D40 Steering wheel controls

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWright

Reaction score
Hi.
I’ve just recently got a D40 2009, it’s got a few gremlins in the electrical system. We’ve had the centre console etc out and metered everything. Everything has power and active ground, fuses are all ok, but nothing works. Heater controls all light up but nothing heats up or blows, heated seats work thankfully. Multichanger ticks over but nothing on the media centre works. Took the airbag out of the steering wheel because none of the controls worked on that and there is no life at all behind it. No power and no active earth. Indicators lights etc all work, but no horn, cruise control or radio controls. We’ve hit a road block and can’t figure the next step, any ideas would be greatly appropriated. Thanks.

Steering wheel buttons and horn not working are a sign of a busted clock spring. Been there. Done that, twice. Second time the airbag light came on too.

Heater fan not blowing could be a fan load resistor failed, or the blower fan itself. Again, done both.

The fan apparently doesn’t have a great design and is prone to getting moisture in and rusting it enough to not move. Mine let out the magic smoke into the cab which was a little concerning. When I pulled it out I could barely spin it. In frying, it also blew the fuse under the bonnet which took a little bit of head scratching for me to find when the new wrecker fan wouldn’t work.

Fan load resistor will often go in a way that stops low speed settings first. The fan load resistor is a 5min check. Two screws, pull it out and inspect. If it looks corroded, get a new one. Mine stopped working on setting 1, then 2 and finally 3 before I fixed it. It went for ages not working on 1 but I didn’t realise, just thought the setting was too slow to do anything.

Probably not worth trying to get the CD changer to go, just ditch it and pop a touchscreen unit in.

Last edited:
I replaced the clock spring, that’s got the cruise control and horn working.

Replaced the screen and controls on the radio, took the earth off by the battery and cleaned it up, copper greased and back on. Damn thing still won’t work I think it’s a switch to a touch screen as you suggest.

Got a new resistor ordered for the heater, they seem to be out of stock everywhere so it’s a 4 week wait for that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Richard

Latest posts

Back