Finding tdc via glow plug hole. Stumped.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meaty

Reaction score
Hi everyone. So, I'm attempting a valve stem seal replacement on a 98 qd32 engine. Rockers are off, glow plugs out. I drop a screwdriver in the glow plug hole, rotate the crank and absolutely no movement of the screwdriver. Am i missing something? I intend to do the rope in the cylinder method to prevent valve movement while the valve springs are off. Do the injectors provide a better entry point? I'd rather not have to mess with fuel lines etc. Any help would be most welcome!

Ok, I've been told that the glow plug goes into a separate chamber and not directly to the top of the piston. Looks like its time to remove the injectors. That might mean the manifold has to come off.... Fun!

may not be able to do it even with injectors out.
IDI engines (which qd32 is) the glow plug and injectors go into a pre chamber not into the cylinder. the fuel burns in there and blows out a port into the cylinder. you don't always get an injector or glow to line up with the port in the head.
better to do the timing off the timing marks.

may not be able to do it even with injectors out.
IDI engines (which qd32 is) the glow plug and injectors go into a pre chamber not into the cylinder. the fuel burns in there and blows out a port into the cylinder. you don't always get an injector or glow to line up with the port in the head.
better to do the timing off the timing marks.
Aaahhh. Great info! The ultimate goal was to access the cylinder and fill it with rope to prevent the valve falling in the upon spring removal. I may have to explore the compressed air method to hold them in place while I do the valve stem seals. Thanks a heap for your insight!

using compreseed air, lock the motor. if manual put into high gear pull handbrake. if auto ? or air may
turn motor

featured_channel.jpg

0:47 / 10:10

Removing the valve stem seals from a Land Rover head in situ. Can it be done?

using compreseed air, lock the motor. if manual put into high gear pull handbrake. if auto ? or air may
turn motor

featured_channel.jpg

0:47 / 10:10

Removing the valve stem seals from a Land Rover head in situ. Can it be done?
Good call! I'd forgotten that tip actually. I'm learning so much on the fly that it's easy to miss the odd gem. Still, it's great fun learning about a new field (mostly bikes previously). I feel lucky to be working on the qd32 D22. They're not fancy but they seem to be well loved by their owners. I'm stoked with this ute regardless of a few issues. I'll just do my best to keep her ticking over and chewing up the miles!

a few tips make sure you grease the short drive shaft for front wheel drive , there is a nipple that greases the inner spline very hard to find,. one thing i regret not doing was putting in a new radiator at 200klms, it cost me a new head plus now blows smoke when i start. also the front calipers may have synthetic pistons , have had to remove them twice and clean them refit with new rubbers, you know when it needs doing brakes become hard to engage, if you get water inside the floor pan you have electrical wire running along the sill beside drivers seat, my turned blue and rotted out..

a few tips make sure you grease the short drive shaft for front wheel drive , there is a nipple that greases the inner spline very hard to find,. one thing i regret not doing was putting in a new radiator at 200klms, it cost me a new head plus now blows smoke when i start. also the front calipers may have synthetic pistons , have had to remove them twice and clean them refit with new rubbers, you know when it needs doing brakes become hard to engage, if you get water inside the floor pan you have electrical wire running along the sill beside drivers seat, my turned blue and rotted out..
Wow. That's some very interesting tips right there! Thanks for that. I'll do some inspections asap.

Back