D40 Squeak / Squeal Noise help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BundyGamer21

Reaction score
My wife and I purchased a second hand 2011 D40 2.5L Diesel STX Navara on the 1st of June. While we are happy with it we have taken if back to the dealership we got it from 3 times since we got it for the same noise, and is going back tomorrow. It seems to be an intermittent squeaking / squealing noise heard inside the cab. Noise can be heard inside the cab when stationary, idling and travelling at speeds under 80km/h but seems to disappear once over 80km/h but returns as soon as you drop back below it. First they adjusted and lubricated the fan belt, but the noise was back within 5 minutes of leaving the service centre. Next they claimed it to be a HVAC motor, and replaced it on the 3rd visit for the noise to return a day later. When the engine is switched off, the noise continues for a second or 2 as if a belt or fan is stopping. Any ideas what it may be if the dealership can't work out what it may be?

i have np300 that sqeals for up to 45 seconds when i turn it off, i thought its some sort of electric pump noise which i presume i dont hear when the engine is on.
If noise is intermittent & only lasts for a couple of seconds when tuned off , it sounds like an idler bearings on your fan belt. I had this problem on A COUPLE of my cars. i was able to reach in AND PUT MY FINGER ON THE RETAINER BOLT AND FEEL THE ROUGHNESS OF THE BEARING . SOME DO WITH LISTENNING TUBE(RUBBER HOSE) OR A SCREW DRIVER.

i have np300 that sqeals for up to 45 seconds when i turn it off, i thought its some sort of electric pump noise which i presume i dont hear when the engine is on.
If noise is intermittent & only lasts for a couple of seconds when tuned off , it sounds like an idler bearings on your fan belt. I had this problem on A COUPLE of my cars. i was able to reach in AND PUT MY FINGER ON THE RETAINER BOLT AND FEEL THE ROUGHNESS OF THE BEARING . SOME DO WITH LISTENNING TUBE(RUBBER HOSE) OR A SCREW DRIVER.

Its more intermittent as it can start at any times - doesn't matter if I just turned it on or been driving for an hour. The only thing I have found that causes it to stop is 80km/h or higher (Normally in 5th & 6th gear) but as soon as I slow down for urban driving or road works the noise is straight back. The dealership I bought it through is going to look at all the belts, fans and pulleys and now look at clutch & transmission as well. The thing that has everyone stumped is it is only really audible inside the cab.

another similar problem i had was may alternator had a clutch pulley . symptoms were intermittent noise could last a long time and would last a few seconds after ignition off,, if your car has one of these pulleys, to test loosen belt and see if pulley free spins without turning the guts of the alternator.. search on net .you may have to spin it in one direction only to test

second the alternator clutch pulley, have changed 2 so far. it's the only thing i can think of, that runs on once the engine has stopped!

^ I agree with the guys re pulleys - if it stopps pretty quickly after shutdown, my bet is on the radiator fan fluid drive (viscous hub, fan clutch, whatever name they want to call it).

It can be refilled with oil (Toyota sell it for $18/bottle, just open the fan up and pour the whole bottle in and put the fan back together). Nissan won't sell you the oil. Brett's Truck Spares on the NSW Central Coast will sell you a whole aftermarket unit that is excellent and far less expensive than Nissan.

The thing that gets me though is the "it can only be heard inside". Does this mean that while the noise is happening, someone sitting inside can hear it, but someone standing outside cannot? That would indicate that it's a problem inside the cabin - turn off the air conditioning fan, maybe there's a mouse caught in it?

Put a small piece of rag in the bonnet latch, i found that was the problem in my 2007 Narvara and also my 2013 R51 and that fixed it and my R51 has it still today and is replaced with a new piece some times.

Put a small piece of soft rag in the bonnet latch that solved my squeak in my 2007 Narvara until 2013 when i replaced it with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder R51 and it had the same squeak and has a rag in the bonnet latch
Squeak sorted

Back