Engine rattle? 2000rpm

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D22BettyBlack

Reaction score
Gidday everyone, new to forum
Well lets get started.

I brought me a 2006 str zd30 navara 2months ago.
Car has 318xxxkms previous owner " said to have rebuilt engine " because something happen to other engine.
Engine was clean and extremely good no misses ect. No ticks rattles nothing .

Long story short. 2months down the track i now have a rattle at 2000-2300rpms when revs go up or holding throttle at that rev.
I can hear it coming from left passenger side at times , an then sometimes like near bull bar on drivers side .

Does not happen at idle . So therefore xannot have someone rev while i determine where the root cause if this is

Its like a mettalic metal rattle .almost like a loose bolt and the washer is moving up an down .
I have gone around whole ute looking for loose bolts, fenders, trims ect
Only loose thing is my exhaust .

There is no mechanical issues ,
No engine missfire,no overheating , ect
I will post video this arvo...
Hoping something small an not detonation/pinging anything to bad

Could well be your exhaust. When you say loose just regular play or does something actually need to be tightened up? If it has had a 3in fitted there is not a great deal of clearance as I recall. I had to dick around for a while to get mine clear when I fitted it

G'day,
Keep looking for loose bolts/nuts. I had the same issue and posted about it last month on my newly acquired D22. Because of all the fear around timing chain issues etc, my mind started to convince me it was an engine problem but the rattle/vibration only started at 2200 and phased out at 3000rpm. I kept looking because (getting over the fear of bad things) I could tell it was like a harmonic vibration caused by the rev range - if that makes sense. Found a loose bolt around the bracket holding intercooler, nipped that up and problem solved. It doesn't take much for a high speed vibration/rattle to occur.
Good luck

Bit of a late reply busy with work an finding this anoyying rattle.
Here is a link sound kicks in around 4secs

if you cannot find any loose bolts, take the fan belt off and check the tensioner bearing and the one way clutch on the alternator. both have a habit of failing.

I get a very similar sound in mine sometimes. The problem with mine is that the front bumper jumps off it's mounts on the passenger side & vibrates like crazy. If you have a bullbar, this obviously won't be the issue, but if you still have the factory bumper it's worth checking, even if only to eliminate it as a cause.

Latest posts

Back