Dash light wont go out

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nig

Reaction score
Hi ppl, lm Nigel, new member. My D40Y d25, has these two dash lights that will only turn off if i remove dattery terminal, other than this they wont turn off, been chasing this problem for a few mths now, removed fuses and relays one at a time, checked a double checked lights and wiring, even rewired all spoties, i also notice if i disconect the negitive lead and touch it to the pole it dose throw a small spark, also when i reconnect this the engine dose run smoother like its repowering a circuit. has me stumped any help would be greatly appreciated, this motor has cat deleate usual particulate circuit bloked off as the butterfly unit is Rs, intake and intercooler is cleaned, Catch can fitted.

Attachments

• 20210323_191912.jpg
    20210323_191912.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 35
Howdy... So you're not a photographer eh or am I doing something wrong, I can't see anything in that picture..

Do a "parasitic draw" test on the fuse board... And try again with the photography;)

Hey Nigel, welcome to the forum.

So we're talking about the background lighting in the instrument cluster's LCD panels yes? That's what it looks like to me, anyway.

Have you ever popped the centre console out, to remove or replace the stereo? If not, it's pretty easy to get to what I need to test this theory out ...

The instrument cluster and the stereo share an earth and sometimes that earth isn't good (either through age, vibration or manipulation when someone changes the stereo). When this earth goes bad, it does cause all sorts of weird behaviour as the instrument cluster tries to get an earth through other circuits. Yours could be trying to do it through the panel backlighting.

You'll need to get access to the stereo's casing which is inside the dash. The easiest way is to pop out the little tray above the stereo, slip a blade under the tray closest to the rear of the vehicle (away from the windscreen) and lift it vertically up. It has a press-in catch that releases under mild pressure. When it pops, lift the tray a little more then pull it towards you. The stereo is right underneath.

The test is to get a piece of wire about 2m long, attach one end to a bolt under the dash, and touch the other end to the casing of the stereo. Look at those lights - if they go out, just add an earth in a less obvious way and it's done.

If that doesn't work, it might be a problem with the connectors in the back of the instrument cluster itself. You can reach them from lying down under the steering column but it's a long stretch. Thankfully all you're trying to do is wiggle them and see if the lights go out (a helper here would be handy).

Let us know how you go.

Danmmm, and I just got my eyes checked too.. steering column stalks can play tricks too but I'd be thinking earth/s. Weird one! No other electrical issues?

I know from my Ford days that the "dash earth in the LEFT kick panel" did some hilarious things to lights indicators radio etc Got me real good in Melbourne Central one dark wet busy night, the dash went off like it was being tampered with by 20 Aliens! Headlights flickering radio off then on inercators would set the fan off ! True story ;)

Thanks guys it dose have a aftermarket android stereo, i did check that found the black earth wire is anchored to a matal steel support, couldnt work out what earth wire coulor is on the main harness so i could conect the earth up propper, not sure if its red/white or brown, i did find the battery wire was actualy hooked to the Ill wire.this was porered by dash , lights this was its main power, i switched it to proper ignition wire, acheavment gained the Stereo powers up faster, iv had this ute for 18mths and i think this falt has always been, as you can only see it at night its had a battery drain issue is why i just picked up on it , i have another look and let yous know cheers.

Howdy... So you're not a photographer eh or am I doing something wrong, I can't see anything in that picture..

Do a "parasitic draw" test on the fuse board... And try again with the photography;)
I did the parasitic draw came up with a blank, the picture is taken at night is good mate you can see the two faided orange panel lights glowing shaped like a pair o sun glasses lol. If i pull the earth lead off battery these light dissapear chears.

I did the parasitic draw came up with a blank, the picture is taken at night is good mate you can see the two faided orange panel lights glowing shaped like a pair o sun glasses lol. If i pull the earth lead off battery these light dissapear chears.
What's the alternator producing? Its not an alternator on the way out is it? It hasn't had a new alternator fitted before you got it?
Do those dash lights get brighter or dim when the motor changes rpm's?

And you're pulling the earth whilst the motor is running???

Grab the manual and find out what other electricals use that circuit? LOL have you used the manual yet,,, oh mannnnn, hasn't your Sunday just darker ;) good luck Chuck..

What's the alternator producing? Its not an alternator on the way out is it? It hasn't had a new alternator fitted before you got it?
Do those dash lights get brighter or dim when the motor changes rpm's?

And you're pulling the earth whilst the motor is running???

Grab the manual and find out what other electricals use that circuit? LOL have you used the manual yet,,, oh mannnnn, hasn't your Sunday just darker ;) good luck Chuck..

Last edited:
I dont pull leads with engine running,Alternator is fine, when its running the dash lights are on so you carnt see any fades,
Brand new Century 780cca 100AH overlander battery, will drop some charge over a few days sitting.

DOES FADED LIGHT SUGEST THAT YOU HAVE A BAD EARTH SOMEWEAR IN CIRCUITE CAUSING VOLTAGE DROP IF YOU MEASURE THE VOLTAGE AT THOSE LIGHTS YOU CAN DETERMINE IF YOU HAVE A BAD EARTH

TO EXPLAIN THE VOLATAGE DROP, WHEN YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE EARTH ON ONE BAD EARTH BOLT THE CURENT WILL GO THROUG THE FIRST GLOBE THEN THROUGH THE SECONG EARTH WIRE TO SECOND GLOBE FIRST GLOBE WOULD BE 12V SECOND GLOBE WOULD DROP TO 6 V ETC ETC DEPENDING HOW MANY EARTH WIRES YOU HAVE IN A SINGLE EARTH BOLTLIGHT

The only thing i can find out of place is the radio speeker , front and rear speekers of the aftermarket sterio are connected to the harness but my extra cab ute dosnt have rear speekers nore Amp. I have also disconnected it at the pin terminals no changes to the light. I have also done this with rear lights and trailer plugs, no change. Wondering if the faulty egr valve thats got blocking plate has any thing to do with this problem, i have heard sometimes red arc second battery regulators go faulty but it seams to be charging ok,the mistery goes on.

I think Tony is the electrical man you need..But as /\ wrote, earth's.. And the navaras have their good share of them!

Have you looked over the wiring diagrams in the manual, find what "earth/S" run on that circuit? ?

I think Tony is the electrical man you need..But as /\ wrote, earth's.. And the navaras have their good share of them!

Have you looked over the wiring diagrams in the manual, find what "earth/S" run on that circuit? ?

I dont have a diagram bro, have to keep looking , i can tell yous if i unplug the earth lead and tap it on the battery pole the BCM makes a on off clicking sound like a Relay dose.and the light goes on and off.

Ok, the manual should be on here some where or someone will have it for you too download. .
Or buy the disc of flea Bay. ..

Don't know if this has been mentioned, my dash completely weirded out, drained the battery to zero over a few days, lights doing all sorts of funky stuff... the culprit was a wire (it's a mystery which one was it, as there are a few clusters there) behind the passenger side kick panel. The small panel on the side of the footwell. A jiggle of the wires is all it took, and has been fine for a few years now... I had a new dash on order thinking that was it, but never needed it after the quick jiggle... worth a try, twas probably an earth connection down there...

Don't know if this has been mentioned, my dash completely weirded out, drained the battery to zero over a few days, lights doing all sorts of funky stuff... the culprit was a wire (it's a mystery which one was it, as there are a few clusters there) behind the passenger side kick panel. The small panel on the side of the footwell. A jiggle of the wires is all it took, and has been fine for a few years now... I had a new dash on order thinking that was it, but never needed it after the quick jiggle... worth a try, twas probably an earth connection down there...
Yes mate, I've been attact by Aliens too :)
And that stinking dash earth was the issue, a Ford, but still the left kick panel earth..
Yup, I'd be definetly trying that out...

Hang on, and you never found the culprit wire lol and she's still a goer ...classic ute mechanics.
Why can't i be so lucky.....

Thanks everyone, problem solved, it was Red Arc second battery regulator, the little red light Circuit box on the side was just touching the metal Battery Box, soon as i moved it these lights wend out. Very strange indead.had many sleepless Knights over such a simple thing.

Ok thanks for all your help ppl, after a long fault Diagnoses process it all came down to a faulty Redarc Battery monitor relay, changed it out all good now.Relief at last.

Latest posts

Back