D40 turbo blown

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom1

Reaction score
The old man had a d40 Nissan, the other day towing his van up a hill, engine made a Big Bang, heaps of white smoke out the back , it looks like the turbo has blown, bit of oil around turbo, do we attempt to pull out and get an exchange turbo or get someone to repair fully. He lives in Wollongong nsw , any thoughts appreciated . Tom

It's easy enough (and free) to check the turbo. I'm assuming the car is safely back at home ...

Pop the hose off the intake of the turbocharger. Try to give the impeller a turn - if the engine's cold it should be a little stiff, might feel like a motorcycle throttle. It should turn smoothly, if it looks off-centre or doesn't turn smooth the turbo is gone.

Now take a hose off the baffles (the little metal widget high up on the side of the motor that has a large black hose attached. Undo that end of the hose and wipe a finger inside it. It should come away oily. Grab a bright light and look at the oil - if there are flecks of metal in it, the turbo is gone.

Turbo replacements are not only easy to get but easy to install too. All you need to do is have a look at the exhaust manifold and see how many bolts hold the turbo on (it will be either 3 or 4). If your turbo is gone, you can:

* Sell your first-born and buy a new replacement from Nissan
* Purchase the same thing from Brisbane for around $1500
* Buy an eBay cheapy Chinese knock-off for around $400

I do not recommend - if the turbo has destroyed its shaft - that you try a rebuild. They're inexpensive enough to put a new one on and save the worry.

As for which one - I've done the 2nd and 3rd myself. Happy with both.

Latest posts

Back