EGR Delete Good or Bad idea?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerrosD40

Reaction score
So i just bought a d40 with 160,000km's on it and noticed a leak in the egr on the right where it bolts on to the exhaust manifold. I looked it up and found that you can delete the whole system if you want to. I was wondering if this would be a good thing to do to my car or if it would potentially create more problems than it would fix. Anyway i was wondering if wether i should do the delete or just get it replaced. either way i would be interested to hear what everyone has to say. Thanks

There's no risk of damage to the engine if you remove the EGR, which is purely there to help combat emissions (dampening combustion lowers combustion temperature reducing production of oxides of nitrogen).

Some models have a flow sensor that looks for incoming EGR to ensure that the system hasn't been bypassed but it's not entirely clear which ones have it , usually anything older than 2012 is pretty safe.

Hi Tony.
mine is a 2007 STX with EGR delete from yd25comau.
I read from somewhere recently that the delete can cause the DPF to not do occasional burnoff. therefore causing issues etc and limp mode. Is this true? Read that this can be solved with aftermarket sensor.

Mine had it done at 130K but it has not had a hard life prior to 125K so not much soot in the system and intercooler is quite reasonably clean. So the mechanic says. So far with another 15K on it, I have not had any cissues, but I have not pushed it very hard yet. So maybe mine came with the dumb cpu?

There is some talk about deleting egrs causing the combustion temperatures to increase and potentially damaging injectors.
I don't believe it though.

I have a 2014 D22, 98.000K, I originally blocked the egr valve then decided to remove it thinking its part of the engine system. I remove the engine intercooler about every 4 to 6 months and clean it.
How, once the intercooler is removed from the engine place it upside down on the garage floor and fill with kero, let stand for a couple of hours, then empty replace with degreaser flush out and place back on the vehicle. Nearly forgot when the intercooler is removed I start engine and spray liquid Molly carbon cleaner directly into the egr valve.
I have since placed a catch can on the vehicle, checked the interior cooler 2 weeks ago big difference between before oil in it and after catch can.

EGR and DPF are separate systems that perform emission control for different parts of the emissions.

The EGR causes combustion temps to cool which reduces the production of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) which is a greenhouse gas. Unfortunately EGR also causes additional soot and a small reduction in power. It is NOT operational at idle or at full throttle, only at the midrange.

The DPF is - as the name implies - a particulate filter, which takes the soot in the exhaust and holds it until it can be fully burnt (during a "DPF regen" ).

The two systems are not directly connected - EGR is on the intake manifold, DPF is in the exhaust after the dump pipe + catalytic converter. Excessive EGR can cause excessive soot which can block the DPF and cause a regen sooner. The DPF has no impact at all on the EGR.

There's no risk of damage to the engine if you remove the EGR, which is purely there to help combat emissions (dampening combustion lowers combustion temperature reducing production of oxides of nitrogen).

Some models have a flow sensor that looks for incoming EGR to ensure that the system hasn't been bypassed but it's not entirely clear which ones have it , usually anything older than 2012 is pretty safe.

Is there any risk from delete of overheating engine, engine knock or when the ecu can't cool the engine down with EGR?

Have you done a delete?
Was it worth it?

Last edited:
Is there any risk from delete of overheating engine, engine knock or when the ecu can't cool the engine down with EGR?

Have you done a delete?
Was it worth it?

In real terms (from actually driving with a blocked EGR), you end up with a slight improvement in performance, a slight reduction in fuel consumption, and a visible reduction in black smoke. EGR isn't active at full throttle anyway (by design), so when you're asking the most of your engine, the engine isn't using EGR and can cope with the demands - so I don't believe that the engine needs EGR in order to cool down.

It's the same at idle - while you're idling your engine, there's no EGR being commanded, so the ECU isn't using EGR as a cooling function. It's an emission control mechanism - not a terrible idea, to be honest about it, because reducing combustion temps below the temps where NOx is created removes them altogether - but if there weren't a requirement for cars to comply with a particular level of emissions, EGR wouldn't even be a parrt of the system because it inhibits combustion and reduces the power output of the motor.

Back