D40 Navara Lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssenior

Reaction score
Hey Guys
Nothing goes right nowadays.
Just had Lift kit installed ,slide rails , and bash plates for future trip at
easter .
Anyway the lift was Bilstein Shocks Ridepro Springs and such .It gave me 65
Mm on Back and 15-20 in front and they tell me cant get anymore as i have a 2007 model spanish built vehicle and no ajustment left on steering to give more height .
What to do they ask me ,I dont no there the experts and they werent the cheapest .I have asked for a reference height to gauge what i have and they
seam not to no about one or where to obtain one??.

Looking for suggestions guys .Puzzled

I heard there is a max of 40mm on the front but I swear there are several threads on this topic somewhere.

I am booked in for a OME lift of 30 on the font and 40 on the back in a week. They said that is the max they can do without altering CV's and causing heaps of trouble

I have an 06' RX dual cab and i got 30mm to the front and 65mm in the rear using OME leaf springs in the rear, Tough Dog coils in the front and Tough Dog 9 way adjustable shocks front and rear.

More Clearance for a D40

Lift kits in the main are a waste of time as the only way to get an increase in underbody clearance is via tyre diameter... but go too far with tyre height and you run into many problems with legality, over-gearing/too tall a gear and loss of acceleration, reduced braking performance because of increased rolling mass, potential for premature driveline failure and greater chance of rollover.
An ARB OME suspension kit will provide ample extra spring height and coupled with a set of Bridgestone D694 Desert Duelers in an LT265/75R16 will give most people the right results in terms of clearance, increased carrying capacity and excellent tyre durability and seriously enhanced steering and grip.
PS I'm not an accessory retailer so I'm not making a dime off this reply, but after 20 years as a 4WD trainer I know this works and has been the formula for every 4WD I've owned!

My lift resulted in the front going up 80mm and the rear 110mm. There was a HUGE increase in UNDERBODY CLEARANCE - how could there not be.

The clearance from ground to diff is obviously unchanged - only tyre size will change this measurement.

I dare say what they were talking about when they said you had no more adjustment for lift was actually they had no way to adjust your camber. Being a 07 Spanish built truck it more than likely has no camber adjustment.
You have a few choices here
-Fulcrum sells offset lower control arm bush's so you can lift higher within reason and still have decent camber
-There are taller lower ball joints that will help out with camber issues
-Snake racing was making a weld in camber pin kit
-Make your own camber pin kit
-PRG UCA

My 2007 4x2 is currently sitting at full height with no bars etc

Front 920mm from guard to ground
Rear 960mm from guard to round

before the lift the heights were ( with bullbar and rear bars etc )

Front 865mm from guard to ground
Rear 900mm from guard to ground

All measurements were done with 265/75/R16 BF Goodrich AT's
Current setup is running very close to 0 degrees camber with Radflo coilovers and PRG UCA
NavaraLiftstage27.jpg

My '07 Spanish built D40 got 45mm in the front and is still within limits as far as camber and castor is concerned. There hasn't been any abnormal tyre wear either.
Who did you take yours to to lift?
When I was looking around to do mine Pedders straight out told me that I would only get 20mm so I didn't use them (they were too expensive anyway).

Bought the parts from PRG Products in the US and installed them myself .
the biggest issue was what they class as within limits. I cant remember the exact figures but I had bad positive camber to start with at stock height and that caused really bad under steer.
I use ( abuse) my truck on a race track chasing cars so not many would notice the under steer as much as I did.
I now have bugger all issues with under steer and the truck turns in really well at speed. I did however install 500lb instead of the stock 550lb springs so the truck dives under heavy breaking. this gives me neg camber and so the truck will turn in heaps better.

I used a Dobinsons lift kit I do have a steel bar and winch and a steel tray but from the stock height I got close to 100mm lift on all corners.

I have the extra camber and caster adjustments and do have troubles with camber its only about 1 deg positive and ... I will also have to install a longer upper A arm like Aussir Frontier has...

http://www.navara.asia/d40-suspension-steering/7456-suspension-info.html

Look here for stock heights with 16" rims. They are not a great car to lift and when people claim they got more than 30-40mm lift it is generally because they are measuring against sagged suspension to start with.

I have installed my own camber kit in the front of mine and it has helped a fair bit but any higher in lift and you run into issues with the upper control arm hitting the top coil hat all the time. Aftermarket upper control arms may help a bit here but cost a fair bit too.
I really don't think cv's are an issue for the most part you just can't get that much lift out of em.

Thanks to all who answered i think iam getting the idea now that is going to be tough getting height on this vehicle.

i found out from 4.8 HU that a standard height is 740 mm from base of wheel rim to guard. the dealer used 720 and says i got 35mm hence 755 on r/h side.Then i checked other side and it was 745mm and these havnt settled in yet so i expecting a lift of 15-20 mm when that happens ,all gets too hard again. thase lift kits are an illusion and you end up with upgrade suspension and thats all.
Cheers for the time and interest guys.

Thanks to all who answered i think iam getting the idea now that is going to be tough getting height on this vehicle.

i found out from 4.8 HU that a standard height is 740 mm from base of wheel rim to guard. the dealer used 720 and says i got 35mm hence 755 on r/h side.Then i checked other side and it was 745mm and these havnt settled in yet so i expecting a lift of 15-20 mm when that happens ,all gets too hard again. thase lift kits are an illusion and you end up with upgrade suspension and thats all.
Cheers for the time and interest guys.

As Aussie Frontier said, it sounds like your truck doesn't have any camber adjustment, this is your vehicles limiting factor and really any adjustment in height will cause issues with the steering geometry.

For the guy's that do have camber adjustment, the limiting factor is the upper control arm hitting the coil spring mount, I think that occurs around +75mm, and then any higher the CV angle becomes a concern.

OK I will say it again in this thread just so people don't get misled. There is no way with standard upper control arms that you can get any more than approx 30mm of lift over STANDARD height suspension while still retaining some form of down travel. You may get more over sagged height suspension but that is not a realistic figure.

As I mentioned in the other thread I linked to I have approx 30mm of lift in my car now over a std height and only have about 50mm of down travel before upper control arm and coil hat contact.
50mm down travel is marginal at best so go any higher and you will loose even more. Aftermarket upper control arms may help a little here but I am not sure by how much.

I have what I consider to be about the biggest lift I can safely put into the front of my car and when I first did it it was definitely lacking in camber adjustment (STX with no factory camber adjustment). Understeered going hard into corners etc. I then made up my own camber kit for the front of the lower arm using factory nissan bolts and wheel alignment is much better. (I will try and remember to get pics for everyone soon)

BTW the best way to measure height when comparing vehicles is from the bottom of rim to guard when vehicles are fitted with same size rim or from centre of hub to guard. From ground measurements are no good for comparison as you could have different size tyres or rims or even different pressures in the tyres.

Don't be put off lifting them though the benifits are there. You just can't get em real high but that is part of why they are so nice to drive on the road. And as any women will tell ya, every inch counts when ya don't have much to play with!!! lol

Cheers
Brian

Last edited:
On a Thai build KC I got 65mm over standard, I still had approx 6mm of clearance to the coil bucket. The suspension was fitted on the weekend of delivery with no accessories so I know the figures are correct. Nissan wheel aligned at the 1K service to the factory spec's
I assume there must be a big difference in the control arms to Spain builds

I always measure fron centre of hub to guard.
Then it does not matter what tyre or rim you have.
The last D40 i did was 570mm [ thai model]
Cheers

http://www.navara.asia/d40-suspension-steering/7456-suspension-info.html

Look here for stock heights with 16" rims. They are not a great car to lift and when people claim they got more than 30-40mm lift it is generally because they are measuring against sagged suspension to start with.

I have installed my own camber kit in the front of mine and it has helped a fair bit but any higher in lift and you run into issues with the upper control arm hitting the top coil hat all the time. Aftermarket upper control arms may help a bit here but cost a fair bit too.
I really don't think cv's are an issue for the most part you just can't get that much lift out of em.

Im with you there 4.8 hence why i mentioned the steel extras, my leafs were inverted the day I picked it up and the front arms pointed skywards.
I think my commodore had more ground clearance :sarcastic:

But 100mm is 100mm from guard to hub or groung to guard I no longer ride on bumpstops. but you right in saying you cant lift them up much even a calmini kit front cross member bolts under the standard one lowering your clearance rendering the larger tyres pointless in aining clearance

On a Thai build KC I got 65mm over standard, I still had approx 6mm of clearance to the coil bucket. The suspension was fitted on the weekend of delivery with no accessories so I know the figures are correct. Nissan wheel aligned at the 1K service to the factory spec's
I assume there must be a big difference in the control arms to Spain builds

I assume you mean 6mm of clearance to the coil hat under full droop. Strut length can also play a part here too so you need to really measure how much droop travel you have from ride height.

I think the difference here too might actually be that king cabs are even lower standard than the stx. Have you got a measurement hub to guard so we can compare?

Last edited:
I assume you mean 6mm of clearance to the coil hat under full droop. Strut length can also play a part here too so you need to really measure how much droop travel you have from ride height.

I think the difference here too might actually be that king cabs are even lower standard than the stx. Have you got a measurement hub to guard so we can compare?

Nope she's long gone now, I'll try and find a photo.

Yes, I was talking about the clearance at full droop. ie jacking up one side unit the wheel was off the ground I still had 3-6mm of gap to the coil bucket, (from memory). The springs I used were claimed 50mm lift and they were x-tra heavy duty, 700lbs off the top of my head, without the bullbar and winch the increased height was 65mm.

When I fitted the bullbar,winch & sumpguard etc, I lost a bit of that height so I machined up a strut spacer to bring it back up to the original 65mm. I was still having trouble in the High Country bellying out in the middle on wash aways, so I did some investigating on a 3" kit from PRG.

I was told by Greg that their UCA would not fit a Thai built truck, so there is some differences between the models.

Latest posts

Back