would be a simple thing for manufacturers to reference the experimental methods and data from which they derive their claims, but none of them seem to. The only before/after experiment I have seen conducted by enthusiasts who bench tested injectors, showed the particular brew they used made 0 difference.

These manufacturers remind me of that other "scientific" mob at "The Ponds Institute" where "scientific studies" show their wrinkle creams reduce visible signs of aging within 40 days! lol.

If you have real problems such as injectors blocking or whatever, I think you could get the witchdoctor to pray for it to get better for the same effect lol.

I say this unreservedly too, I have been wrong before (many times).

Contrarian and sceptic from way back here (lol), but I find all of these additives and the marketing claims dubious. No doubt engines run better while it's in the fuel, but I doubt it gives any lasting benefit. Would be a simple thing for manufacturers to reference the experimental methods and data from which they derive their claims, but none of them seem to. The only before/after experiment I have seen conducted by enthusiasts who bench tested injectors, showed the particular brew they used made 0 difference.

These manufacturers remind me of that other "scientific" mob at "The Ponds Institute" where "scientific studies" show their wrinkle creams reduce visible signs of aging within 40 days! lol.

If you have real problems such as injectors blocking or whatever, I think you could get the witchdoctor to pray for it to get better for the same effect lol.

Nothing wrong with a bit of scepticism, is some good stuff on you tube of what water dose to diesel and then to Injectors. Im a near 60 year mechanic . I dont use additives on anything but fuel. On my petrol jobs ive been adding Metho to my engines in winter conditions for as long as i can remember, just a ltr here and there it mixes with the water to help it burn, its not uncommon to put injector cleaner in customer car either, my results on my Navara RD25 are road tested not bench, i have since run a few tanks of premium Diesel through it untreated and its holding a good tune.also im running the same filter witch only has about 5000ks not due for replacement yet, see how it goes. I also have a 1989 Mercedes Benz Bus - Motor home, it suffered black Algie 12 years ago when i first bought it. I cleaned the fuel with Lucas Stabliser, ive used it ever since to keep running peek. Iv also put it over to Fuel Doctor as i reccond its a better product.

Hi Guys,
I have been talking about how good Fuel Doctor is on this site for years. Nig, the mistake you made was not putting the additive in before the trip. Keep your eyes peeled for it on special at Super Creep then buy 2 x 1 lt bottles. [ I even put a small amount in my 4 stroke lawn mower when it was running rough and what do you know] I don't know if it will unblock injectors, but it will break down sludge that causes blockages into finer particles so they can pass through, and disperse water in the fuel. It is the first thing i pack on a long trip or a visit to Molong farm.
Scepticism is healthy, everyone to their own, but i wish you had not told me about the 'Ponds Cream' not getting rid of wrinkles, Horatius!
What am i going to do with the 4 jars i bought on special at budget Wherhouse?

Hi Guys,
I have been talking about how good Fuel Doctor is on this site for years. Nig, the mistake you made was not putting the additive in before the trip. Keep your eyes peeled for it on special at Super Creep then buy 2 x 1 lt bottles. [ I even put a small amount in my 4 stroke lawn mower when it was running rough and what do you know] I don't know if it will unblock injectors, but it will break down sludge that causes blockages into finer particles so they can pass through, and disperse water in the fuel. It is the first thing i pack on a long trip or a visit to Molong farm.
Scepticism is healthy, everyone to their own, but i wish you had not told me about the 'Ponds Cream' not getting rid of wrinkles, Horatius!
What am i going to do with the 4 jars i bought on special at budget Wherhouse?

Agree Bill. We all know the difference in the new Premium Diesel and the cheaper Diesel is Additives,, one of those additives is probebly fuel cleaners, hence the price, so use of cheaper fuels is possibly the causes of a lot of problem Navaras on this site. Just saying.

Agree Bill. We all know the difference in the new Premium Diesel and the cheaper Diesel is Additives,, one of those additives is probebly fuel cleaners, hence the price, so use of cheaper fuels is possibly the causes of a lot of problem Navaras on this site. Just saying.

If we're going by anecdotes the four previous vehicles of mine managed between 400k - 650k kms without additives of any kind, or without servicing or replacing anything in the fuel system, apart from regular filter changes. The fuel systems were still running fine at those mileages and wasn't the reason I got rid of any of them. Being a tight arse of some renown I have also generally gone for the cheapest fuel I can find.

I really think the waning ability of modern cars to get to high mileages without major issue is due to the more complicated design of the cars themselves. They outperform the simple old mechanically injected cars by a mile, they use far less fuel doing it and they're better for the environment, they just won't do it for anywhere near as long.

It would be easy enough to release the experimental methods and data backing additive manufacturer claims, yet it doesn't happen. I think the reason for that is that no such things exist.

The usual caveat though, I am regularly wrong and my experience could be atypical. That's the problem with relying on anecdotes.

At any rate, I doubt fuel additives would do any harm (although I'm not certain of of even that much).

U touched on the elephant in the room about older versus newer vehicles. Which one is more harmful to the environment? The one which goes forever with little maintenance or the one which is marginally better on emissions but goes for half-or less-as long. Higher Overall cost to both ur pocket and the environment in my point of view. Not to mention time and frustration of dealing with the latest tech.

We all now how tempremental Navaras are when it coms to all thimgs around the Engine and fuel systems. I always have my d40 running sweat, i did a 4000k run out west qld recently, im sure i collected a heep of bad fuel as when i got back it started running like a pig, im thimking here we go again, all sorts of things going through my head like sleepless nights wondering how much moolah im gonna throw at it, it coughed and farted, rattled and banged like it had air in the system and the primer was soggy like it was sucking air, white smoke on start up like it had sticky injectors or pump. Well i have to give the heads up to my new favorite Mechanic in a can, Fuel Doctor i put 300mls in 30ltre diesel in the tank was a near instant fix, 10ks of travel was back to near perfect again, i backed up the treatment the next fuel up and it runs like a train again. Thank Fuel Doctor you possibly saved my a small fortune in unnecessary parts and heaps of my time sorting out a common issue, im gonna be treating my fuel every couple of tank from now on should keep thing it tune. Hope this helps some of you fellow Nav fanatics allong you merry journeys. Travel sake.
Thanks Billy, I use Chemtech diesel additive 1/1000 and it solves most fuel dangers

I like to keep a stock in the cupboard

Attachments

• fuel Doctor.jpg
    fuel Doctor.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 0
Have you guys tried Liqui Molly Diesel Injector Cleaner?

I'm not one to believe hype and I usually take reviews with a grain of salt.. but man o' man!

This stuff is unbelievable.

Felt it working within the first 20-30km's, by 100km's the car felt like someone had rolled back the calendar 10 years.

- Clatter reduced
- idle is smooth
- acceleration is up
- response is way up
- fuel economy is definitely better.

I'm sold, I'll keep using this stuff on every service and for $22 a can, it's a no brainer.

The Mrs car is a Euro Diesel, I was blaming the performance tune for a rough cold start it's developed.. 1 can of this magic and she's back to day 1 cold start!

Have you guys tried Liqui Molly Diesel Injector Cleaner?

I'm not one to believe hype and I usually take reviews with a grain of salt.. but man o' man!

This stuff is unbelievable.

Felt it working within the first 20-30km's, by 100km's the car felt like someone had rolled back the calendar 10 years.

- Clatter reduced
- idle is smooth
- acceleration is up
- response is way up
- fuel economy is definitely better.

I'm sold, I'll keep using this stuff on every service and for $22 a can, it's a no brainer.

The Mrs car is a Euro Diesel, I was blaming the performance tune for a rough cold start it's developed.. 1 can of this magic and she's back to day 1 cold start!
I’m with you on this I found this to actually noticeably improve the engine idle start and economy so I use it religiously at service intervals for past 3 years on 2 different vehicles now

I’m with you on this I found this to actually noticeably improve the engine idle start and economy so I use it religiously at service intervals for past 3 years on 2 different vehicles now
Mate, I've never really believed in Additives apart from just helping a bit and keeping things running, more of a preventative rather than a corrective action.

I'm sold on this stuff.

My 2014 D40 just felt a bit off and it had a “cough” during a gear change that shot a big puff of black smoke out the rear. I added a 500ml Liqui Molly engine conditioner to a 75 lite tank. Has driven like a dream the past 1000 or so km and used about 500ml less per 100. I also regularly use premium diesel. The engine conditioner is recommended a tank per every 10k

My 2014 D40 just felt a bit off and it had a “cough” during a gear change that shot a big puff of black smoke out the rear. I added a 500ml Liqui Molly engine conditioner to a 75 lite tank. Has driven like a dream the past 1000 or so km and used about 500ml less per 100. I also regularly use premium diesel. The engine conditioner is recommended a tank per every 10k
I did a bit of a shock treatment and added the 500mls to about a 1/4 tank.. didn't say anywhere on the can I couldn't do it :)

Agree, every 10K oil / filter change I always do Fuel Filter as well, so dumping a can of this stuff in the tank will be a perm part of my regime.

I use Amsoil injector cleaner and Cetane booster which is possibly the same. Every oil change I use the Amsoil gearbox and engine flush but really not needed as oil is a great cleaner.

Did you have a pre filter for water?.

Mine has just started running a bit half cruddy on the last couple runs ... Again, and its been a few tanks since i ran Nulon diesel fuel treatment.

I bought something other day..
Nulons version of Fuel Doctor,
Diesel Fuel Sys Detox i think its called. I was looking at those other brands like Fuel Doc And Liquimoly,

Supposed to use 1ml per litre.
And bottle treats 1000L.
Seems like a sweet deal if it works, thatll last donkeys!

Cost $35 & lobbed it in at specified rate. Ain't noticed much difference yet driving home in dark but will see tomorrow & keep using it every now then if i get a drop in performance and smoke and stuff.

Glad to see a post so relevant to what i just bought!

I tried using DXP and to be completely honest I didn't notice a huge difference - but then I've been a bit pedantic about servicing etc and my nearly 400,000km is still on the original injectors showing no signs of needing any attention.

We did have a very slight (almost unnoticeable) hunting start to happen (idle surging by 20-30rpm regularly). There were no power issues, it still pulled the van well, started easily - but we had to use Nulon diesel fuel injector cleaner because my preferred brand - Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment - was not available at the OTR servo at The Bend Motorsport Park where we went for the Supercars round recently.

The hunting disappeared fairly quickly so it's probably fair to say that Nulon and Liqui Moly treatments will be composed of similar things. I would not be surprised if others were also very similar in composition.

Latest posts

Back