Exedy Clutch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
The clutch is now starting slip on take off and it shudders something shocking. Lots of revs but not much forward movement so just crawling around at the moment nursing it.
Been trying to find a comparison on here between the Pink Heavy Duty and the Safari (yellow).
I'll be towing a Jayco pop up van which is a little bit short of a tonne in weight. Most of the driving will be done on bitumen but will be on dirt sometimes.
Lots of hills to get over when leaving Perth metro, specially up the great northern highway.
So need opinions, should I go Pink Heavy Duty or the Safari.
Cheers

The clutch is now starting slip on take off and it shudders something shocking. Lots of revs but not much forward movement so just crawling around at the moment nursing it.
Been trying to find a comparison on here between the Pink Heavy Duty and the Safari (yellow).
I'll be towing a Jayco pop up van which is a little bit short of a tonne in weight. Most of the driving will be done on bitumen but will be on dirt sometimes.
Lots of hills to get over when leaving Perth metro, specially up the great northern highway.
So need opinions, should I go Pink Heavy Duty or the Safari.
Cheers
Only pink made for d22 no?
Im happy with the pink, even lighter to push then stock also.

Only pink made for d22 no?
Im happy with the pink, even lighter to push then stock also.

Pretty sure you're right to a degree, couldn't find the Safari tuff (yellow) anywhere for ZD30 D22 only for petrol models on evilBay.

If you're clutch is slipping in 1st and shuddering I'd stick it right at the top of the list and do it ASAP Oldie.

Mine was slipping in 4th and occasionally in 3rd and had it changed on Thursday. Mechanic said cause I got on to it earlier I saved the flywheel a great deal of punishment, but if yours is slipping on take off and shuddering maybe you're past that point.

I went with a 4Terrain. Roughly same dollars as the Exedy HD pink job, much of a muchness and personal preference, but my mechanic recommended the 4Terrain and said he preferred them and I had one in the Patrol so I went with the devil I knew.

In saying that, the clutch that was pulled out was Exedy HD pink, and was a good clutch until started to slip.

I find the 4Terrain is lighter I'm the pedal than the Exedy HD, and the engage point is much much lower to the floor, which is a pain the first time you drive it but I like now that I am used to it.

Money may be the final factor for you.
Exedy HD pink $509ish
4Terrain $599ish
Both on evilBay.

The 4Terrain does come in a sweet timber box but lol.

Torsion bars have to come out and is a decent job apparently, so labour was a bit over the $400 mark.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
got the exedy pink HD and it's being fitted next week.
the price here in the wild west ? $856 for the kit and it doesn't even contain the spigot bush, bloody daylight robbery but looks like I got the last one in Perth.
did a ring around and everyone said they would have to get the kit in from Vic. if I was able to wait a bit longer I could have ordered the kit myself and saved some money.
I believe the flywheel will be skimmed but I guess it depends on the condition.
until it's all done, I'm just nursing the old gal, if I put her into second gear pretty quick she doesn't seem to slip, it's just on first on take off. buggered if I know but clutch is being done regardless.
cheers

got the exedy pink HD and it's being fitted next week.
the price here in the wild west ? $856 for the kit and it doesn't even contain the spigot bush, bloody daylight robbery but looks like I got the last one in Perth.
did a ring around and everyone said they would have to get the kit in from Vic. if I was able to wait a bit longer I could have ordered the kit myself and saved some money.
I believe the flywheel will be skimmed but I guess it depends on the condition.
until it's all done, I'm just nursing the old gal, if I put her into second gear pretty quick she doesn't seem to slip, it's just on first on take off. buggered if I know but clutch is being done regardless.
cheers

Geez! $856!!!!! My 4Terrain was $715 cause I wanted the supplier warranty rather than an imported eBay special and the Exedy was around $670... Hope the mechanics go easy on the labour for you!

The new clutch is in and she's deadly LOL
It'll take some getting used too, it's light on the pedal and takes up real fast.
Cost of installation was little under $1300
The mechanic smashed 2 fingers reinstalling the torsion bars haha and I think I got charged extra for that LOL

The new clutch is in and she's deadly LOL
It'll take some getting used too, it's light on the pedal and takes up real fast.
Cost of installation was little under $1300
The mechanic smashed 2 fingers reinstalling the torsion bars haha and I think I got charged extra for that LOL
Hey Oldie, I know its been sometime but did your Exedy HD clutch every give you any shudder when engaging. i had one fitted to my D22 about 3 weeks ago and it shudders somewhat. About to take it back to the installer, just curious if you had any issues with yours.. cheers

Hi Rally
I sometimes get a bit of shudder on a cold morning but it only happens taking off in first and only lasts for about 10/15 minutes until everything warms up. So the clutch has been in now for 5 years and the shudder only started about 2 years ago. Apart from that, the Exedy pink has done a good job.

It also shudders a bit when in reverse when reversing out the drive in the morning but it only happens on a cold morning.

It also shudders a bit when in reverse when reversing out the drive in the morning but it only happens on a cold morning.
Thanks for the info mate.. I've since followed up with the mechanic that installed it and he's accepted that mines not right.. So back to the mechanic it goes.. Hopefully it gets sorted this time..

Latest posts

Back