Flat Springs?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarsc10

Reaction score
g'day, i have a '97 model d22 3.2L diesel dual cab and am considering some new 2" lifted rear springs. The existing springs sit pretty much flat whilst unloaded. Is this normal for standard navara springs?
Cheers.

I don't know about the D22, but my D40's springs are almost inverted & have been that way since new.
My Son in Law has a couple of Hi Lux's & they are the same.
I have just ordered a pair of Ironman Load Plus Helpers, hopefully that will
make a bit of difference as I love the ride & don't need a lift or heavy duty springs.

cheers. i'm guessing that they are the original springs and so the ride height is still close to standard. not too bad for a 13 year old truck i suppose.

Attachments

• Navara 006 - Copy.jpg
    Navara 006 - Copy.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 76
Hi

I got one of them D22s but a single cab and it was flat also. I had the springs on the back reset and an extra leaf put in a few years ago for around $200 and it made it much better. The torsion bars on the front just needed to be wound up to match the rear height. The work was done at Jack Beadham in Redcliffe Brisbane.

Alan

i used to have a 60 series cruiser and went down that path (reset/extra leaf) and found that the ride became a bit harsh, especially when unloaded. Still an option to consider but, thanks.

actually our reset/extra leaf made the ride a lot better, especially when empty. the rear is quite soft for the first inch or so or travel, then it hardens up.

i got a price for new springs today at a local mechanics. $300 for 50mm raised heavy duty "maxi Trac" brand. Apparently they've fitted this brand to quite a few different vehicles without complaints. Think i might get me some.

Reverse camber leaf springs give better road holding characteristics. If you get springs with any sort of lift you will be fitting springs with a positive camber and your road holding will suffer a little.

not to sure about your 22 but my d40's springs were flat as to from new..
the only way around it if ya wanna carry any weight without it bottoming out is to go with a set of after markets.
i put king springs with mine when i did the 2" lift and cant say a bad word about them. their definitely better on and off road than the stockers.
their a 300kg constant load, but when we go away there's about 600- 700kg on em and they handle it no worries.

the 40's have such a long rear spring that even with the heavy duty pack and carrying no weight it still rides and handles great. sits a bit higher than the front does though..

Like everyone else I too have (stock) rear leaf springs which are in the same almost inverted state. My question is if I have new heavy duty suspension fitted will I get a lift? I'm toying with the idea of having a 2" tough dog lift kit installed and am also wondering if this will actually result in more than a 2" lift?

Like everyone else I too have (stock) rear leaf springs which are in the same almost inverted state. My question is if I have new heavy duty suspension fitted will I get a lift? I'm toying with the idea of having a 2" tough dog lift kit installed and am also wondering if this will actually result in more than a 2" lift?

I fitted 2"lifted extra heavy duty king springs and ended up with 3". So yes you could possibly end up higher, it all depends on your particular setup, bullbar, winch, canopy, all influence total height. They also tend to come down a bit after a settle in period.

I have the same on my D22, flat and uncomfortably stiff. The truck has 180K kms on the clock and as you can see they are standard, have 2 inch lifted springs on order. The best thing about the sagging is that a 2 inch lift will raise the truck about 3 inches. will post pick once the new springs are in. also notice how the shackles are pushed out.

will-albums-will-s-2003-navara-st-r-picture396-flat-leaf-springs.jpg

I fitted the Ironman Load Plus helper spring system on Sat. morning. Job took about half an hour. They say in the instructions, you don't need to remove the wheels, but it is a lot easier if you do.
To get a bit more clearance, I adjusted the setting to plus 400kg. The back end is now raised 40mm.
I took the car down the Belarine Peninsula Sat afternoon. Tried it on the good highway(For Vic anyway) to Drysdale, then varying sealed and rutted dirt tracks down around Indented Head.
I was very impressed. Ride is a little firmer, but not uncomfortable, is a lot more stable on the dirt & all for $125.
I don't want to do any "Real" bush bashing & my present van is 1.8t so for the little money involved I thought the helper spring system was worth a try.
I will let you know how they go after I load it up & do some towing.
Phil

Thanks for all the input guys. Will, your springs and shackle angle looks very similar to what mine does. Im gona order some of the maxi-trac springs today, will probably put them in later in the week and i'll let you's know how they go.

well i put the new springs in late last week. back sits about 3" higher than it was i reckon and i wound the torsion bars up in the front to within about 5mm of the bump stop. Looks good, the ride is a fair bit firmer but i wouldn't say that it is too harsh. The shackle angle is pretty much vertical now. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

this is my ute 2 weeks ago on a trip out west. i got 35 mm front and 65mm rear (no weight) lift using king springs heavy duty springs and coils. the springs are 300kg constant load.
with the dogs quad bike and all the gear including the 80l fridge in the back seat, there was easy 600kg from the back seat to the end of the tray and well you can see how the springs handled it..

i;m really impressed with them if anything the front rides harder than i'd like. absolutely over the moon with the back.

cheers

Attachments

• S7001524.jpg
    S7001524.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 93

Latest posts

Back