Electric light problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calanda98

Reaction score
Hello together
I have a 2008 Nissan Navara 2.5dci 126kW
I have the problem that several trailers do not work the light properly. With most of them everything flashes slightly. And in the speedometer a symbol of two turn signals and a 1 flashes with. The brake light works partly and then the indicators light up instead of the brake light on the trailer. Then everything lights up again. And another time everything works again. (Depending on the trailer). Had so far only one trailer which worked without problems.
Today I wanted to connect a caravan and since then my high beam does not work anymore - not even the headlight flasher. But the dipped beam light works. On the caravan the position light on the right side wobbles while driving. And the brake light does not work once and once again. I have connected and tested an additional light set (for trailers without lights) directly to the Nissan. There only the turn signals work. Brake light does not work. (The set is brand new)
I just do not understand it.
The fuses on the Nissan are all good.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Greets

Last edited:
Had so far only one trailer which worked without problems.
As a guess, I would say that that is the only trailer with incandescent globes fitted to it. The rest of the trailers have LED lights. Are you propositions correct? The D40s have monitoring to check if there are trailer lights connected. It is that monitoring that is causing the trailer lights to flash intermittently.

To get things working properly you need to connect a load resistor across each of the trailer lights that are not working properly. These load resistors draw enough extra current to make it look like there incandescent globes connected. If you don't understand then ask an auto electrician.

i have had this problem in about 3 of my old cars (not hooked up to trailer) , its always been earth problem. i found mainly hapenned were there were more than one wire to earth. what happens is the top wire earths through the globe fillament of the second wire which goes back to the earth bolt.. 2nd light on is dimmer than the first and so on and so on.
Circuit Example
Consider a very simple circuit consisting of four light bulbs and one 6 V battery. If a wire joins the battery to one bulb, to a second bulb, to a third bulb, then back to the battery, in one continuous loop, the bulbs are said to be in series. If the three light bulbs are connected in series, the same current flows through all of them, and the voltage drop is 1.5 V across each bulb and that may not be sufficient to make them glow.

Series Circuit Diagram

Trailer lights flickering, going dull or different lights working are usually an earth problem as izzi said and even seen them relying on the ball to make an earth.
As a guess, I would say that that is the only trailer with incandescent globes fitted to it. The rest of the trailers have LED lights. Are you propositions correct? The D40s have monitoring to check if there are trailer lights connected. It is that monitoring that is causing the trailer lights to flash intermittently.

To get things working properly you need to connect a load resistor across each of the trailer lights that are not working properly. These load resistors draw enough extra current to make it look like there incandescent globes connected. If you don't understand then ask an auto electrician.
Re the above on the D40 sensing and needing to put resistors, thought about that while wiring my tray in it doesn't seem right that the D40 would only be able to sense incandescent globes, for sure the truck indicators need resistors if globes are changed to led but any external lighting like a trailer would be additional and should just make the flasher work slower.
If you need resisters do you have to put them on all circuits and is there a min or max number as trailers can have a wide variety of different loads including brakes and road lights.

thinking back i had problem connected 7 pin to 5 pin trailer plug had to change a couple of the wires around , cant remember what the lights were doing

Unfortunately some people (auto electricians included) think they have a better way of wiring up trailers, so they do it their own way ... not following any standard. I would check that all of your connectors are following the same standard.

One of those standard things would be the earth (more accurately, "battery negative" ) wire - your trailer SHOULD have one, if it has a 7 or 12 pin plug.

As noted, the D40 monitors the load on the indicator circuit and if it senses a higher-than-normal load, it assumes that you have a trailer connected and it flashes the extra lights so that you know the trailer bulbs are working. When the trailer is connected and those extra lights aren't working, you can safely assume there might be a problem with the trailer's indicators.

This often doesn't work with LED lights because LED units draw so little current it's hard to tell if they're connected. Standard indicator globes are 21W (almost 2 amps) whereas the LED units can draw just 3W (0.25 amps).

Hello together
I have a 2008 Nissan Navara 2.5dci 126kW
I have the problem that several trailers do not work the light properly. With most of them everything flashes slightly. And in the speedometer a symbol of two turn signals and a 1 flashes with. The brake light works partly and then the indicators light up instead of the brake light on the trailer. Then everything lights up again. And another time everything works again. (Depending on the trailer). Had so far only one trailer which worked without problems.
Today I wanted to connect a caravan and since then my high beam does not work anymore - not even the headlight flasher. But the dipped beam light works. On the caravan the position light on the right side wobbles while driving. And the brake light does not work once and once again. I have connected and tested an additional light set (for trailers without lights) directly to the Nissan. There only the turn signals work. Brake light does not work. (The set is brand new)
I just do not understand it.
The fuses on the Nissan are all good.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Greets

I had exactly the same problems with a D22 when connected to a caravan about 4 years ago; my issue was that the previous owner of the caravan had taken the earth wire from the loom that powers the lights/electric brakes in the caravan & had used it as an earth for a battery in a box on the draw bar.
As soon as I reinstated the earth wire into the loom, my problems went away.

Re your problems with your headlights, have you tried re-setting the ECU?

Latest posts

Back