Dont buy 550 navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra

Reaction score
Have done only 1600 kms in my new V6 ST-X deisel been up the bush twice just playing and found that the new 7 speed auto in manual mode wont hold 1st gear in low range past 1800rpm and 2nd past 3000rpm which means you MUST use your brakes the whole way down the hill to control your speed no engine braking at all.
I have had the ute looked at by nissan they say it is normal !!!
If anyone is thinking about buying one think twice if you plan on any sort of bush driving that requires low range on down hill desents because low range is next to useless to you !!!
I bought the V6 as I plan on buying a camper trailer which I would like to tow into the high country and the like but with no way of creeping down a hill without using brakes all the way with a camper in tow the ute is useless to me
Have to make a decision to keep the 55K ute and get someone to modify the speed sencer or trade in on a 2.5l manual which I traded on the V6 to start with ?

Dad has a patrol 4.5 auto put it in manual mode 1st low and you can rev it to red line still wont change up to second !!! That gives you engine braking if the hill isn't to steep for the car to run on you dont need to use brakes. But if the car changes up you get faster then it changes up again guess what you get faster again so you have to be on the brakes all the time regardless how small the hill your going down

The Hilux is the same, one of the guy's that comes with us all the time has an auto Hilux and he is for ever winging about the same thing.
There is a number of things that can be done to auto's to make them awesome off road.

Also as for the trailer.......... GET ONE WITH ELECTRIC BRAKES

4wd tv keep advertising (lets face it, thats all they do) some crowd that mods autos to make them more suitable. Google?

There should be a way to rewrite the auto programming the same way they do with commodores to make them hold there gears longer and to change gears faster, like puttin a shift kit in older autos.

Does anyone know of a place to have remapping done on the transmission ?
I have found a mob in melbourne called wholesale automatic transmissions that said they might be able to bypass the speed senser so the transmission wont know when to change so it wont change at all .

Does anyone know of a place to have remapping done on the transmission ?
I have found a mob in melbourne called wholesale automatic transmissions that said they might be able to bypass the speed senser so the transmission wont know when to change so it wont change at all .

If they can do it so that it's reversible (in case of warranty etc) then I say do it. It'll probably be cheaper than any other alternative (eg replacing the TCM in the gearbox sump - which those guys do as well).

Thought about getting out of my 06 d22 into a STX550, glad I didn't. She may have farm technology, she may be boring inside, but she doesn't give me any grief.... And I outright own her.

If they can do it so that it's reversible (in case of warranty etc) then I say do it. It'll probably be cheaper than any other alternative (eg replacing the TCM in the gearbox sump - which those guys do as well).

It would be controlled via a switch in cab so the idea would be to only use it on desents it would be no advantage on climbs as the V6 eats all but the roughest hills in high range 1st gear

Should come std with an override switch
They aren't really marketing the 550 as an offroader
It's more of a tow/toured setup

The Hilux is the same, one of the guy's that comes with us all the time has an auto Hilux and he is for ever winging about the same thing.
There is a number of things that can be done to auto's to make them awesome off road.

Also as for the trailer.......... GET ONE WITH ELECTRIC BRAKES

Interesting..... We have the latest model Prado TD Auto which is similar to the Hilux and it definitely does not do this..... I would be surprised if the hilux did do this.....

Yeah the 550's gearbox is shit, doesn't do anything that well. I found the most annoying thing was the turbo lag caused the gearbox to down shift then it would scream. I got mine chipped which has combatted the turbo lag so don't have the same issues.

Now i'm not going to win any friends here but anyway. If its off road performance is the main selling point, don't get a D40. Look at one stock, they really aren't built for it. Low range 4x4 stuff is your main focus, get a Landrover Defender.

But yeah it is frustrating having to ride your brakes everywhere

Yeah the 550's gearbox is shit, doesn't do anything that well. I found the most annoying thing was the turbo lag caused the gearbox to down shift then it would scream. I got mine chipped which has combatted the turbo lag so don't have the same issues.

Now i'm not going to win any friends here but anyway. If its off road performance is the main selling point, don't get a D40. Look at one stock, they really aren't built for it. Low range 4x4 stuff is your main focus, get a Landrover Defender.

But yeah it is frustrating having to ride your brakes everywhere

Hey how'd you go with the chip did you get it sorted out?

Just curious here.... but does the new 550 have all these annoying beeps/buzzers if u open the door while the engine is running; if u don't have it in Parked (ie Neutral) while the engine is running and open the door plus all the other annoying things that the car manufacturers think we, "the simple dump, don't know how drive cars" people needd these days to help us drive safely.....?

Speed sensor is usually a detectable fault. Don't be surprised if it throws a code every time you flick the switch. What happens if you hold the selector in the downshift position whilst going down the hill?

Latest posts

Back