Engine problem d40 v6 2012

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavaraNavara

Reaction score
Hi,
I noticed lately a strange whining sound on the engine at low speed 20-30 mile

It goes like wa wa wa wa wa

Is it petrol or diesel? There are entirely different aspects to each engine. Drive trains are similar, and it might be in that.

Does the sound change in frequency (pitch) if you go faster? If it's a manual, does it make the sound when you're in neutral? If it's an auto, does it still make the sound if you take your foot off the throttle or does the sound stop straight away?

Diesel engine auto. The sound is diffently the engine or gearbox.

The sound comes only when i Press softly on the throttle. When i remove my foot no sound.

Is there any performance change in time with the sound? Do the revs change a little or is the tacho steady?

What happens if you plant your foot a little harder, is the performance "normal" ?

How long has it been since you've run any injector cleaner through a tank of fuel?

It could be the intercooler is a little full of oil and low-to-moderate air rates find it a bit difficult to make it through.

It could be that the turbocharger itself is struggling to spin up.

It could be the SCV is a little dirty and what you're noticing is a minor surging (also called "hunting" ) which is a symptom of a dirty SCV.

There might also be a small leak in the fuel hose between the filter and the fuel pump and at low fuel flow rates it's managing to get a little air into the system.

There might also be a leak in the EGR, or the EGR valve is having an issue, or the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger has started to disintegrate.

Lots of things to look at there. Hope one helps!

Probably best to do more diagnosis before dropping £5k (I assume you are in the UK) on intercooler and turbo replacement.

Yep.
You did talk about miles, only really used in the UK and US, and no Navaras in US!

Unless you were talking about Swedish miles, but you wouldn't be driving 20 of those miles per hour.

Latest posts

Back