Eonon DVD Headrests

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure I saw a reference somewhere to some 7" headrests they found on eBay, and I even went and had a look - I was so impressed I went and bought the company's 9" headrests. I am impressed, happy and thought I'd take some pics to show ya'll how easy it was.

The ONLY downside: the game controllers are light and don't have any proportional (graduated) control in them like you'd have on a Sony Playstation.

Nice things:

* 9" screens which are really easy to see - no squinting
* Plays DVD, AVI, DiVX, MP3, MP4
* Comes with games ... not very exciting for me, but young kids might be amused
* Comes with infra-red headphones (that work and fold up nicely)
* You can play a video on one unit and watch+hear it on the other at the same time
* You can output the sound via FM and pick it up on your car's sound system
* The headrest has a zip-up flap so it looks mostly like a normal headrest so thieves don't spot it
* The laser unit is manufactured by Sony - 'nuff said.
* It handles rough roads without skipping. We only took it through Clarencetown & Dungog, not the CSR, but that's still a valid test :)

Anyway, enough guff, on with the posts. I'll reserve a couple so nobody posts in between the build pics. 15 pics!

So, having paid for these babies on Tuesday 19th, getting a notice that they had been posted on the 20th, they arrived on Friday 22nd July - from Hong Kong. Absolutely bloody impressed with that, believe me.

Ok, pic 1 - the unit. Nice neat lines - comes in 3 colours - black, beige or grey. I chose black, which (as you'll see) fit in well.

attachment.php

The "OPEN" button in the middle of the picture above works whether power is on or not, and reveals the disc mount and the SD card slow (seen in the picture below above the "PWR" button).

attachment.php

Just so you can be certain, have a close look at the laser mount. Sony it is!

attachment.php

So, it comes with neat headphones ...

attachment.php

... and some remote controllers. All of these "peripherals" take AAA batteries, so make sure you have plenty on hand! Two of them take a pair of batteries and one takes 3, so you use 14 batteries in all.

Attachments

• IMG_1838-resized.jpg
    IMG_1838-resized.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,422
  • IMG_1839-resized.jpg
    IMG_1839-resized.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,366
  • IMG_1840-resized.jpg
    IMG_1840-resized.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,398
  • IMG_1841-resized.jpg
    IMG_1841-resized.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,367
Last edited:
So, those other controllers look like this:

attachment.php

and those headphones collapse into little balls that go in a back and sit in the pouch of the seat covers ...

attachment.php

So, I grabbed a Gel battery and hooked it up, threw in a DVD ... seconds later:

attachment.php

That's a region 1 DVD playing there, in NTSC. It plays any region just fine, we were impressed - that's the thing about Sony units, they had to take all the region code rubbish out. Anyway, on with the installation now ...

Attachments

• IMG_1842-resized.jpg
    IMG_1842-resized.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,383
  • IMG_1843-resized.jpg
    IMG_1843-resized.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,354
  • IMG_1848-resized.jpg
    IMG_1848-resized.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,382
Last edited:
Installing was a breeze. Two sets of cables (one cable in one post, and two cables in the other) pass through 10mm posts that you can't remove. The Navara has 12mm headrest posts - no problem, these things came with the adapter posts. Remove your headrest, drop the adapters in the holes. Don't start mounting the headrest yet, or feeding wires in.

In order to connect everything, you don't need to cut open the seats:

attachment.php

Pull out the zip and undo it!

attachment.php

There's plenty of space inside, but for safety's sake you don't want any bare wires floating around because you can see the metal springs inside the seat:

attachment.php

Once you've got the back open, you can start feeding the wires in and pulling the wires through nicely. The headrest sits on the top of the seat rather nicely and doesn't look too large:

attachment.php

The colour isn't a bad match either.

Attachments

• IMG_1849-resized.jpg
    IMG_1849-resized.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,413
  • IMG_1850-resized.jpg
    IMG_1850-resized.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,390
  • IMG_1851-resized.jpg
    IMG_1851-resized.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,379
  • IMG_1852-resized.jpg
    IMG_1852-resized.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,429
Last edited:
So, the headrest mounted with the cover unzipped and a glare spot on the bloody camera ...

attachment.php

We now pull the wires through and start hooking them up. There are gaps at the base of the zippers and there's one on the inside (closest to the centre console) which allows the wiring to only appear briefly before it disappears.

attachment.php

The thin green wire in the picture above is the FM antenna. I just tucked mine into the seat and that was it - it worked perfectly.

So, keeping in mind those bare metal springs, and that I'm prone to taking the vehicle on rough roads from time to time, I decided to use insulation tape to secure and insulate the electrical connections. I don't think the metal outer of the plugs carried any power, but I didn't want to tempt fate:

attachment.php

That was it. Connect the two sides together (AV OUT to AV IN) so they can share video and hook the two up to power.

The units use 9W of power when running. That's 0.75A. You could safely leave it going while you're waiting 2 hours in the waiting bay at Kotara McDonalds because they're still chasing down the bloody cow for your burger and still be able to start your car.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1853-resized.jpg
    IMG_1853-resized.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,586
  • IMG_1854-resized.jpg
    IMG_1854-resized.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,425
  • IMG_1856-resized.jpg
    IMG_1856-resized.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,387
Last edited:
I just recieved mine. Same as yours. Very quick postage and a bargain at $209 including delivery. Thanks for the info on installation. Will get stuck into them shortly...

nice work tony. i bought the exact same 9inch headrests. but it seems as though i paid a little more than peeeeda, i paid $265.
i did have a little more trouble with my ST seats, as they have a storage slip in the back of the seats and dont have the handy zip section you have in yours. i had to unclip the centre ring at the bottom of the seat, so as i could get my hand up into the gap and retrieve the wires. once the wires were all connected i used a zip tie to replace the small ring i snipped to gain access.

the other thing with my seats is that once installed the headrests were a bit wobbly. i fixed that problem by wrapping the posts in electrical tape, which seems to work fine. stopped the rattle and the wobble, haha

i am not the best with electric's so i was a little nervous about the connection, and that the instruction manual is written in chinglish didnt help me much. so i did confirm a few things with MERCHANT (the member that put up the link to ebay about the headrests) thanks again Merchant for your time.

any way now that they are installed they work great, and most importantly my two little critics that use them think they are "awesome". well worth the money in my opinion.

We were only talking about a new DVD player for the car yesterday & these headrest units look pretty good.

Mines an ST so I going to have a look to see how to get into the back of the seat & where to pick the power supply.

Did you guys use a constant power source or an accessory power source? If constant I would be worried that the unit might be left on one day after switching off the car but then again, one day I might leave the interior light on. :sarcastic:
I imagine with an accessory power source there would be the issue with the unit turning off when you fill up with fuel etc. Hmm?

Did anyone "Make an offer" or just pay the "Buy it now price"?

Ta

We were only talking about a new DVD player for the car yesterday & these headrest units look pretty good.

Mines an ST so I going to have a look to see how to get into the back of the seat & where to pick the power supply.

Did you guys use a constant power source or an accessory power source? If constant I would be worried that the unit might be left on one day after switching off the car but then again, one day I might leave the interior light on. :sarcastic:
I imagine with an accessory power source there would be the issue with the unit turning off when you fill up with fuel etc. Hmm?

Did anyone "Make an offer" or just pay the "Buy it now price"?

Ta

i also have the ST, if you look at the bottom of the seats you will see three small rings that hold the two parts of the seat together. i cut the middle one, which then allowed me to reach up into the seat and pull the wires out.

one problem that i did have is that the posts are a little loose in my ST seats and i needed to wrap them in some electrical tape to stop an excessive wobble. once that was done they are pretty good. while playing a movie i give the seat a good shake and they didnt skip at all.

i connected my units up to an auxiliary plug and then you can simply unplug them if the trouble maker in the back give you the s@#@, this will also stop you draining the power.
when you turn the car off with a movie playing, the player will start up again at the exact point of the movie where it lost power. i tested that out yesterday when i was testing the unit with only the accessories on then started the car. the players turned off as you would expect, but once turned on again continued playing the movie from the same point.

i put in a best offer starting at $250, but ended up paying $265 inc postage. which i am happy with because they are quite good units and they arrive only 3 days after payment.

Last edited:
Thanks Nathan,

Lucky you mentioned the headphones because the ones I was looking at did not include the "free" headphones.

They say that the headrests come with 10 & 12mm headrest posts. (edit - I have measured my posts & see that they are about 12.65mm).

It is a good idea plugging them into the accessory socket, after all us poor buggers have to exhibit some form of discipline. :sarcastic:

Last edited:
Paid for mine yesterday. I have a suspicion that although the sellers have different names, they are one of the same.

Both advertise at $277.00 with headphones & both in Hong Kong. Nathan offered $250 & the seller (88hk) accepted $265, I tried Tony's seller (Eonon) & offered $250 & they accepted $265.

Anyway not sure this information will come in handy.

I will use Tony's instructions as a reference when they arrive.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
IMAG0627.jpg

The units I bought were monitors only with built in speakers. ($209 inc free delivery from Hong Kong) The Panasonic head unit has dual zone so we can play kids DVD's in the back and listen to the radio/ipod in the front. Wasn't too fussed about the games as by the time bub is ready to play games in a few years I'm sure they'll have invented some star trek game goggles using mind control. Very impressed with the price and easy to install. The D22 seat backs just unclip without cutting anything. Now to go buy some Wiggles shit!

I received my headrest DVD players fairly promptly from Eonon.

Upon testing one of the units had a yellow vertical line, like a row of dead pixels.

Contacted the supplier who asked that I send photos. They requested I pay $20.00 for return postage to Hong Kong (in accordance with their e-bay policy) & they would send a new unit.

Politely expressed my disappointment and they agreed to pay the cost of the courier for pick up and return of the unit. They were under no obligation to fund the courier both ways.

The replacement unit arrived today and I must say that I am very impressed with the customer service provided. I think that if I had have gone in "all guns blazing", the outcome might have been different.

While buying stuff from overseas can present problems if things go pear shaped, it is really no different from buying something in another state of Australia (pricks will always be pricks no matter where they live).

Regarding the operation of the players, one minor issue I have is that they interfere with the FM signal of the car radio. There is no problem if the signal is strong however I live in a marginal area & there is a fair bit of interference. Because they have an FM transmitter (sound can be played through the car radio), I suspect that that is the cause of the interference. It makes no difference if that function is turned off.

As I said, only a minor issue considering the cost of the units, I am very pleased.

Attachments

• Image0196.jpg
    Image0196.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 110
Mine went in today. Not dramas at all. Although i have a fold in half passenger seat so not as simple as unzipping the drivers side cover. But the rear panel was easy enough to get off passenger side.

Hooked power straight to back of center console power socket.

Will eventually connect displays to Pioneer headunit after i source some cables and adapters.

Pretty happy with both displays and the bubba was pretty impressed on the way home from daycare.

Latest posts

Back