D40 STX V6 Diesel Towing Upgrades

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STX550 belongs to a friend, after the six wheeler mod just back from the paint shop. Just the tray and canopy to go.

Attachments

• 6A55126B-859F-4A3B-B1AF-016FB55F3E93.jpeg
    6A55126B-859F-4A3B-B1AF-016FB55F3E93.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 35
I have an STX550 D40. The gvm is 3010Kg.
I have fitted a 2” ARB lift.
Also the Superior Engineering chassis strengthening plates have been fitted.
ARB bullbar, under-vehicle plating.
Hook up the camper, fill up with fuel and I can carry nothing inside the vehicle, gvm nearly all used up - useless.

I live in Queensland. Contacted an auto engineer (one with a degree that looks at loads and stresses). He did braking tests, ultrasound thickness of the axle housing, he looked at what load the bearing will take etc. then a heap of simulation using a CAD package. Also the springs and the strengthening plates etc.

He increased the gvm by 10% (305kg). This is fantastic as the vehicle goes from being a dumper to something really worthwhile. Suddenly I can fit the wife in as well, and the normal things. Still have to be a bit careful but it is now manageable. ARB who did the upgrade won’t upgrade the gvm. A Pedders upgrade for $4,500 was the other option.

Nothing additionally had to be done to the vehicle apart from his calculations and a replate.

There are only a couple of guys in QLD who do this work to this level. They are hard to find because every mechanic in the phone book calls himself an auto engineer. This guy is based in the Townsville but travels down as far as the Sunshine Coast regularly. If you want to keep the Main Roads scalies happy then contact Lindsay Stone Automotive Consulting for advice 0438 748 807. (Hopefully allowed by Admins.)

Knowing what I now know, it is a mistake to upgrade the suspension without receiving a significant gvm upgrade. If that cannot be offered then go somewhere else for the suspension upgrade no matter how good their springs and shockies are reputed to be. The lower levels of Maslow’s triangle need to be resolved first.

Back