D40 Keyless entry

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnzey

Reaction score
I am looking at putting a Nissan keyless entry modular into my RX Daul cab and was wounding how hard it is to do yourself.
Is it just a plug in and you are away or is it open heart surgery

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Putting Nissan keyless entry in wont be cheap, I was quoted a trade price $400+ for one rear door kit and $500+ for the other rear door kit. I didn't bother asking what was in the kit at those prices because I figured the guy either had no idea what he was talking about or he was trying too sell me the whole bloody door.

The Autobarn cattledog I got in yesterday's paper had a central locking kit (I think it was a full kit and not just the actuators) for $29. All it's a matter of doing is taking the door panel off so you can get to each door lock, mounting the actuator and then running all the wires to a central location possibly under the dash somewhere so the remote can see it when you need it too.

That's over simplifying it but there should be something close handy to mount the actuator too, if not they usually come with rods long enough to mount somewhere.

The simple two wire actuators don't have a polarity, both wires require a 12V feed so one pushes and one pulls. The three wire actuators use the extra lead to pass a signal to a control system that controls things like re-locking the door if not opened in a set time etc, but the control unit governs the ability for extra like that anyway so the cheap ones don't usually have it.

Then the control box will have all the necessary cables and just require the right connects to each one and a mounting spot. It's probably a fiddly job but by no means a hard job.

At those prices you might consider seeing if there's an STX in a nearby wrecker.

Oh here's one...
oops.gif

Only 4 doors left, hurry!

(Stolen from this thread by Krafty)

The RX already has the central locking (mine does anyway) so you just need the actuator to make it keyless entry. I am yet to get around to doing this but surely it isnt that hard.

When you say it has central locking and needs the actuator what does the central locking kit that's fitted have, the control box and the wiring that runs to nothing?

If you buy the actuator off Nissan it's a three wire actuator to all four doors (going by the manual), however you can buy 3 wire actuators from Jaycar which may look slightly different but will operate in exactly the same way, you can also use the two wire actuators.

I used the two wire actuator from Jaycar in the tailgate and hooked it into the existing system and the only slight problem I have had is that because it's a two wire actuator there is no return signal to tell the controller that that tail gate has been opened therefore the locks relock themselves after a minute or so if none of the doors were opened when the tailgate was.

Mounting the after market actuator would be the hardest part about the job if the wiring is already in place because it might not sit in exactly the same place as the factory one, and in doors you obviously have to be weary of the window when it's down. Either way I'd imagine there is plenty of panel to screw it too and the rod that is included in the Jaycar kit is about 200mm long (and easily replaced if need be) so there is plenty of leeway to mount the actuators.

KraftyPg said:
When you say it has central locking and needs the actuator what does the central locking kit that's fitted have, the control box and the wiring that runs to nothing?

If you buy the actuator off Nissan it's a three wire actuator to all four doors (going by the manual), however you can buy 3 wire actuators from Jaycar which may look slightly different but will operate in exactly the same way, you can also use the two wire actuators.

I used the two wire actuator from Jaycar in the tailgate and hooked it into the existing system and the only slight problem I have had is that because it's a two wire actuator there is no return signal to tell the controller that that tail gate has been opened therefore the locks relock themselves after a minute or so if none of the doors were opened when the tailgate was.

Mounting the after market actuator would be the hardest part about the job if the wiring is already in place because it might not sit in exactly the same place as the factory one, and in doors you obviously have to be weary of the window when it's down. Either way I'd imagine there is plenty of panel to screw it too and the rod that is included in the Jaycar kit is about 200mm long (and easily replaced if need be) so there is plenty of leeway to mount the actuators.

Hey there krafty firstly I just noticed predictive txt puts krafty in as "leader" so hopefully I'm talking to the right man.... I just got a quote of $585 to install a new lock system in the rear right door of my 2006 stx (mind you this was after they assured me there was nothing wrong it that they pulled it apart and everything was fine apparently someone doesn't know there lefts from their rights at Von bibra) You say you used a jaycar actuator on your tailgate with the Nissan central locking that would mean it'll work on my left i mean right rear door? Or would it be best buying a whole new aftermarket kit?

Of course I am the leader, just don't make too much of a scene others get jealous :big_smile:

Electrically the Jaycar model does not care how if it's fitted to the left or right hand side of the car it's purely a matter of being able to mount it. I very much doubt that it will mount in the same place that the Nissan one does because the Nissan actuator is a different shape however that's not to say you can't modify the mounting point.

I haven't actually looked inside the door skin but for the price (similar to what they quoted me) I would take the door skin off and check out the mounting possibilities before I considered replacing the whole kit or getting Nissan to do it.

Just bear in mind that the actuator does send a signal back to the BCU to let it know when a door has been opened and in a standard two wire system this isn't possible. Jaycar have the three wire actuator ($30 I think) which they call a master which allows for a return single however I haven't tested it to confirm if it will operate the same way the Nissan one does. Nissan does however use a standard 3 wire system for the central locking so I would assume the generic 3 wire actuator will work.

At worst you just end up with a door which doesn't register with the BCU when it opens and therefore the car will relock if only that door is opened. The rest of the doors will preform normally.

Thought i would post this for anybody elses interest.

I have just purchased a central locking kit on ebay. No actuators just the remote, control box and wiring harness.

Remote Keyless Entry Kit NISSAN Patrol Navara Pulsar (eBay item 150576476265 end time 12-Apr-11 22:48:15 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

I have a locking switch under my climate control buttons which locks all doors. I have tapped into these wires to get the kit to work. Work Brillantly

Pulled PWR from the cigarette lighter
System is a Negative system So follow instructions in the install guide for a negative system and bobs your uncle. Probably about a 40min install.

If you want more details drop me a line:cheers!:

Thought i would post this for anybody elses interest.

I have just purchased a central locking kit on ebay. No actuators just the remote, control box and wiring harness.

Remote Keyless Entry Kit NISSAN Patrol Navara Pulsar (eBay item 150576476265 end time 12-Apr-11 22:48:15 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

I have a locking switch under my climate control buttons which locks all doors. I have tapped into these wires to get the kit to work. Work Brillantly

Pulled PWR from the cigarette lighter
System is a Negative system So follow instructions in the install guide for a negative system and bobs your uncle. Probably about a 40min install.

If you want more details drop me a line:cheers!:

HI
This sound great could you give me more details on your installation.
like which wires you used on the switch and a picture or 2 if posible. I have been wanting to do this for so long but auto electrions keep fobing me off
Thanks

Barnzey

As i said. you need to follow the directions in the instructions for the negative switch setup.

Remove the dash shelf - it just lifts up
Remove the middle dash. - Remove screw under the dash shelf (above the radio) The center dash will just pop off
Look in behind the dash for the locking switch wires. And unclip to gain acess.
The easiest way to test which wire is which is to get a test light and ground it out with the aligator clip. Test each wire in the group with the spike. One will lock and one will unlock. The others in the group for this purpose are not important. In mine the two wires activating the switch were the orange and grey ones.

My ebay kit (as per instructions)
White went to orange (as above)
white/black went to grey (as above)
Yellow, Yellow/Black & Black to Earth
Cut Orange & Orange/Black off
Purple to Tail Lights - I used the light dial knob below the ignition switch
Red to PWR - cig lighter
pink to tailgate or cut off as i did. (you would need an actuator to make it work)

Hope this helps. Ill try and post pics over the w/e.

HI
Thanks for that I shall buy the same keyless entry kit off ebay
Pics would be great
How long did the kit take to arrive? also have you used the flip out key?
Purple to Tail Lights is this to inducate locking ?

Thanks Again

Yep i got the flip key. Took about 7 days to arrive.

Key was wrong. Its a universal Key. But you can get the blank blade out of hong kong for $4.75 that should go into the key. I have ordered one. Should be here in the next week or so. Ill let you know how i get on. My local locksmith said no problems to cut it for $5 per key.

I had a standard key cut and then tooled it to go into the flip key. Not great but does the job until the new one arives

Puple to the tail lights is just to give you a visual the car is locked. Its a bit harder to get the indicaters(blinkers) to flash. - check out some of the other forums on this.

Hi Belly760
Just got my keyless entry kit and locating wires I have found the ones on the switch but I am having trubles finding the park light wire to hook into Could you tell me what colour the wire is. I dont have a knob below the ignition just the headlight hite adjuster and one sm blank plate and one large blank plate
Hope you can help
Bumer about the key

Thanks Barnezy

Hi Guys
Just finished installing keyless entry system all works great and belly760 instructions were spot on. In steed of using park lights i used a relay and taped into my hazard light curcuit and all work great
Thanks Again belly760

Found it eventually. That is the key blade for the keyless entry as described above. Its a key blade that also suits kia rio. The code on it is 15. Put in a ebay serch for 'key blade kia rio'. Check it has code 15 on the blade. Your good to go. All fitted.. The nissan blades as they are sold are coded 06. These dont work. They must be for another nissan, but not the navara.

I know this is an old thread but I've searched the web everywhere trying to find a way to tap into the hazzard lights circuit with no luck. I can trigger the hazzards when I probe the wire from the harness but when I hook up the control box wire for the blinkers to the hazzards wire it seems to blow the fuse, I've tried to use a relay but have had no luck getting it to trigger the hazzards when I use the remote. Does anyone have any info on how to do this correctly? Thanks In advance.

Back