D40 stuck in low range

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will the Kiwi

Reaction score
I had some fun with my 07 D40, it has been parked for about 4 months, my drive is very steep so it was left in low range first gear with hand brake on for peace of mind.

Finally had some time to start getting it ready for another Fraiser island trip coming up in march.

I found the vehicle was stuck in low range, it wouldn't go to H4 and then to H2.
The computer registered a fault and stopped the drive motor from spinning the shaft to move the dog gear back into place for H4.

I did the usual rocking and reversing stuff, but the computer just went to fault.

Assuming it wasn't an electrical fault (mechanical fitter) I removed the cover plate (black plastic) on the back of the transfer box, be careful of the primary transfer reduction gear (Black) and its shaft (which has a tendency to fall out) and the small thrust washer on the second reduction gear (white) as it will be hard to find on a wksp floor let alone in the bush.

Remove the gears to expose the cast steel driven gear. it has an arrow on it indicating the position of engagement. Pointing down (6 oclock) is L4, turning it clockwise will take up on the overrun spring, turning it anti-clockwise to vertical (12 oclock) is H4 and moving it to 9 o-clock is H2, it took a small amount of force and a grinder key to get it to move to H4. It then freely moved to H2.

I then reassembled and tried it out, Success..

I hope this is helpful to some one.

Now, where do I get a Fan speed resistor pack?, that doesn't cost $376.00 from Nissan
Any reputable Auto dismantlers around, Im hesitant to buy off Ebay for second hand stuff that doesn't have a warranty to say that it will work when I plug it in the first time.

I've been meaning to create a topic on this too.

I had the same issue after flooding the car and then having a flat battery. After a lot of research I found a thread the described what you have said above. Essentially when the battery goes flat the selection computer 'forgets' its in 4LO so when it has power again it assumes its in the default selection of 2WD.

My fix seemed a bit simpler though:

> Undo 2 bolts on the black selection box on the back of the xfer case.

> Slide the box off, being careful to make sure the o ring doesn't fall on the ground. I didn't lose any fluid, however I suspect my fluid is a bit low.

> Looking at the back of the xfer case and you will see the shaft with a slot in it.

> Use something (I used a large screwdriver) to shift it anti clockwise.
Note - It should move relatively freely when you twist it and make a loud click as it goes through each mode. The first time I tried to do this I couldn't get it to move. I started the car, rolled it back and forward and made sure it was in neutral and it worked the second time. Not sure what the exact cause was (I may have had it in gear the first time??)

> Once the xfer was back in 2WD position I had to also adjust the selector on the motor to ensure it lined up - with the car off you can turn it, just make sure you do it in the correct direction.

> Bolt the selector contraption back on and start the car (make sure the cabin drive selector is in 2WD) and it should show 2WD on the gauge cluster.

Needless to say I was pretty excited.

Hopefully that provides a bit more info for anyone stuck too :)

Last edited:
Hey mate, I've seen new resistors on fleabay for around the $250 mark, but I know they are costly unfortunately... :(

Perhaps Nizzbits can assist?

HI Guys,

Changed to Low today and now wont recover back to 2WD .. Nothing seems to work.. Havent tried the above yet.. Hoping a ECU reset or something simple.. Any Suggestions??

Guys, All sorted... Dreaded Neutral is the go... Feel a bit Stupid.. But great to have a plethora of knowledge at my finger tips..

Cheers..

Guys, All sorted... Dreaded Neutral is the go... Feel a bit Stupid.. But great to have a plethora of knowledge at my finger tips..

Cheers..

I wouldn't worry about that. At least you weren't trying to figure out how to get INTO 4LO while sitting in the middle of a stream and using your phone to get the answer from the forum.

Wait, what? The tide is coming in NOW??? :rofl2:

Hey im trying to disengage my 4low setting, could guys help me out.
The gear only seems to move slightly to the left, doesnt go down 6 o clock or 9 oclock, even with some force?

Attachments

• 4AB11C1C-A784-4621-B482-F0EE05C49BF7.jpeg
    4AB11C1C-A784-4621-B482-F0EE05C49BF7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back