D40 fuel primer not pumping - what worked for me

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManBeard

Reaction score
Just maybe what worked for me will help somebody else in the future.

Yesterday I installed the fuel pre-filter to my D40. No problems there. However, after finishing the installation, I was unable to get the fuel primed. I double-checked the various connections but they were fine. Being a bit knackered I left it at that for the day. This morning I decided the best thing to do was to remove the primer assembly from the car and check it out on the workbench. I attached about 1m of hose to the intake, stuck the other end into a jerry car of diesel and pumped like buggery. Nothing. Not a single drop of fuel got pumped through.

I went inside for a cup of coffee and told my wife that the primer may be non-functional as a result of the crap that passed through it as a result of my travails mentioned in this post. I also mentioned I had absolutely nothing to lose by trying to flush it out with various products I have at hand. She then reminded me that she has a small steamer, which she used for various cleaning jobs around the house and asked if that might help.

Back outside we plugged the steamer in, filled it with water and switched it on. I grabbed the hose attached to the inlet of the primer and held it tightly over the steamer's nozzle. A few seconds later, what came out was really grotty looking steam, diesel and of course some water from the condensed steam. I dried the primer as best I could with a blast of air, put the hose back into the jerry can and got fuel pumping through on the second push of the button. A good, strong flow too.

Everything was reassembled in the car and it took only a dozen or so pumps to get it primed. That might seem like a lot of pumps but of course, the pre-filter had to be filled before the fuel could reach the main filter.

Hehe, good job,

I haf a similar problem when i put my engine back in, except my bulb was split and this was easy to find cause it also leaked fuel,

10 bucks at repco btw, changed the check valves over to what was on my split bulb and goof as new, the marine one from repco is slightly larger but still fits

I know right, marine boat parts sold at repco a car parts place?!?!?! Whats the world coming to

Latest posts

Back