Engel, ARB, EvaKool....what to buy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm in the need for a camping/4wd fridge, and i have many choices out there on the market.

Of all the various brands, i've narrowed it down to one of the following:
- ARB 47L
- Engel 40L
- EvaKool 40L or 47L

Of everyone i've talked to, these seem to be the brands to look at buying. So for those in the know and preferably those with some experience in one or more of these brands of fridge, state your case.

Considering the money invested in a fridge, I really only want to have to buy my fridge once.

I would go the ARB or Engel, I own a Evakool but I think the ARB is a better designed fridge.

Joshman,
I have just been in the same spot as you, tough one hey...

Beginning of the year a few mates and I did a trip to SA, Vic and then WA (4 weeks) we had 2 Engels and an ARB fridge. Couple goods and bads about each..
Engel: They're metal... tough as nails and have the reliability to go with it, I've had friends who have pulled them from the cupboard after two years and they don't skip a beat.
ARB: It's plastic... although, it has a digital thermo, gets colder and stays colder by 10-15degrees longer than the engel. (we had our power supply drop out while camping and by the time we realised the Engels had gone from -1 - 0 to 15-20 and the ARB was sitting at 5).

Long story short, I just bought an ARB and love it, highly recommend.

We've got a Liemack 50l which in recent years was marketed as a Reefer, (same parts, different company) I know it's not on your list above but ours has done 3 trips around oz coast line, 4 trips across the Nullarbor and every fishing trip and holiday we've taken as well as being used for parties and bbq's.

They aren't as easy to pick up as the other brands and I'd even consider a looked after second hand one before many new fridges, parts are still available although the chances of needing them are pretty slim, in 14 years we've only needed to replace the inverter and that was to put a bigger one in. They use a Mitsu compressor, steel construction, magnetically sealed lid, LED temp display, variable (if you know electronics) voltage cut out as well as motor temp cut out and come with an inverter. They were never cheap to buy and I have no idea how the new Reefers compare but after 14 odd years the $1200 we originally spent was worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for a 40l engel for a few reasons, but I probably had my mind made up before looking around. Mainly because I know a few people with fridges and they all had engels and never had a problem.

When comparing them have a look at the inner basket sizes. When I compared the wacoe to the engel (both 40l) I was amazed at how much smaller the wacoe one is. The engel also takes knocks well being made of metal.

Another brand to consider is the National Luna, they have dual zones and two thermostats so you can set the temp in each compartment as you like.

Since you are outlaying good money and you want to buy something that will last, consider the 'Trailblazer' by Norcoast refrigeration. I have used Chescold, Engel, ARB but nothing comes close to the Trailbalzer. Three inches thick insulation (or 4 or 5 if you want) will outperform anyother on the market and they are built to last. Engel and ARB have to put a travel bag on theirs to try and improve the insulation. They are built very tough and the ONLY drawback I believe is their size due to the extra insulation. But this is what makes them efficient. Sure they draw more current (while the compressor is running) but they get to colder quicker, hold it for longer and run for a shorter period of time which equates to lower battery drain over a given period. Thumbs up from me. Spewing I sold it 'cause I didn't have the room with a growing family. Now I hav the NAV, I wish I had it back. Currently running the ARB, and as I said before, it doesn't compare.

Evakool go on the same idea as trailblazer but not to the same extent.

The don't need a bag and the fridgemate plastic versions can be picked up for a good price on ebay - you could either pay less or pay the same but get a bigger size.

They can also be a fridge and freezer at the same time
5 year warranty too and Aussie made/assembled
My 70L done a fair bit bouncing around and hasn't missed a beat

If I could pick again it would be a danfoss compressor and either ARB or evakool. But I reckon Evakool would still win me on price and insulation 2nd time round

P.S.
I have a weaco 110L that came with my new car for sale if you wanted something that big. Comes with bag. Danfoss compressor. Selling for cheap

The things to look for are power consumption and efficiency and getting the right balance. There's no point in having a low-power unit that has to run the compressor the entire time to maintain the cool!

We have an Engel (in a travel bag) and while we're happy with it, we might explore one of the plastic-cased units next time, because they insulate better, as long as they have a danfoss compressor (probably the world's best, most efficient unit). The Engel has a Sawafuji "Swing" compressor which is good in moderate temperatures but struggles in major heat. Part of that might be the lack of good insulation.

I'm liking this thread as it is the fridge is the next major purchase and to be honest I'm worried I'll end up with something that doesn't meet my expectations. The input on here is helpful.

I don't want anything too big - 40l should be ample.

I was considering an Engel but recently have swayed towards ARB - mainly due to weight, although I haven't actually checked out the weight, it's just a 'metal' perception. I will check it out. Price comes into it also - value for money.

EDIT: Well I have checked the weights of ARB & Engel and only 1 - 2 kg difference. Waeco are the lightest.

Last edited:
Have you guys considered the Bushman fridge? I don't have a portable fridge, I'm still using an icebox, but by all reports people who own the Bushman have nothing but praise for them!

Cheers Brad

Thanks Brad. They look to be pretty solid and well made. Just sent off an enquiry for prices.

The reason I wouldn't go the evakool again is the temp control is too coarse, exposed plate, difficult to mount because of the size (mines 60l) and the condenser plate is cooled by a fan which sucks in dust effecting efficiency and kills the bearings.
Don't get me wrong they still work excellent, super tough with a fibreglass body and great on Amps, I'll keep using mine until it dies, but I do think there is better, but they will cost more.

I give a big tick to the evakool. Aussie made (in Caloundra). I have an 85Lt

I also have a 38Lt Engel - plastic case.
I like the fact that the evakools were a great esky before they were a fridge. So to my way of thinking if it did ever die in the middle of a trip, the temp would hold until you could add some ice.

I didn't go the Bushman cause of it's shape. They don't look like they'd pack well special with the fittings to expand it's size, just makes it look awkward.

Just my opinion

Can you guys have a lookat the Bushman and tell me what you think.

$1195-00 from a local dealer. The one fridge can be made into four sizes - 35ltr, 42ltr, 45ltr or 52litr. The package comes with all the fittings, a dairy cage and the insulated cover, tie down brackets etc - see the site below.

THE BUSHMAN 12 VOLT FRIDGE FREEZER FOR CAMPING & FOUR WHEEL DRIVE

Not so sure on the way the baskets stack in, could be PITA getting to the bottom.

Leprechaun raised a good point in a PM - and he knows my Navara set up - and that is that in the size I want ARB or Engel has a better door set up in that they open length way as opposed to side ways. Will give much easier access from my Nav.

The Forum saves my arse once again!!!

Leprechaun raised a good point in a PM - and he knows my Navara set up - and that is that in the size I want ARB or Engel has a better door set up in that they open length way as opposed to side ways. Will give much easier access from my Nav.

The Forum saves my arse once again!!!

IMO, 40 litre plastic engel would be perfect for you, a mates got one and never said anything bad about it.
Think they're $899. cant go wrong.:cheers!:

Latest posts

Back