Fit '09 YD25 snorkel to '06 ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan96

Reaction score
Hi All

There is a thread about this already but I'm crossing the Simpson in early September and need to get a snorkel fitted ASAP.

I'm posting it here incase the other thread is missed. And, if nobody else has done it I can use this thread to post my results
LINK TO OTHER THREAD

Issues I see are
(a) Screwing up engine management by removing the pre-cleaner???
(b) remounting the sensor onto the new bit of plastic

Benefits are
(a) Removing restriction
(b) Good place for 3rd battery or ARB compressor

So did anybody do this?

Not yet, but I'm going to in near future. I want that pre-cleaner GONE...... lol

Honestly, after fitting a snorkel, does it not become a useless piece of plastic anyway?

**Remember that you will have to source the section of plastic that is in place of the pre-cleaner on the YD25 model to allow the snorkel to be connected.**

Last edited:
From my discussions with Gary (Nizzbits) the snorkels are the same so it looks.

You just need to source the bit that Yakka mentioned.

I rang heaps of wreckers and couldn't find one, so new it is off Gary.

Dave.

Issues I see are
(a) Screwing up engine management by removing the pre-cleaner???
(b) remounting the sensor onto the new bit of plastic

no you will not screw up the engine management, its dumb as *** at the best of times ;)
mounting the sensor, drill a hole poke it in. easy as that.

if you can't get the bit you need why not a thin sheet of stainless, fold/glue/rivet it into shape. i don't think you could make it any worse than the factory one ;)

Hi All

Here are some photos of the sensor, rubber grommet and the hole in the pipe running between the pre cleaner and the air box.

Easy As!

I didn't know I needed the extra bit. Will have to check that out. But I'll order the YD 25 snorkel from nizz-bits tomorrow

So you don't get the bit that runs from the snorkel tube inside the guard to the airbox?

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

More info guys

Looks like the "intermediate tube" the tube that up inside the panel are different lengths for the ZD30 snorkel kit and YD25 snorkel kits. Here are some photos to illustrate.

This is the ZD30 kit. you can see the intermediate tube comes out of the hole closest to the fire wall to connect to the pre-cleaner
ZD30snorkel.jpg

Here in the YD25 kit the intermediate tube comes out of the hole closest to the headlight
YD25snorkel.jpg

So looks like to do this mod you need to
(a) install snorkel for YD25 (A6575-Vm000AU)
(b) Source inlet duct that runs from snorkel to air box of YD25 (new approx $200) i.e source from wreckers!!!
(c) drill out YD25 inlet duct and re-mount sensor and rubber grommet
(d) throw pre-cleaner in bin!!!

Talking to myself in this thread

Anyway the part that you need to get from the wreckers is bloody hard to find

After emailing/phoning every Nissan commercial wrecker in SA/VIC and NSW (well nearly) I have found 2 units

1 I bought. 1 was sourced through nizzbits.

Its hard to find service like what Garry offers these days. No, I'll go 1 furthur and its impossible to find service like what Garry offers these days. So props to Gary and Nizzbits

Anyway so I have 1 spare. It cost me $80 so you can have it for $80 plus postage or free pick-up from Adelaide.

BTW Dave has first dibs (see PM) but looks like hes bought 1 already so if he declines the first PM get it!

I bought it, didn't wanna spend that much but such is life.

Cheers Nath, owe you one.

Dave.

Well many thanks to all the information gathered on here, Senior members included!!!

This weekend i installed a 2009 YD25 snorkel to my 2006 ZD30 Navara. Special mention to Nathan96 for sourcing the YD25 intake pipe and also to Dave for the willingness to lend me his holesaw, although not needed.

The install took a bit over a day at a slow pace, the hardest part i found was removing the inner guard without breaking the push clips (brittle) and doing the nuts up on the back of the snorkel body inside the outer guard.

I did stall test it at the end but could only get it to the point of stalling then it would rev back up a bit for a few seconds then bog down again and rev up in a continuous cycle. This said i have not yet silicone sealed the joint on the back of the airbox and the snorkel body has an apparent minor air leak around one of the pop rivets that holds the nissan badging on the exterior of it.

I attached a few photos of the install for you guys, i got pictures of most of the install, may be a few missing as the photographer (gf) walked off the job to attend to facebook a few times.

All in all the install was fairly straight forward, dont let the big hole worry you. Once you predrill the holes marked on the template at 3mm what difference will it make to put a 89mm holesaw through one of them? Follow the template and you cant go wrong.

Any questions please dont hesitate to ask

When putting the nuts on inside the guard did it go a bit like this

Washer on....check

Now reach for that spring washer.....almost there...

-1st washer falls off stud-

Damn, Repeat

10mins later....Right, got that ring spanner on.

1/16th of a turn later......mmm this is going to take a while

When putting the nuts on inside the guard did it go a bit like this

Washer on....check

Now reach for that spring washer.....almost there...

-1st washer falls off stud-

Damn, Repeat

10mins later....Right, got that ring spanner on.

1/16th of a turn later......mmm this is going to take a while

Was a bit of a pain but i was able to use a small ratchet for all except the one right up towards the A-piller. Took me about 25 mins to do them all up

Back