Engine blow up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tane

Reaction score
Just trying to understand whats was gone wrong but not 100%. I was driving on the highway when it started losing power then it lost all power and was maked some shit noises and poured out black smoke. After doing a compression test, cylinders 1 and 2 had no compression, so made the call to pull everything apart. After pulling the front timing chain cover off I could see the double row chain for the cam gears was just holding on and one side of the chain. So I thought it might be saveable and maybe just jumped a tooth on the sprocket and the valves didn't kiss the piston. So just took the head off and got a nice surprise between cylinders 1 and 2, a fully melted hole through the head, but also looked like the center of 3 and 4 had been passed a bit of air through. But the real question is how haven't the valves hit the piston and there are no markings at all on the valves of pistons, whats happened.
IMG-7903.jpg
IMG-8306.jpg
IMG-8310.jpg
IMG-8312.jpg
IMG-8314.jpg
IMG-8316.jpg
IMG-8318.jpg
IMG-8319.jpg

Hmm... might be unrelated problems?

Maybe the inner cam chain has been like that for a while and the outer chain has been doing the heavy lifting?

And the head gasket failed separately?

Has the motor been running well lately?
Anything strange or different leading up to this?

Hmm... might be unrelated problems?

Maybe the inner cam chain has been like that for a while and the outer chain has been doing the heavy lifting?

And the head gasket failed separately?

Has the motor been running well lately?
Anything strange or different leading up to this?
Nah, that's why it's weird, it was running fine with the same power until then, I was thinking what your saying but can I be that unlucky

It's an usual fault. Maybe it got too hot - the head gasket damage is right in the middle of the engine where it could be subjected to the most heat.

Still, it looks like you could get it going again. Consider timing chains from yd25.com.au too.

Its injector failure... start burning like blowtorch and melted cylinder head... seen previously I think on euro 5 yd25...

Heard from another guy recently that he had a Hilux ( I know this is a Nissan forum) and one of the injectors went from spray to jet and blew a hole through his piston, apparently Toyota told him they recommend changing the injectors at 100,000 klm due to the high pressure that common rail runs at. Haven't heard of this for the D40 4 &V6s

Latest posts

Back