DIY: Bullbar LED Light Upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stepenberries

Reaction score
Disclaimer: Do this, don't do this, this is up to you. I eat crayons so what do I know, I'm just trying to be helpful.

Difficulty:
5/10 – Easy Does It

Tools:
Electrical tape
Wire strippers/cutters
CF13 3-pin led flasher relay
Heat shrink (optional)
Dremel/rotary tool
Sikaflex
Phillip/Flat head screwdriver
Soldering iron / solder (optional)
ebay spec LED's

Useful info:
You’ll need to take apart the center console to get to the flasher relay
The LED lights can be ordered on eBay, mine was $20. Patrol fitting bullbar LED lights will also be suitable. You might be able to find one that fits directly, but I couldn’t find one with the right dimensions…

The new LED flasher relay is a 3-pin CR13
The OEM flasher relay is a 3-pin Niles Flasher Relay IF353

Justification:
Hectic cuz

DIY:
Step 1:
UNPLUG BATTERY!!!!

Remove the OEM lights from the bulbar, remove the 4 screws and unplug the wiring harness from behind

1632398017172.png

Step 2:
Cut off the plug on the light side, leave yourself some wire so you can strip it and heat shrink it to the new LED.

1632398024545.png
1632398027735.png

Step 3:
On the OEM plug:
Green wire = indicator
Red wire = parking light
Black = ground

Wire up the LED light to the OEM wiring plug you’ve just cut. For the one I ordered on eBay, the yellow wire coming from the LED was the indicator, which went to the green wire on the plug. The white wire on the LED was the parkers, which went to the red wire on the plug. The ground wires can be all put together as they are all black.

Solder, heatshrink and tape it all up to waterproof and protect the wires

1632398032621.png

Step 4:

Place the back of the LED light against the OEM plastic outer housing part to determine how much you need to cut to get them to fit. For mine, the height was fine, but the length did not fit so it had to be cut. I used an ozito (Bunnings version of Dremel) rotary tool

Cut the two bolt holes on the sides of the LED light clean off – you don’t need these mounting holes
Cut the OEM plastic outer housing to make it fit (before on the left, after on the right)

1632398041861.png

Sikaflex the outside of the back of the LED lights and fit them into the OEM plastic outer housing. I used the Sikaflex shown below:

1632398046736.png

After the Sikaflex with the LED fitted into the OEM plastic outer housing

1632398052320.png

Use some weights to keep it pressed down and let it cure for 24hrs before installation

1632398057801.png

Step 5:
You need to change out the flasher relay in the car for the indicators to fix the fast-flashing issue. For more info on the fast flashing, google/youtube it. If you can live with it, that’s fine no harm done, but you may burn your bulbs slightly quicker

To change the relay you need to locate it behind the centre trim where the air-conditioning and radio is.

Use a flat head screw driver at the top of the centre trim above the radio to get behind it and pry it off. Start on the right and work your way to the left. You can then get it off and pull it down to remove it from the centre frame. There will be the radio, aircon and cigarette still plugged in. Put this centre trim aside for now. It will look like this:

1632398078540.png

Step 6:
Locate the relay, shown here. It is below the aircon controls and you’ll be able to see them if you go to eye level and look under the aircon controls. They are black and grey (possibly 2 black). The relay to the right is the one you need.

1632398084140.png

Remove the black bolt above the relay to get the entire holding frame out. If you can remove the relay without doing this, then great. But its much easier to just remove it.

Step 7:
You will need to replace the OEM relay with an LED flasher relay, part number CF13. Do not buy a CF14 as the pins are switched and it will not work. I got mine from Jaycar for $15 though eBay has heaps….

OEM flasher relay

1632398099858.png

New LED flasher relay

1632398110736.png

Step 8:
Mine was a bit bigger, so I disassembled the relay, drilled 2 holes in the side and cable tied it to the holding frame like this:

1632398115473.png

Step 9:
Reinstall the relay and the holding frame and put the trim pieces back together. Probably a good idea to test the lights work before doing this as well…

Step 10:
Whack the OEM plastic outer housing back into the bulbar and put the connections/cable time them.
Should be all done

1632398127152.png

Dimensions of the ebay one I bought

1632398206962.png

Last edited:
These ones should be a direct screw in replacement if you don't want to have the mess of cutting and gluing the housing: Repco led park/indicator

They are what TJM run in their bullbars. You can find them a little cheaper at places other than repco ... still need to do the cut and splice on the wiring. Not sure about the flasher can; I did them in the daughter's d40 and she hasn't complained about the flash speed. I will touch bases and update here later.

I can verify no issues with flash speed with the units stocked by Repco in the link above - save you even more work ...

Latest posts

Back