D40 Fuel range while towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djaye

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2008 D40 (2.5l Turbo Diesel) and was wondering what range you can get while towing a 14ft one tonne pop top Caravan. Would I be correct in thinking you could achieve about 450km? I understand that your speed and terrain plays a huge factor, but just a general approximate would be great.

Thanks in advance

What a (awsome) forum, this is the second thread I posted and nobody has bothered to help

What a (awsome) forum, this is the second thread I posted and nobody has bothered to help
Praps you oughta have done a search and found hundreds of posts on fuel consumption under different scenarios.

My D40 2008 towing a jayco poptop with a basic load & 3 peeps aboard, averages 11-12l/100kms on good flat terrain (outback nsw). Drops to 9l/100kms if it gets a bit hilly (regional Vic). Not tried mountain climbing yet.

Hi everyone, I have a 2008 D40 (2.5l Turbo Diesel) and was wondering what range you can get while towing a 14ft one tonne pop top Caravan. Would I be correct in thinking you could achieve about 450km? I understand that your speed and terrain plays a huge factor, but just a general approximate would be great.

Thanks in advance
Hi mate, I tow a 3 tonne caravan and get about 400klms per tank with a 2013 D40 Navara.

I recently drove down from Cairns fully loaded towing a camper trailer and when I say fully loaded I'm talking 3 adults 2 kids (7 & 5) a dog cage taking up 1/3 of tray and a 45kg dog, the other side loaded to roof height with stackable plastic containers 14 loaded with food and clothes a set of roof racks with a 270° fold out bat wing and 2 kids bikes the trailer was fully loaded under neath with camping equipment and more tubs of personal gear the toolbox on the A frame loaded with tools, car stands and trolley jack, then more tubs tied onto top of camper and wrapped in a tarp so nowhere near streamlined lol 100l of water 20l extra diesel and a gas bottle estimated weight inc pulling trailer in excess of 1Tonne and got 17.3l per 100km approx 500km to a tank so economical I think. It's a 2007 auto

We don't tow much, 2.5T of caravan and we like to take it around the block but not much more than that.

Don't drive in Queensland. I dunno what's wrong up there but we've been scared off, the cows up there are true carnivores, I'm staying away from that place. I have no desire to confront one of them at all. Check out the road sign we saw up near Cloncurry:

20200102_143509-1024x576.jpg

So having seen the dangers of having your car eaten (must be really bad if they put up road signs like that) we high-tailed it for NT figuring we'd be safer around crocs than cows.

Fuel consumption pulling our van varies depending on terrain and mood. I've had it as low as 15.5LPHK (no wind, max speed 85km/h, levelish terrain in Central Aus so very little humidity). It's gone as high as 26LPHK (headwind, hilly terrain).

I should also add the old adage "you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar". A little patience goes a long way, and calling this forum shit because you didn't get an instant answer looks really bad (for you).

I tow a Vintage Valiant Viscount [1 ton, 14 ft] with my 2012 D40 manual. I get around 450-475 kms /tank. East coast Freeway and Golden Hwy.
People from all over the world join this forum because it is so good. Where are you from Djaye?

Thanks in advance
We had a 14' Island Star pop top for a while, but towed it with a D22, not a D40; the fuel usage varied, depending on wind, elevation & my mood, but on flat runs on sealed roads like the Stuart Hwy, we got around 600km's to a full tank. We towed it out to Arkaroola from Copley, then down the dirt road to Yunta & the fuel usage actually improved slightly on the unsealed roads. It's a YD25 manual. So I would imagine the D40 manual should get similar figures, if driven with mechanical sympathy. As a side note, we get exactly the same fuel usage towing a camper trailer with the D22, as we did towing the caravan.

Around 20L/100km, towing nothing. But then again, it does the same towing over 3T. I do have a V9X pushing over 400bhp and 800nm of torque...

My 2012 STX 550 towing our Safari 21'6 caravan which weighs 2.88 tonnes over the axles plus drawbar weight of 200kg generally runs at 18l/100km when travelling up and down the east coast. Would be nice to have a bigger fuel tank to increase range between fills.

My 2012 STX 550 towing our Safari 21'6 caravan which weighs 2.88 tonnes over the axles plus drawbar weight of 200kg generally runs at 18l/100km when travelling up and down the east coast. Would be nice to have a bigger fuel tank to increase range between fills.

Have you called ARB and asked about their Longranger tank?

I have one, 150L total fuel capacity now.

The only problem is seeing the $ amount you have to fork out after filling it. Takes a little to get used to.

That will last until you discover a place that she really likes.

I recommend lunch. Aboard the PS Emmylou on the Murray River at Euchuca. Great (excellent) food.

And from your place, a long range tank would be very handy. Hell, I use mine just going from here to Bathurst.

Thanks in advance
Hi Djaye
I travelled from Queanbeyan to north of Brisbane via Newell Hwy and returned via Pacific Hwy in January. Approx Fuel 450 liters for 2700 Kilometers towing small van 1100 kg in D40 Auto. Almost 17 liters per 100 kilometers steady driving I was in no hurry.

I have towed my 1500kg 13 ft jayco pop top a few times from Brisbane up the hill west then back down the hill home. I get 17 to 18 l/100k outbound, and 14 to 15 inbound back home.
2011 d40 Thai dual cab

Latest posts

Back