D40 4.0l timing chain/water pump/ head gasket replacement.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genghis

Reaction score
Hi out there everyone. Hope all had a fantastic and safe new years and Christmas.
I'm looking for a bit of advice/pointers on this from the experts.
I have an 08 STX 4.0l v6.
I recently had what I'm hoping was a head gasket and not damages head issue. Clean oil, clean coolant but when thermostat open I was getting the dreaded exhaust gas in coolant issue. Being just before Christmas and needing to keep mobile I used a head gasket repair additive. I know bad all round. It has solved the issue and I have travelled several thousand ks since.
I have noticed that I'm now just starting to lose a tiny amount of oily coolant out of the weep hole in the timing case cover. I've purchased a new water pump and while I'm there also a new timing chain kit. I'm unsure of when it was last done so thought it prudent to do it.
I've also got a VRS head gasket kit as well.
Where I'm struggling is do I leave well enough alone with the head gasket issue or bite the bullet and take the heads off?
My concerns are if take the heads off and it's not a gasket how big a can of worms I'm opening eg cracked head or heads.
Has anyone had experience with these engines? Do they normally just blow a gasket or are they prone to damaged heads?
Before I had the issue there was no overheating ect I just got home one day and it was spewing coolant out the overflow?
I'm looking at doing the job next weekend. I have a lift at home and have done these types of jobs before just not on these particular engine's.
Any help, advice or pointers from any of you out there in the know would be hugely appreciated.
Cheers everyone
Sam

Gooday eveyone

Im driving a 2014 nissan navra 2.5 diesel for 4 years not one day had a probleme just service and do mantanice on it want to find out alot says its not n good bakkie gives probleme can how have problemes tell me thay se the heads crack and clutch prob mine have 110000km on the clock

The guy who runs the truck workshop that services my vehicle said the gasket repair kits these days are very good and successfully repair a high percentage of problems. Unfortunately, you won't know if you are the unlucky one. He has been in the vehicle industry for 50 years.

Back