Extra/Long range fuel tank info needed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy too

Reaction score
Suppose this is the right spot for this but need to carry extra fuel, I can put the 125L tank in made by Brown Davis but need preferably 200L not needed under normal conditions but when travelling to or staying in remote locations would be good, would also like an undertray type water tank too, would prefer not to have any tanks on top of tray.
Is there any tank made to fit up in the spare wheel space, at present looking at getting the 125l tank and putting hopefully a split tank in that wheel space for diesel of 75l and the rest for unleaded for genny etc and maybe a water tank in the space above under the tray for water, be a lot of weight but would only be filled when going bush for a longer period.
Can put extra water under the caravan but ideally you need about 100l of water a week.
Previously travelled with an Isuzu NPS 300 and carried 260l of diesel, 280l of water and 170l of unleaded, even then we did run short at times but now won't use as much unleaded as won't be carrying a boat and hopefully the D22 will get better than 18l/100klms when loaded

You may be able to get someone like brown Davis to make you one up, otherwise another fabricator. I don't think there's anything like that off the shelf though. I had a 4wd systems 137lt in mine, I believe they do a 145lt too, which replaces the main tank. They do hang below the chassis rails though unless you have a body lift and then they can place the brackets on the tank to suit and it is above the chassis line.

You could always put the question to brown Davis. If they haven't got anything done up, they may be able to get a d22 in or get some measurements from you and build something to suit. Fuel doesn't weigh a great deal, diesel is around 840grams per litre and unleaded is around 726grams per litre. At least mounting it where you are suggesting will spread the weight evenly across the rails.

Thanks bods
The 145l sounds better but still not near enough and even though I try not to go places I did years ago the 125+ 70-90 in the spare the place is probably a better option, I did ring Brown Davis a some time ago but they didn't seem interested.
Normally would just make something myself but sold the mig and only have a little stick welder now, it does a good job but not confident taking on something with so many twists and not sure where to get steel folded locally in new location.
Water would preferably be stainless and if push comes to shove can probably carry 20l of unleaded in a jerry can.
Just checked out 4wd systems web page, not sure if I contacted them or not but will in the morning they do mention auxiliary tanks and did see one advertised somewhere in the wheel spot but not for d22, pity as it was 137l.
I have changeover valve/switchgear which I removed from the Isuzu which saves a bit.

Here is something to keep in mind.
Every time you add something bigger like larger capacity tanks to carry more fuel and extra tanks for water you are limiting the weight that you can place in the vehicle or tray area. If you are not careful you can exceed your gross vehicle mass to the point where your vehicle will become to heavy and your tow ball down weight can make your vehicle overweight.
Every single thing that you add to the vehicle above the standard kerb weight, which is tare mass (tow bar, bull bar, different tray, spot lights, winch, up graded suspension, and even heavier tyres etc etc) alters the GVM.
Maximum GVM for a D22 is 2860 kg. This weight is fully loaded with full fuel and water plus passengers and luggage. IF you reach the maximum GVM then the maximum tow ball down load weight is 80 kg, if you aare towing a camper or caravan.
Tare Mass for a D22 is 1842 kg this is standard weight, no accessories, no driver or passengers and only 10 liters of fuel in the tank.
Weights and measures inspectors are becoming more prevalent as more and more people hit the road and even though you may well say 'so what', if you have an accident when you are over weight then your insurance may well be void.
I don't want to be the one to put a damper on your plans but keep this in mind.

Yeah thats why I had an Isuzu NPS 300 previously and even then with a GCM of 8000 kg we were sometimes overloaded when heading to remote places with full tank loads but were carrying a 4.5m polyboat and trailer on top.
The tanks I want to fit will usually only be filled to capacity when heading off road or to more remote places, the van is rated for 2100kg but never weighed over 1800kg I upgraded the suspension and chassis from 1400kg to what it is now.
Will not be carrying a boat and hope to keep other loads down fairly well but usually take much more than needed still.
IMHO 75-90% of those towing vans are way overloaded and most have no idea, the only way to be sure is to weigh at different loadings so you know for sure but even so have been weighed twice 250kg over truck GVM and GCM, only escaped because they incorrectly assessed the truck as a later version which has higher GCM and GVM.
As to insurance yes they ask the towies to pick up everything belonging to a wreck so it can be weighed not always but only if suspected.

Cheers for the reply.
Lucky break for you with their mistake :)
What a lot of people seem to forget is that even though the GCM may be correct it is often the vehicle GVM that brings them unstuck.
I recently had an experience with my brothers D40. The modifications where : bigger fuel tank, plus tray tank, steel bull bar, new side steps (to lift them up), rear seats removed and Engels mounted inside, alloy tray, upgraded front and rear suspension with air bags, tow bar, spot lights, larger tyres, twin deep cycle batteries and 2 solar panels.
After all that he put his Quad on the back (the reason for the tray) which weighs 380 kilos and now the D40 has exceeded its GVM. Which means from a legal weight perspective he cannot drive it as it now weighs GVM 3160 kg with the quad, standard GVM 3010.
In other words he has reduced the D40's load carry capacity down to 230 kg (without the quad) by doing what seems to be normal add-ons.
His only hope now is to have an engineer sign off on his suspension mods to upgrade the vehicles GVM figure which I believe is to 3250 kg.

You may be able to get someone like brown Davis to make you one up, otherwise another fabricator. I don't think there's anything like that off the shelf though. I had a 4wd systems 137lt in mine, I believe they do a 145lt too, which replaces the main tank. They do hang below the chassis rails though unless you have a body lift and then they can place the brackets on the tank to suit and it is above the chassis line.

You could always put the question to brown Davis. If they haven't got anything done up, they may be able to get a d22 in or get some measurements from you and build something to suit. Fuel doesn't weigh a great deal, diesel is around 840grams per litre and unleaded is around 726grams per litre. At least mounting it where you are suggesting will spread the weight evenly across the rails.
What is the GVM of a d22? And don't forget your weight and any passenger's Wife, Kids, Cat, Dog! Every state differ, but.

Latest posts

Back