D40 thinks its in reverse so wont start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figman21

Reaction score
Hi All
New member here in the uk

I've got A 2012 d40 automatic with a problem

I reversed up onto my drive one evening, came out the following morning and it wouldn't start, no crank just dash lights.

if i leave the ignition on the reverse camera kicks in and reverse lights come on Which is why I think it thinks its in reverse
any ideas what's causing this?

I look forward to any pearls of wisdom you may have

Questions:

1) Does it still do it if you move the shifter to N ?

2) Do you have a trailer plug, does this plug have reverse wired up and is the wiring intact or is there possibly damage in there?

3) If you disconnect the camera, do the reversing lights turn off?

4) What happens if you add a wire from the stereo chassis to one of the dashboard mounting bolts?

The automatic box is usually pretty good at gear positions and needs to know (and report these to the ECM) for its own management, so I'm thinking external factors first (besides, checking the other stuff is not only good, it's a fair bit cheaper than a new auto box).

Questions:

1) Does it still do it if you move the shifter to N ?

2) Do you have a trailer plug, does this plug have reverse wired up and is the wiring intact or is there possibly damage in there?

4) What happens if you add a wire from the stereo chassis to one of the dashboard mounting bolts?

The automatic box is usually pretty good at gear positions and needs to know (and report these to the ECM) for its own management, so I'm thinking external factors first (besides, checking the other stuff is not only good, it's a fair bit cheaper than a new auto box).

Could not also be the selector switch on the shifter? that would usually be my first place to check (bad Holden memories of changing them every 2 years).

This part here - GENUINE Nissan Navara D40 V9X VQ40DE YD25DDTI Automatic Transmission Park Switch - #navlife - The Home of Nissan Navara

Could not also be the selector switch on the shifter? that would usually be my first place to check (bad Holden memories of changing them every 2 years).

This part here - GENUINE Nissan Navara D40 V9X VQ40DE YD25DDTI Automatic Transmission Park Switch - #navlife - The Home of Nissan Navara

Entirely possible, although in the D40 I thought the display (and the data sent to the ECU) came from the sensor in the gearbox.

The fact that his reversing lights are coming on would indicate that either the gearbox is triggering the reverse circuit, or something else is interfering with the electrical process, and we have seen numerous times that small electronic glitches can do unpredictable things. In fact, points 2, 3 and 4 are all associated with electrical gremlins we've seen before.

We might end up at the switch, for sure, but I'd rather get them to check for ants nesting (and shorting) the trailer plug before telling them to buy parts for their gearbox.

hi

the truck is stuck in a gear, i just assumed reverse as it was reversed when parked and that the reverse light/camera come on when ignition turned on, it then goes off after a few seconds.

it does this in whatever position i put the selector to answer point 1

if i bridge the starter i can get it to turn over, found this out thinking it was the imobaliser/ignition switch

my initial thought was its the transmition position sensor if there is one as there seem to be lots on the gearbox

Questions:

1) Does it still do it if you move the shifter to

The automatic box is usually pretty good at gear positions and needs to know (and report these to the ECM) for its own management, so I'm thinking external factors first (besides, checking the other stuff is not only good, it's

a fair bit cheaper than a new auto box).

hi

the truck is stuck in a gear, i just assumed reverse as it was reversed when parked and that the reverse light/camera come on when ignition turned on, it then goes off after a few seconds.

it does this in whatever position i put the selector to answer point 1

if i bridge the starter i can get it to turn over, found this out thinking it was the imobaliser/ignition switch

my initial thought was its the transmition position sensor if there is one as there seem to be lots on the gearbox
Right then, I've got to the bottom of it, the wiring loom on the drivers side of the engine compartment coming from the fuse box, where it had been cable tied from factory to the side of the engine bay, had gradually overtime rubbed through the plastic casing and severed a couple of wires directly linked to the autobox thus rendering it dead as a dodo, replaced a big chunk of that part of the loom, cleared a couple of codes and the esp light and it works like a dream again, yippeeee

Latest posts

Back