D40 fuel consumption

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkkat

Reaction score
Hi Gang My recently aquired Dual cab with tray D 40 -2.5 with 255 K on it is returning 11 litres per hundred kilometres Thats 25 MPG in the old scale any opinions on these figures is it good -bad- or average compared to your d40 vehicle regards Terry

The best I've managed with my 2009 auto model is 10.5LPHK and the worst (towing 2.5T up mountains) is 26LPHK.

Your figure isn't too bad, although if it was one of the new bi-turbo models I'd expect slightly lower.

So I have a 2008 D40 Manual and highway trips 9.4l/100, city 10.5/100 and towing a 1.2t camper recently averaged 10.5l/100. I have found that it does make a difference how angry you drive it.

Mine is a 2007 manual STX with 180k on it. Here’s a screen shot of my fuel consumption since owning. The spikes early on are some beach/bush driving, the lowest are highway trips which it doesn’t do a lot of, mostly round town not carrying much.

Recently consumption went up due to a turbo issues with vacuum lines. It took em a while to realise and then sort it out. Consumption should head back down because power is back.

E8784F61-9EF0-44CC-9090-F6933C81C7D8.jpeg

2008 D40 235000km Alloy tray, steel bull bar
@90kmh=9L/100km driving like a granny
@110kmh air con on=11.5L/100km
@100kmh towing 750kgATM=12.5L/100km

Late 2011 Thai King Cab Manual here. Bull bar and lift, with only 80,000K's and I consistently get about10L/100K city and highway. Less if i keep it under 2000RPM. Anything over that it goes up. 11 for about 100 kph average and more over that.

So maybe a little high but don't forget unless your doing high K's per year, fuel is not a big issue when it comes to the overall cost of running a vehicle.

2014 d40 Spain build w steel bar doing an interstate run - looked up this thread as my trip comp figures were increasing on the HWY - turns out I'm doing 11.3 L/100 pump to pump @110kmh on stock road tyres. Hate to see what happens when I put on the A/T tyres and camp trailer...

Weirdly enough the L/100 figures in the torque app are way off - was reading ~8. I don't really have an explanation for that 😕

It always kills me reading other people's economy figures compared to mine.

I have a 2007 R51 Pathfinder VSK auto with roof rack and alloy bar but standard tyres. Engine has done 175k, rest of car 200k.

Right now I get about 13.2L/100km around town and at best 12.8L/100km on the highway. I would like to take 3L/100km off both those figures!

I have:
- installed snorkel
- cleaned MAF
- new filters
- blanked EGR both ends
- installed catch can
- removed and cleaned inlet manifold
- run LiquidMoly Fuel Cleaner though system
- no DPF
- new turbo vac lines throughout
- cleaned turbo vanes
- multiple ECU resets
- drive it like a granny

But still crap fuel economy.

Presently investigating poor boost (as per this thread) as a possible cause. I get fine top end boost (19-20 psi) under heavy throttle but feel my low RPM boost is maybe wanting.

Last edited:
2014 D40 dual cab with big canvas canopy on steel tray, awning, solar on canopy, alloy bul bar, dual batteries….

9.6 around town and 10.1 on highway. I guessing it goes up on highway due the drag of my canopy and it’s roof mods at higher speeds.

I've shaved somewhere around 1.5 to 2 LPHK off my consumption by removing the roof bars and rack. On a recent trip up to Mt Panorama where I normally use about 21LPHK for the climb, this time we think we've used around 18.5LPHK (perhaps 19). And all I've done is take off that rack, everything else - including the load - is the same as other times.

A recent trip down the highway to the big smoke and back in my 2012 d40, Aluminium canopy full of gear and ladders on top to do a love job for a God-son who just bought a house in Kings Langly. I got 11.1 L/100KM with the help of adding 'The Fuel Doctor'.

It always kills me reading other people's economy figures compared to mine.

I have a 2007 R51 Pathfinder VSK auto with roof rack and alloy bar but standard tyres. Engine has done 175k, rest of car 200k.

Right now I get about 13.2L/100km around town and at best 12.8L/100km on the highway. I would like to take 3L/100km off both those figures!

I have:
- installed snorkel
- cleaned MAF
- new filters
- blanked EGR both ends
- installed catch can
- removed and cleaned inlet manifold
- run LiquidMoly Fuel Cleaner though system
- no DPF
- new turbo vac lines throughout
- cleaned turbo vanes
- multiple ECU resets
- drive it like a granny

But still crap fuel economy.

Presently investigating poor boost (as per this thread) as a possible cause. I get fine top end boost (19-20 psi) under heavy throttle but feel my low RPM boost is maybe wanting.
Have you also tried changing intake and intercooler hose to metal material as well? I've heard this helps solve the problem by building boost much lower and in turn reduces reduces fuel consumption. Also doing this with exhaust and complete ECU re-map has yielded some okay results. Not quite the 3L/100km you're looking for as I'd say only a manual box would show them results you're looking for. Good luck pal. 🙏

Latest posts

Back