Diff Breather

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsdave

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if the D40 has any form of diff and gearbox breather that is high up. If not what is invoved in fitting something. I've found several threads related to the D22 but nothing in relation to the D40 specificly. Not sure if there is anything factory fitted. Any advise muchly appreciated.

Cheers Dave

Front diff breather on mine was up fairly high. All I did was install a filter on the end of it. Rear diff needed a breather riser because it is in a terrible place - right on top of the axle tube.

Personally, I never installed gearbox breather risers because I never intend on being in water deep enough to require them so can't tell you where the factory gearbox breather is.

I have a electronic manual and it shows the breather tubes for the transfer and gearbox(all D40 4x4 models) goes to a clamp on the top bolt of the bell housing.There are three breathers,transfer,g/box and transfer control device.

Last edited:
is there anything special ya need to extend the diff breater or is it a simple case of some tube a couple of hose clamps and a little filter???

the breather on the rear diff is pretty much a funnel. my mechanic replaced the diff oil at 30 000km. only done about 2 000 on dirt..
gonna extend it this week end.

i fitted my rear diff breather just 3 days ago...i had to actually rip off the mushroom head on it then heated the tube to fit onto the nipple itself and hosed clamped it and fed the tube along the brake lines into the engine bay rather than the back tray. also since the rear is poorly protected u should fit a protector over your tubin and abs cable while ur under their.

i havnt looked for the front diff breather yet but keep u posted once iv done it.

Front diff breather terminates up near the airbox.

Rear diff breather will unscrew, and you can screw in a brass barb fitting (available at places like auto pro) then some decent oil resistant hose and run it to wherever you want.

Front diff breather terminates up near the airbox.

Rear diff breather will unscrew, and you can screw in a brass barb fitting (available at places like auto pro) then some decent oil resistant hose and run it to wherever you want.

When i did mine i found the front breather hose had no kind of filter on it so i went to the auto parts store and bought two inline fuel filters,one for each hose,the plastic ones you find on old commodores.Only a few bucks each and they do the job.

Last edited:
When i did mine i found the front breather hose had no kind of filter on it so i went to the auto parts store and bought two inline fuel filters,one for each hose,the plastic ones you find on old commodores.Only a few bucks each and they do the job.

cheers for the info...thank god the front diff breather is already high...mates 07 hilux front diff breather was in a really pr*** of a spot.

I teed mine into the gearbox breather hose.

i was going to do that also but the enzed guy told me he wouldn't, so i took his word as a hose expert and ran it all the way up to the top engine bay.

I probably wouldn't tee mine together but I've been reading this thread and wondering how vital it is that the thing breathes in the first place, and if it's needed for (say) expansion or contraction of 50ml of air, why not just install a 100ml rubber bladder (like a fuel line hand pump) and tie that off on the chassis somewhere? If the diff expanded, the rubber would allow that, if it contracted the rubber would allow that too. If it was dunked in water, it's sealed, so no problem.

i was going to do that also but the enzed guy told me he wouldn't, so i took his word as a hose expert and ran it all the way up to the top engine bay.

I was a bit wary but only thought it would be a problem if either oil became atomised and travelled the length of the hose to the other point. I don't think it can happen and haven't had any problems yet.

I probably wouldn't tee mine together but I've been reading this thread and wondering how vital it is that the thing breathes in the first place, and if it's needed for (say) expansion or contraction of 50ml of air, why not just install a 100ml rubber bladder (like a fuel line hand pump) and tie that off on the chassis somewhere? If the diff expanded, the rubber would allow that, if it contracted the rubber would allow that too. If it was dunked in water, it's sealed, so no problem.

theoretically that could work

I have a electronic manual and it shows the breather tubes for the transfer and gearbox(all D40 4x4 models) goes to a clamp on the top bolt of the bell housing.There are three breathers,transfer,g/box and transfer control device.

I have the front and rear breathers sorted. However I have some water crossings coming up and wondering whether the breathers fitted to the gearbox, transfer case etc are high enough? Thoughts and ideas welcomed.

Gus

Yeah Gus ... bladders. Fully sealed, half-inflated at cold will allow further inflation when hot, and further deflation when your brass monkey is singing soprano.

I can't get under to check things out at the moment but that's gotta be the way to go.

Thanks Tony when it stop raining here I'll brave the weather and have a look at what I gotta do.

I used a 1/8bspt fitting for rear diff and run the hose back to the engine bay up high and dry the front breather extend it as well use 1/4 soft hose and a couple of filters on the end

Hey guys

I want to do all 4 breathers. I have located the front and rear diff breathers. But I can't find the gearbox or transfer case ones. Can anyone help? Also, I know the front and rear diff breather ports are a 1/8bsp fittings. Are the gearbox and transfer case fittings also 1/8bsp?

Thanks

The gearbox has a funny steel tube arrangement on top of the bellhousing. I am not sure where they go or if they go anywhere at all. They may just be an open tube knowing manufactures ideas of offroad vehicle! lol

In fact thinking a bit harder about it I think that is all they are.

Latest posts

Back