d40 doors locked engine running

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duck

Reaction score
Gday I had a problem with the doors automatically locking with the key in the ignition and engine running in my D40. What made it worse is I was on the outside! I had got out and gone inside to get something I left behind and when I tried to get back in all doors were locked and I was 200ks from home so spare key out of the question Nissan Assist offered to courier the spares to me but I suggested that at 4pm on a friday afternoon in a country area I wouldnt get them till monday and by that stage it would have run of of diesel. Nissan arranged for the local roadside assist to help. Apart from smashing a window the only other option was to break in. Luckily I only had to wait an hour and a half and 10 mins to break in. I later inquired with my dealer if this was a known problem and what can be done in a similar situation again. We do a fair bit of towing especially up north a long way from roadside assist. I priced another spare key but at around $400 and half a day to code it I decided that in extreme situation I will smash one of the rear quarter windows as they are about $200 to replace. After a discussion with service area they suggested getting a key cut without the remote as there is an access lock on the front passenger door button. By flipping off the cover it exposes a key insertion point. I would be interest to know if anyone else has had a similar problem
regards
duck

Could it be some sort of anti car-jacking feature? Our Ford explorer locks the doors when you shift out of park.
Have a look at the US sites in regards to this. There may be away to enable and disable this. The exploder uses the factory Stereo to communicate with the ECU.

Definitely sounds like a fault with the NATS (or central locking system depending on whats installed). Mine wont lock if there is a key in the ignition although I have never tried it with the engine running.

On the key idea, you can buy the blank off ebay (about $25 last time I checked) and get a locksmith to cut it, you can also buy the identical fob (about $70) off ebay and put the two together. Nissan will still need to program it and no doubt will still want to charge something but they should drop the cost when you provide the bits. Also the half day to program seems like crap, most other manufacturers I've heard do it on the spot. If you go down this path don't be afraid to shop around dealers if you can because you'll find each dealer has a different price for such things.

Dunno if it works with Nissans, but my old Honda key fob was programmed by pressing the fob button whilst turning the key in the ignition to the point where all the dash lights come on. After about 5 or 10 seconds, there was a bleep, let go of the fob button, and the fob was re-programmed.

I tried to re-create the problem when I had the second key handy but it wouldnt lock so I think I think it may have been a one off glitch. I think I will just get the key cut and not bother with the remote part and secure it somewhere on the ute, anyone finding it still wouldnt be able to start it
Duck

Glitches are a pain in the arse because you never know when they might happen again, but having someone find a glitch can be just as painful.

I haven't done the spare key idea with the Nav but I did it with some of my old cars. The key cutter usually tells you it's not worth it because it wont start the car but what do they know, you're theory is completely sound, use the spare to gain access via the passenger door and atleast your in the car and can retrieve keys, or at worst if you lost the keys you're in the car in a comfy seat until help arrives.

I assume this only applies to the D40? If I get a key cut for the D22 it should start the car as (i think) it doesn't have an immobiliser?

I can't say for sure because I haven't seen a standard D22 key but if it hasn't got the chip inside the fob it's possibly not an issue.

Should get yourself one of those magnetic key holders so you can put it up under the tray or chassis or something where it's harder to find.

Cool thanks. Think I might get one as a spare and get it cut. I'll update this post if it works.

Well I bought a blank key but unfortunately the key cutting dude messed it up and cut too much so it's doesn't work.

Anyone know how much replacement keys are from Nissan for the D22?

Triple the cost of the one you got cut that doesn't work and you might be close to a Nissan figure, although most key cutters don't charge for keys that don't work so maybe got a freebie.

I've never asked a dealer to cut a key but for a non electronic key any key cutter should be able to do it, a bloke my old man used to work with did it on night shift for his mates so it's not rocket science. If those Mr Minute type places can't do it go to a proper locksmith and they will do it and make sure it works.

Hey Guys,
I had the same problem with my D40 this morning. Left the car running to warm up while i finished my coffee, walked out and it was locked. WTF!
I went inside and grabbed the spare key, which wouldn't unlock the central locking. WTF2!
Hey, there's no keyhole?
I googled the problem and found this thread.
If anyone is looking for the keyhole, it is located under the fixed part of the passenger side doorhandle. You shouldn't need a tool to pull it off.
I'm going to take the advice from you guys and get a spare cut and tape it to the body somewhere...

Well since you've just done it perhaps you can answer a question which came up in another thread in the last few days.

When using the key to unlock does it unlock all doors through the central locking system or does it only unlock the passenger door to let you in?

And welcome to the forums.

are the fobs rf,press spare key into phone from home to unlock car someone sugested this on one uk nissan forums (i aint got remote lockin or nats)

That would be nice and safe if it was that way. I know similar systems used to work like that years ago but I thought manufacturers stopped it because it was too easy to break.

are the fobs rf,press spare key into phone from home to unlock car someone sugested this on one uk nissan forums (i aint got remote lockin or nats)

Jace thats not a bad thing going by the posts on the UK forum.

The D22 NATS stuffs up all the time so I have read.

Latest posts

Back