Engine stalling

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConnorS

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I bought a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder with a yd25 engine about 3 months ago. It ran sweet when I purchased it but has now been stalling just these past few days. It would start up fine every time but would stall within 20 seconds. While it’s idling it will also sound like the engine is choking and the rpm will drop to 500 and kick back up to 750 before eventually stalling.

I checked for codes and got p0102 and p0113 Maf sensor issues. I cleaned the sensor, checked the wiring for power (all was good) changed air filter, cleaned throttle body as it was very dirty and the problem persists. On the scan tool the maf is giving a reading, but at idle it jumps around from 9-20 grams per second. Would it be worth changing the sensor or are there other things that can be causing this?

Much appreciated for any help on this, cheers.

It might not be the MAFS, and if you do suspect the MAFS I'd seriously look at one in a wreck first (most accidents aren't caused by faulty MAFS). Nissan want $400 for one. I just checked on eBay and they're pretty pricey there too. No surprise, the MAFS is responsible for calculating how much air is coming into the engine and what temperature it starts at (because knowing that, and the boost pressure and the cooling map for the intercooler, the ECU can calculate how much air is actually in the combustion chamber and inject fuel to suit).

The pattern of stalling is usually caused by fuel, specifically air getting into the fuel at a point somewhere around the filter. This part of the fuel system is not under any pressure so you'd normally not be able to see diesel leaking out here. However, once the engine (the fuel pump) is stopped, air - which is much less dense than diesel - can be drawn in through small leaks caused by perished lines, overtightened (or undertightened) hose clamps, incorrectly installed water sensors ... long story short, the easy way to find the leak is to overprime the system. This will increase the pressure to the point where diesel will start to leak out. It should go without saying that you don't want to do this in your loungeroom.

There may be an electrical issue here - and these gremlins are sometimes quite hard to track. I'd start by cleaning the battery terminals, the main power wire connections (engine block, alternator) and give the fusible links a really good look. Undo the plugs for the MAFS and plug it back in (this helps remove any debris or oxidisation from the contact surfaces).

Thanks for the advice. I’ll check for any leaks in the fuel lines and work my way from there

ebay one left if its correct one

Attachments

• mafs sensor.JPG
    mafs sensor.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 13
Just a quick update. Problem solved, found the inlet hose on the fuel filter was a bit loose but the clamp was at max tightness. Bought a new clamp for it and cut back the hose a bit (it had a couple little cracks right on the end). Thought I might as well replace the fuel filter too. Running like a dream now. Thanks for the advice Tony, cheers mate

Latest posts

Back