D40 4x4 2.5d front brake upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skourias

Reaction score
Hi guys,is there an upgrade for the front brakes? My wheels are 17" with std brakes.

RDA Brakes (Australia) used to sell slotted rotors for the D40 - I have a set on mine, with Bendix sintered pads they stop rather well wet or dry. I don't know if they still sell these or ship overseas, but there must be places in Europe and America that do the same?

Did you notice any improvement? Is it worth the money the rear brake conversion or change the master cylinder?

I didn't change the rear brakes, they're still drums - you asked about front brakes. Stopping performance is a little better in the wet because the discs can shed water faster. Pad choice is important. Last time the brake pads were changed it was done by a mechanic as part of a service (not by me). They chose non-sintered pads to extend the wear life of the brakes and reduce dust, but as a result I have slightly lower braking performance. Yes there's hardly any brake dust and yes my rotors have lasted longer. I wouldn't mind a little more performance so my next set of pads will be sintered again and I'll live with the inconvenience of dust + wear.

I've not changed anything else in the braking system.

Hi guys,is there an upgrade for the front brakes? My wheels are 17" with std brakes.

The following will help if your problem is lack of initial bite when you press the pedal.

Replace all the rubber brake hoses with braided.

Replace fluid at every service.

Replace front pads with a premium brand. If you can source greenstuff pads they bite really well.

If you want to go more extreme, the front brakes are off the 350z. Some googling will find various (expensive) options to put better brakes on as the 350z is a fairly common track day car.

Which of the below brake calipers you mean?

Attachments

• images (9).jpeg
    images (9).jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 16
  • images (10).jpeg
    images (10).jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 15
I purchased driller front rotors and Mintex pads (green stuff out of stock when I ordered) from MTECHbrakes.com.

Offer coating on the discs to stop them rusting too, stupidly I missed that option so can't vouch for that, non-coated do rust though!

Upgrading to front 350Z calipers sounds good if its a near enough bolt-on.

I was thinking of buying two new stanard front calipers to get them powdercoated - I just painted them yellow (to match my Old Man Emu shocks) although getting them done right would look better and last longer.

It's not so much to prevent the surface of the discs going rusty as you're right no coating will last long there; however, rather the 'hub' section which looks rather ugly in no time at all when exposed to the elements.

Latest posts

Back