D40 Tekna starter probs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaiP

Reaction score
Hi guys.
My 2014 D40 Tekna has developed a starter problem so booked it in for examination at my local dealership. Diagnostics came up with slight concerns on the EGR Valve. EGR Valve changed prob still exists. Mech managed to start veh however, when veh left overnight it refused to start again. Fuel filter and pipework checked new prime pump fitted problem still exists. Stumped! any helpful ideas greatly appreciated.

diesel delivery problems ?? any air bubbles when you loosen fuel lines on outlet side of filter... slightly loosen fuel lines at injectors see if any air bubbles .
fuel can be turned off by the computer if their is a fault

I'd start with a simple test - in the morning, squeeze the primer bulb not just until it's firm, but keep going a few more times.

After 4-5 squeezes it should become quite firm, indicating that the system is full of diesel. If this is the case, 3-4 more squeezes should result in nothing happening and it's the sign of a well-assembled and intact system.

However, if it takes more squeezes, keep on pumping after the thing goes firm and look for leaks as the system gets some pressure in it. It's common for the water sensor seal in the fuel filter to be not 100% located correctly, and normally it's not a huge deal because there's not a lot of pressure there, but even a tiny leak can allow air back in causing the car to be hard to start. This overpriming of the system will allow you to find this sort of leak so you can deal with it, and it costs nothing more than a few ml of diesel and your time. Don't do it on the lawn, diesel kills grass.

Of course, it might be something else, but try this first and see how it goes.

I'd start with a simple test - in the morning, squeeze the primer bulb not just until it's firm, but keep going a few more times.

After 4-5 squeezes it should become quite firm, indicating that the system is full of diesel. If this is the case, 3-4 more squeezes should result in nothing happening and it's the sign of a well-assembled and intact system.

However, if it takes more squeezes, keep on pumping after the thing goes firm and look for leaks as the system gets some pressure in it. It's common for the water sensor seal in the fuel filter to be not 100% located correctly, and normally it's not a huge deal because there's not a lot of pressure there, but even a tiny leak can allow air back in causing the car to be hard to start. This overpriming of the system will allow you to find this sort of leak so you can deal with it, and it costs nothing more than a few ml of diesel and your time. Don't do it on the lawn, diesel kills grass.

Many tks I have checked fuel lines that are visible after priming attempt starting veh no joy after short period prime pump becomes soft. This leads me to thinking air in system. Removed inlet fuel line placed open end into plastic container pumped primer to flush fuel into bottle plus releasing air trapped in the fuel line. Still no joy. Will info my mech to see if info on this site helps him diagnose prob. Cheers for support.

The reason I suggested this is because my mechanic missed that the water sensor has to be clicked into place on the bottom of the fuel filter, it wasn't, and I was having starting issues in the morning. I found the issue by overpriming it and seeing that the leak came from the fuel filter, then realised that the electrical connector of the water sensor didn't line up with the knurled knob on the case above (which it should). A quick turn of the sensor to line it up (and feel it click into place) resolved the problem.

Good luck!

Cheers Tony, veh in with mech at mo will info him with your comments. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back