Engines starts but shuts off after 3 seconds.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobbo

Reaction score
Good Afternoon and welcome to

Why is my Navara F******

Today on the show we have a 2008 Spanish built Navara D40 that is having problems. The owner has recently purchased the vehicle knowing the engine was not running and has since changed out the

* Fuel Filter
* Suction Control Valve
* Fusable Link

(Above parts changed in the last week to all brand new parts from Nissan)

The car went in for a brand new radiator in Feb 2020 and two days later started fine, drove 15km to work with no problems, the car was then started again but cuts out after 5 seconds. Even after changing all the parts to brand new we are still having problems getting the car to run and still cuts out after a few seconds.

What is my next step??

Welcome to the forum.

The very first thing I would do is (you can do this right now) go and squeeze the primer bulb a few times (count how many times). If it goes firm after 4 squeezes or so, the fuel system is fine, everything's good. However, as has happened often in the past (twice to me), you might squeeze it more times - when I got to about 8 squeezes I noticed diesel dripping from the bottom of the fuel filter. I then noticed the water sensor wasn't lined up properly, so I clicked it into place and have not had the problem since.

Cracked fuel lines, overtightened fuel clamps or a perished fuel primer bulb could also do this. This part of the fuel system is not pressurised (until you use the primer bulb), the pump sucks the fuel all the way up from the tank to the filter. What happens is air is allowed in through the cracks/gaps/pinches and allows the fuel to drain back to the tank. There's enough fuel in the filter to kick the engine over but it will stall within seconds of starting.

That's what I'd check first. If that doesn't resolve it, you may have a tricky problem - most things that go wrong with these engines cause them to smoke, or run slow. Even a failed turbo will allow the engine to start and idle without complaint (yep, done that one too).

Let us know how the primer bulb test goes!

Latest posts

Back