D40 - D22. Chalk and cheese

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jardsoooo

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals - I recently ditched my 2010 manual D40 2wd yd25 which I bought new, for a 2015 D22 4 x 4 yd25.
I had expected the 22 to have less go but assumed ( Ha ! ) it was pretty much the same engine just detuned to 98 kw.
So I"ve discovered that while the block is pretty much the same, by and large that's where the similarities end.
Ive not driven any other D22s so I cant compare but this one at least feels um course/ rough I guess. Certainly the injectors are noisier or maybe it has less insulation
Same old lag as the 40 but gets moving off the clutch so much more easily. Quick little rev, pop the clutch and go. Had to give the 40 some serious revs at anytime to get it going but chuck on a trailer, point it up a hill and smell the clutch. Wouldnt even consider backing a trailer up a mild hill - like a client"s driveway - on the clutch the whole time. Very stressful.
The gearing plays a role in this I guess and the 22 is lighter but the most significant issue for the 40 was ecu settings where the throttle was largely disabled with the clutch in and you had no throttle control right when needed most - at the slipping/engaging point.
So swings and roundabouts. I'm very happy to have the 22 and especially the low range along with manual hubs. Lets me reverse a trailer anywhere I want to go while keeping off the clutch. There were plenty of places around here ( Blackwood SA - in the hills ) I wouldnt take the 40, esp with a trailer, and I'm talking suburban streets, for fear of destroying the clutch.
I am curious about the engine whine the 22 has - which Ive heard in others as they go past - - sounds like timing gear but I'm only too well aware the yd runs timing chains. Can anybody enlighten me here ?
And speaking of noises I changed the belts the other day - a number of odd noises when cold have disappeared despite the original belts - its now done 80kkm - looking fine.
Also blocked the EGR a while back. Power def kicks in a little sooner - maybe 150 revs - and now hardly blows any black smoke at all. Well worth it.
Would love to find a user friendly manual for it but there doesnt appear to be a Haynes type one ?
The blower resistor has gone and all the ones on Ebay spec only up to 2008. Can anybody advise it it is the same one for my 2015 ?
And on an unrelated issue - wondering what everybody uses to secure their trailers. I've been using the bent flatbar and padlock type on mine and have just got a second trailer and wondering if the ball type that locks into the hitch is any good any better - harder to break off. ? I've welded the nuts onto the bolts securing the hitch to the drawbar and considering making the chains removable so the arseholes cant just wrap the chains around their towbar. Might slow them down for a bit. This second trailer is for tools and I dont want to give the insurance company any excuses for refusing a claim if some prick does make off with it.
Thanks for reading.

I didn't realise that you needed to go through so much trouble to prevent trailer theft! Truly there are arseholes of incredible magnitude to rip off a Tradies gear and livelihood. Seems a bigger backyard is the answer!
With a big dog!

Re the heater resistor, if you have it out it may be that the dollop of solder has melted, this should be an easy fix and if there is something that caused the original dollop to melt it will do it on a new one but mine didn't, re theft I don't lock anything but yeah having a pig dog seems to deter.
Re the lag you can put one of these Nissan Navara D22 2008 - 2015 iDrive WindBooster Electronic Throttle Controller | eBay , worth reading the blurb anyway, might even do it when start towing the van

The fan resistor is different, the cheap eBay ones don't fit later d22.

Contact Nizzbits with the VIN and he will get you the right one.
And they are a bitch to fit!

They are hard to get out but would check the dollop of solder where the circuit branches for the lower speed controls as that was all that was wrong with the one I replaced, fortunately I have a spare vehicle here for parts and checking which I am not game to part out until the keeper is finished.

Thanks for your replies fellas.
Re the resistor I’ll give nizbits a call today - also need a flasher unit - this one has an intermittent thing where the flash rate increases dramatically - can’t find one on the usual sites either.
Can anybody comment on the whine this version of the YD has that the D40 doesn’t have ?
can only be outboard but that’s just belt drives - maybe fuel pump gear ? I’ve no idea.
And Manual - the one mentioned on the forum - is that the factory one or one a bit more user friendly ?
I got one on a disc for the D40 and for a mug like me it was difficult to use. I’d like a nice book with pages I can get my greasy finger prints all over.

Latest posts

Back