Failed timing- entered motor ruined crank??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geebus85

Reaction score
Guys I'm really scratching my head in this one.

My daughter has a 2017 np300 nav that has shat itself (running rough and low oil pressure warning)
This happened 2 days after a service at a mechanics. It's gone to nissan and they have said that somehow a "bolt" from the timing assembly had entered the motor and damaged the crank and therefore ruined the motor. Now unfortunately the car is out of warranty but only has 80k on it.. I am only familiar with the zd30 patrol motor so forgive my ignorance here. How does a bolt even get in there? Is this legit or are we being led down the wrong path here? Obviously now up for alot of bank to get her car running again, I just don't understand the situation

Cheers for anyone's time
Stay off yourselves 🤙

Can't say I've heard of this one, but I don't know the engine that well, hopefully someone else will jump in. I don't even have a diagram of the motor, so I couldn't say if the timing bolt was possible or not.

Curious though: if the timing bolt was an internal component and not normally adjusted (or inspected) during a service (even by Nissan), would its loosening constitute poor assembly of the motor?

Can't say I've heard of this one, but I don't know the engine that well, hopefully someone else will jump in. I don't even have a diagram of the motor, so I couldn't say if the timing bolt was possible or not.

Curious though: if the timing bolt was an internal component and not normally adjusted (or inspected) during a service (even by Nissan), would its loosening constitute poor assembly of the motor?
You would have to think so surely? And having done timing chains on other motors I really just can't get my head around how a bolt has entered the crank..

Hard to see how a bolt could damage a crank enough to cause low oil pressure. I would be asking a lot more questions, requesting photos/visual inspection by a third party. Unless the oil pump sits at front of crank or something.

Latest posts

Back