D40 with lots of smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway

Reaction score
Hi to all ,
Long time reader 1st time poster
I looking if any one could point me in right direction with my problem .
My D40 YD25 Spanish 2008 it has very unusual problem.
Car runs perfect, no loss of power, no oil use, no oil level increase, no loss of coolant, as soon as get warm up to working temperature it will start to smoke from the exhaust, looks like unburnt fuel, it will do this every 5 minutes for 30 seconds and stops. And this will do every second day or sometimes it will go for 2 or 3 days with out issues.
It has DPF and light on dash is on only with ignition on as soon the car starts light is off. And when is smoking or burning, there is no DPF light on, no power lost or rough idling .
I try to force burn DPF with scan tool but it say no commutation,
I will attach short video .

thank you in advance

Last edited:
I can only hear audio, there's no video for me, but ... it might just be trying to do a regen which it does regularly under normal driving, but if your DPF sensors are not working properly, it won't do it right and you'll get lots of whitish-grey smoke. I know, this is what happened to me.

It started because a kind and generous mechanic decided to hollow out my CAT thinking it was the cause of my turbocharger issues (the turbo issues were caused by towing, nothing more). The DPF got too much unburnt crap on it, the sensors died and in the process of trying to fix it, they hollowed out my DPF and reset the light, handing me the car back a couple of hours before we were due to leave Newcastle for Rockhampton with a trailer full of furniture.

The trip to get the trailer and pick up the furniture was event-less so we thought we'd be fine and started off. Just as we were being pulled over in Gloucester for a random breast test the ECU decided it was time to chuck a wobbly again ... the trip became quite an ordeal. If it started smoking, I could turn the car off, turn it back on and the smoke would stay away for 10-15 minutes ...

We then purchased DPF sensors from auggie (send a private message to him on this forum) and installed them. Minutes later the problem went away and hasn't been back since. Sensors were about $600 or so, it's been a while and his price may have changed so write to him and ask. Best $ I've spent so far!

I did pull out pressure sensors front and back they looked good and I did check resistance on boat and I believe they are okey . It was shoving something like 2456 ,1 back and front was 1985.4 Ohm
Or they are shot ?
No fault codes at all .
I did drive so many times on freeway to Gold Cost and back from Brisbane But soon as I pull up in 1 minute start doing smoke for 30 second and stops and it will do again in few minutes And it will do that all day and then I live car for day and sometimes it will go all day with out of smoke

I've no idea of the correct values for the resistance on those sensors (which should be temperature sensors). Pressure is measured by a pair of thin (about 6mm) steel pipes that head up into the engine bay to a black widget on the vehicle's left hand side inner guard near the ABS unit (right hand drive vehicles). This measures the pressure differential between front and rear of the DPF.

I'd suggest that if it went fine all day, and the day was punctuated by stops (engine off) every 10-15 minutes or so, then it's absolutely a regen issue, and @auggie's sensors will absolutely fix the problem. But you ought to have a word with him first, tell him what you're experiencing. Those sensors you measured the resistance of are the sensors he'll supply.

I'm happy to report fix .
I used more advanced scan tool and find out that my injectors need to be reregisted .

performed registration and no smoke , noting at all ,

don't know the much of history of the car. got it car few weeks ago . Could have some problems anything could lead to it . even faulty battery could cost it . but let see how go .

Usually injector registration is stored in the ECU, because it's the ECU that needs to know about the injector for pulse timing purposes. I could understand this being an issue if the ECU was changed, or the injectors were changed, but the ECU - even under a full reset - doesn't normally lose the injector registrations.

Usually injector registration is stored in the ECU, because it's the ECU that needs to know about the injector for pulse timing purposes. I could understand this being an issue if the ECU was changed, or the injectors were changed, but the ECU - even under a full reset - doesn't normally lose the injector registrations.
Correct ,
they are registed but numbers did not look right

have look photo

Attachments

• tempImageHaLfTg.png
    tempImageHaLfTg.png
    14 MB · Views: 24
The injectors can lose their codes. Had it happen in my 08 D40. Mechanic had to reprogram the injectors as they had dropped all the codes. Once reprogramed with the codes off the injectors all is fine. I do however now have some on and off injector rattle and smoke. The smoke usually only happens real early morning and is quite random. I know also get some smoke when into it which it never did before it dropped its codes. car still runs a treat but will look into getting injectors replaced at some stage later in year as its no rush to do.

Latest posts

Back