Electric brakes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noelos

Reaction score
Wiring a Nisson Navara np300 2018 with Tekonsha 3 cannot use the brake light switch( bad arms ) want to join at or near tail light wiring any advice please

Seriously, get someone to help you to connect it to the brake switch. Running a cable from the lights at the rear all the way back into the cabin (which is where the controller needs to be) will cause a significant voltage drop and this may affect braking performance. I should add at this point that a minimum of 6 sqmm electrical cable is vital to reduce voltage drop from the controller to the vehicle's towing plug at the rear - again, to reduce losses. Current is a big killer with thin wires - apply the brakes and watch the wires heat up, melt through the insulator and short out, reducing the braking ability to zero very quickly, and possibly starting a fire (yes, it's happened before).

My controller is at my left knee, so that I can adjust the 'boost' level of the controller, and give the manual switch a small gentle touch if the caravan ever gets a little sway happening, or if I'm descending a steep hill.

Just run the twin wires back to the trailer plug, one for the brakes and one for the brake switch. Easiest way to do it.

I would also suggest as old tony said re getting it done especially the 6mm cable to the brakes and especially so if braking dual axles ( I would use 6B&S on dual axle), can't see where you are but if in NSW and towing over 2 ton you need a breakaway setup and a remote monitor in the cab.
If not sure definitely check it out or get it wired by someone who does know.

Seriously, get someone to help you to connect it to the brake switch. Running a cable from the lights at the rear all the way back into the cabin (which is where the controller needs to be) will cause a significant voltage drop and this may affect braking performance
Seriously, the wire from the brake switch is only a trigger wire, it draws very little current so the voltage drop is zilch. That is also the recommended method of wiring the brake operating trigger for any vehicle with bus control of the electrics. In those cases you have to find a place that is not digitally controlled, the most reliable place to find that is at the brake light or the wire to the trailer socket. Even with the D22 that does not have bus control from the switches it is a sound method of picking up the trigger signal.

The wire size from the brake switch where ever you pick it up from is not that important but the wire size going back to the brakes is very important for voltage drop, you will get by with 6mm but I tend to overdo most things and would use heavier for dual brakes.

, can't see where you are but if in NSW and towing over 2 ton you need a breakaway setup and a remote monitor in the cab.
Whilst the requirements for a BATTERY monitor capable of checking the battery health in the breakaway controller was written into some of the various instructions it was never included in the regulations. As it was not in the regs it was then shown that the instructions were not applicable. The fitting of that monitor has never been a regulatory requirement, the instructions have either been rewritten or in the process of being rewritten.

THANK S TO ALL YOU GUYS THAT GAVE ADVICE THE JOB IS COMPLETED NBOW RAN HEAVIER TWIN DOWN WITH POWER TO HOOK UP THE VAN AND INTO THE WIREING FROM THE & FLAT WORKS A CHARM

Whilst the requirements for a BATTERY monitor capable of checking the battery health in the breakaway controller was written into some of the various instructions it was never included in the regulations. As it was not in the regs it was then shown that the instructions were not applicable. The fitting of that monitor has never been a regulatory requirement, the instructions have either been rewritten or in the process of being rewritten.
News to me but haven't been involved in doing this for a few years but good if so as my van inadvertently got rated over 2100 kg after I modified it (wanted 1990kg) and while I put the breakaway on refused to put a monitor in or charge it from the tow vehicle but it's registered in Vic although the tow vehicle is NSW.
Good one Noelos.

News to me but haven't been involved in doing this for a few years but good if so as my van inadvertently got rated over 2100 kg after I modified it (wanted 1990kg)
Which weight are you referring to? The requirement for the breakaway requirement is based on the GTM and not the ATM. Vans that are 2000 kg GTM or under do not require a breakaway controller to be fitted.

Latest posts

Back