D40 Engine Swap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scaly

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have just bought my young fella an 08' D40.
It has a suspected cracked head, but runs well.
What I would like to know is can I bolt a 2013 motor straight in?
I have picked one up off a written off vehicle with 160k on the clock.
They are both Manuals
Is there any computer mods or anything else need attention?
Thanks in Advance!

Welcome to the Forum Scaly. It will bolt straight in. The nuts and bolts of it are straight forward. However there is more Variants of D40's than the Covid virus. Really need more info on where the the 08 model was built and specs. Where the 2013 truck was built and what specs. For example, (and there will be others) if the 08 model has Vacuum controlled boost solenoid and the donor has an electrical control one. It's going to be an issue.

Good news is you have the whole, complete donor vehicle there will be ways out of it. Swapping out complete looms is going to be a drama but swapping out say just the ECU and BCM should not be to much of an issue.

Another way around it is you only swap the engine and head itself and use the 08 model orringinal ancillaries. Exhaust and inlet manifolds, EGR, Turbo, alternator, .... Should work.

as Tappet said, do your homework as there are many differences. I think the Thai RX models are only 106kw, while the early st(thai also) and stx(spain), are 126kw. I think the 2013(thai) remained at 126kw, while the new st(spain) jumped to 140kw. Can't tell you if they all share the same long motor, but if they do, then re use the 08 bolt on bits!
the 96kw yd25 engine in the D22 has a different head I've been told, so they are no use.
think i have it right!:rolleyes:

So Both motors '08 & '13, are Spain built. The only way I can see this working is to swap out the blocks & keep all the original bolt ons.
I will do a thorough inspection and see how much is different.

How’d you go with this? Have a similar situation. Wondering which way to go.
thanks

For the money, I've been quietly looking at LS1 conversions.. I think this might be the path I take to revive the old girl from a fun perspective.

Plenty of space and should be relatively easy

I seem to remember that the pre and post 2010 engines have a minor difference in that one of the bell housing bolts is a stud on the later model. Apart from that the physical engines are indeed the same.

On the LSx swap, there is nice thread on club frontier. A lot of work and will certainly mean rebuilding the firewall and transmission tunnel amongst other things
https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/ls1-swap-build.157977/

I seem to remember that the pre and post 2010 engines have a minor difference in that one of the bell housing bolts is a stud on the later model. Apart from that the physical engines are indeed the same.

On the LSx swap, there is nice thread on club frontier. A lot of work and will certainly mean rebuilding the firewall and transmission tunnel amongst other things
https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/ls1-swap-build.157977/

If you are actually interested - they sell kits Frontier / Xterra / Navara LSx BASIC Swap Kit - VQ40 Manual Transmissi – LOJ Conversions (lojkits.com)

Hi All,
I have just bought my young fella an 08' D40.
It has a suspected cracked head, but runs well.
What I would like to know is can I bolt a 2013 motor straight in?
I have picked one up off a written off vehicle with 160k on the clock.
They are both Manuals
Is there any computer mods or anything else need attention?
Thanks in Advance!
Gday, was wondering how you got on with trying the swap?

Latest posts

Back