d22 zd30 str dti timing marks for fuel pump removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DpK

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello forum,
have spent all day trying get fuel pump out to get it tested further, its got power and earth to main plug, replaced crank sensor as it had a code.
still cranking over but no starting ,no fuel smell at all. have flogged search function with no luck , was exspecting to find a decent picture of where the timing marks should be at 1 cyc tdc. the online manual I have doesnt seem to have di version only zd30 ddt.
thanks for replys.
cheers Dave

there is a manual off the navara sites. you must be looking at patrol etc manual as the navara never had common rail zd30.

the timing marks are pretty easy, coloured marks on the chain but also stamped letters on the gears. get them all lined up is the best way of doing it. it just takes a lot of tuning over to get all the letters lined up right.
i had a lot of trouble with mine due to someone putting the chain on 180 degrees out.

most important is to lock the pump scissor gear with a bolt. if you remove the pump without locking that gear you will need to buy a new gear.

what code where you getting?

Thanks for the reply Tweak's.
The only code that was thrown was for crank sensor. None of my obd readers worked with Consult 2, rac gent finally managed to get .
Been turning it over for hours , closest I've got is in picture, but with chain marks not aligning up.

Attachments

• IMG20230114084620.jpg
    IMG20230114084620.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the reply Tweak's.
The only code that was thrown was for crank sensor. None of my obd readers worked with Consult 2, rac gent finally managed to get .
Been turning it over for hours , closest I've got is in picture, but with chain marks not aligning up.

So after downloading a pdf in tech talk. I found a 4 pages referring to timing chain , marks for zd engines and not what I had been using zd30ddt.
Spent 4 hours cranking it over by hand , glow plugs out . Got this position which too me is one tooth out , no position for screw into spider gear, aswell. Also gear under exhaust side cam doesn't line up with marks on idler below it. Very strange.

Attachments

• IMG20230114133511.jpg
    IMG20230114133511.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230114133500.jpg
    IMG20230114133500.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
ec-761 is the page for removal.

the marks may be a bit trickier due to not being able to see the idler ones very well.
your cam gear is not lining up so its way off. there should be a BB on the other gear. keep turning it until cam gear lines up and then check the others. check the gear marks over the timing chain marks, could be someone incorrectly fitted the chain.

ec-761 is the page for removal.

the marks may be a bit trickier due to not being able to see the idler ones very well.
your cam gear is not lining up so its way off. there should be a BB on the other gear. keep turning it until cam gear lines up and then check the others. check the gear marks over the timing chain marks, could be someone incorrectly fitted the chain.

Thanks Tweaks,
Been back to this position twice know ,a couple of hours in between.
Had this until now reliable truck for ten years, only thing I had done to it was cross country inter cooler and catch can. Did print out the pages mentioned 761 plus 5 more. They were zd30ddt , not the same , picture from yesterdays wrong info.

Attachments

• IMG20230113071823.jpg
    IMG20230113071823.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
So little update, 230 cranks and finally all marks lined up, screw in scissor gear next. Start next stage strip down tomorrow evening.

Latest posts

Back