D40 (2012 ST model) with new OME suspension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudskipper

Reaction score
Hi All,
We've been scanning this forum for a wee while just to try and decide on a suspension upgrade for our Navara. Info about same brand complete kit-outs is hard to sift out..So just for those with a similar lifestyle to us, we thought we would share some feedback on our recent experiences..

Our car is an everyday family drive car, however we love our camping and in July we are doing the Cape (towing a camper trailer).

The car 90% of the time is not loaded.. and then when we do go off-road anywhere, she is loaded to the hilt with eskys, camping gear, water etc.

The stock suspension is 'so-so'....okay of on tar...but off road, its prone to bottoming out pretty sharply in sections..especially when under load..

We don't do anything off road too hardcore....mostly lots of gravel open roads with corrugation and dips, potholes, washouts etc....Maybe some softer sand/dirt mix in areas, rocky creek crossings (not too deep) and the odd hill climb or beach run..

So, we saved up and just had the suspension redone with the installation of Old Man Emu shocks and leaf springs..We have OME's on our patrol and they have been an absolute dream! So although we did do some shopping on other brands, we decided to stick with what has been a proven winner for us.. despite the fact that the OME's were a bit more expensive..

As this has only just been done (Monday), we have not had an opportunity to-
1. Load up the car and try it out
2. Upgrade our wheel size from the standard 255's

At this early stage however I would like to give you the measurements since the upgrades.

Accessories on the Navara-
  • ARB steel bullbar
  • 9500lb winch
  • dual battery sitting under drivers side chassis
  • ARB side steps and brush bars
  • rear diff locker
  • tub liner

OME Suspension Kit:

#2608 Front coil springs (heavy)
#90003 Nitrocharger Sports Struts (front)
#CS150R Leaf springs (medium load)
#60017 Nitrocharger Sports Struts (rear)
OMESB100 Springs Bushes and Shackles
OMEGS15 Greasable Shackles
OMEU53A OME U-Bolts

LIFT RESULTS

Front Passenger: Before - 740mm After - 765mm = 25mm gain
Front Driver: Before - 735mm After - 765mm = 30mm gain

Rear Passenger: Before - 750mm After - 810mm = 60mm gain
Rear Driver: Before - 745mm After - 815mm = 70mm gain

The Ride
Around town, much smoother, however some slight stiffness in rear...nothing bad mind you... definitely a big improvement from stock and probably will soften a little when broken in some more..But even if it doesn't, this will not worry us in the slightest.

We are happy for the gain in lift.. Again, we are not doing anything heavy duty enough with the 4wding to dictate the need to go silly with heights.

We are now researching tyre options...with the intent to go no bigger than 275's. Stock - 255/65/R17.

Interestingly, our initial first choice for 275's is the BFGs A/T KO - where we will get another 25mm....but the 265's Coopers ST/Maxx will offer a good 40mm.

Okay, well this is all I can offer at this early stage.
If anyone is interested, we can come back on this thread to provide some feedback after we go for another camping trip... but I think we can be relatively confident that we are going to have a much better ride..

PS: Anyone wanting to do their own before and after measurements..the measurements taken by ARB was from highest part of outer body wheel arch and down to the base of the rims..

Cheers! Muddy..

Last edited:
How much did you pay for all the accessories on the ute? I have the same ute and want to do the same things minus the side steps and brush bars? I was thinking of going to arb and getting it all done at one time.

How did you go on with wheel alignment, is your camber/ caster ok, just done my suspension and mine seems out

How did it go?

I would like to hear how your suspension mods went on your camping trip with and without the camper trailer. I have 2012 D40 with no mods, about to get the suspension done and a steel bull bar. We go away with a camper trailer and do pretty much the same style driving as you just in WA.
I would like to get a little more lift from the front though, maybe 50 or 60mm. How much did the suspension upgrade cost you?

you wouldnt happen to hav before and afte photo?
Also did you gain 25mm-30mm gain from stock?
i think i have lost about 30-40mm after installing bullbar/winch and spotty at the front from stock.
not sure if ome will raise 25-30mm from stock. or from what i have on now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back