Error codes P0238 & P0473

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Sal

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 2013 Nissan Nav D40 with 206k’s. I purchased it over a month ago but after a week I lost boost along a flat/level roadway. Pulled over switched off the engine for 10 mins. I started it and it drove was ok until I reached the mechanic, 3 km away.
Mechanic found the fuel filter was half full and the rubber O ring damaged. Since then travelling over 50ks a day for over 3 weeks with no issues.

Last weekend on the way up kangaroo Valley Rd (NSW) a steep incline it lost boost, but just for about 30 metres.
These are the codes I later found: PO238 TC Boost Senior/Circuit and PO473 Diff Press Sensor/Circuit/EXH.

Any help would be welcomed.

The two sensors are on "opposite ends" of the motor - one in the air intake and one in the exhaust. It could be:

* a double failure through coincidence (both sensors need replacing if cleaning the electrical connections fails to remedy it)

* a double failure through poor workmanship - including pressure cleaning the engine bay, which can push debris into the electrical contacts inside a connector. Examine the cabling for damage.

* a completely unrelated issue and one we've seen numerous times before - poor battery connections. This isn't limited to the battery itself, it could be the ground cable on the side of the engine, it could be the ECU ground on the vehicle body, it could be the main fuses on the positive battery terminal connector.

See if any of the cheap stuff (listed in the last paragraph) has an effect before throwing $ at it.

The two sensors are on "opposite ends" of the motor - one in the air intake and one in the exhaust. It could be:

* a double failure through coincidence (both sensors need replacing if cleaning the electrical connections fails to remedy it)

* a double failure through poor workmanship - including pressure cleaning the engine bay, which can push debris into the electrical contacts inside a connector. Examine the cabling for damage.

* a completely unrelated issue and one we've seen numerous times before - poor battery connections. This isn't limited to the battery itself, it could be the ground cable on the side of the engine, it could be the ECU ground on the vehicle body, it could be the main fuses on the positive battery terminal connector.

See if any of the cheap stuff (listed in the last paragraph) has an effect before throwing $ at it.
Thanks, will have a look over the weekend.

I have since cleaned some sensors, turbo boost and the intercooler. I have also cleaned the MAFF sensor and other connectors around the engine.
I installed a catch can, this was done early Dec. After that I just kept dropping 2 codes only, over boost and high circuit.

2 weeks ago we hooked up the camper but only made it 5 ks out of town before I lost boost. This time it would not come back after shifting up a gear. Found out later the bolt came off the empellor and wedged into it. It is now being replaced.

Question. Without knowing the engine history for over 210ks and having a wife who is now not confident using the truck to tow, should I sell or keep?

I'd suggest that with a new turbo invested in it, chances are you're not going to have trouble with that component for some time. As @Tms40 says, it's better the devil you know ...

Don't sweat too much. I'm currently at Mt Panorama racing circuit for the Mt Panorama 500, in my caravan that I towed here with my Navara that's done over 350,000km. I've replaced a turbo before, among a few other components - it could happen to any car!

Latest posts

Back