engine problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linc07nav

Reaction score
Hi all

1st time on the forum. I have an 07 2.5lt nav which will not start. I was driving it for about an hr. I was coming into a town so I slowed down and turned a corner put it back into 3rd and went to power on and it was like the waste gate was not opening and lost about 60% power and all of a sudden it started blowing a lot of black smoke and I could smell the unburnt diesel. So I pulled up and switched it off. Have a look under the bonnet seem to be fine. So I get back in and start it up and go to take off and it just wanted to stall. I finally got going when I got to about 2200rpm it was making a really bad rattle like the engine couldn't release the exhaust gas. While all this is going on its blowing a s#*t load of black smoke. I limped it to were I was staying the night which was about 6ks then turned it off and let it cool over night. Went out this morning to see what's going on and now it wont start. It just coughs and spluters and gets to about 500rpm then dies. It has a crook EGR valve which I found out the other day because its thrown an engine light. I no that because I borrowed my uncles scan tool

Any ideas thanks

I would start by checking everything turbo related, vacuum, actuator, blades, vgt fins etc.

No hot side hoses blown off ?

Cheers
Checked all intake pipes and turbo and vacuum. Tried running it with out the pipe on the intake were the butterfly is and it seems to be popping out the intake when I try to crank it up

Is this a D40 ? There shouldn't be a butterfly. Do you mean the MAF sensor right by the air filter ?

If the egr is stuck open it would be flooding the engine with exhaust gas chocking it. Try getting a blanking plate to put in it.

It could easily be a stuck EGR valve. Blanking plates are both cheap and easy to make from 1mm stainless steel (or 3mm mild steel). Make an exact copy of the gasket that's in there on the intake side and accidentally forget the larger of the three holes. Oops.

Checking the turbo operation is also a great suggestion. The easiest way to see if the vanes are working (vanes stuck in the closed position will give these symptoms too) is to look at the arm underneath the actuator. When the engine is idling, this arm should be moving about 3-5mm. If it's not, it could be hoses (very common particularly with age), solenoid (also common), brake booster fault (brakes will seem hard to operate) or a failing vac pump (brakes will also seem hard to operate). Replacing the vac hoses will cost you about $20. Replacing the solenoid (it should have battery voltage running at around 100Hz if it's getting a signal from the ECU) is easy enough (can't remember cost), most dealers carry stock.

Possible EGR wide open. I'd be looking there first.

I don't think it would be turbo related. You could bypass the turbo altogether on startup and idle, it would sit there happily idling away.

Found out today that I have a nice bill coming my way. The EGR has broken the valve and the injectors have s#*t them self.

Latest posts

Back