D22 ZD30 Handling in wet Weather conditions....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hey Guys....

Just thought I'd ask the question..... since buying & driving my D22, I've had to be VERY cautious in wet weather. The back end easily wants to shoot side ways from "Take off" right up to & sometimes into 3rd gear in some situations if I'm not careful.... The Tyres have plenty of tread & aren't that old (so the previous owner told me - haven't checked the tyre age though) and are a A/T pattern (Wildcats I believe). The only weight in the rear is the Canopy + the Outback Drawer System Drawers......I'm very cautious now when heading downhill that has bends in the road & not wanting the rear end to start to let go (this hasn't happened yet while driving)

How do others find their utes handle in the wet conditions (On take off and on corners)?

rob

Last edited:
I find my truck to be pretty unruly in the wet, if I'm not careful. Putting the back end sideways in and out of some corners is all too easy.

But its only natural for that to happen, the vehicle is a ute, which means its long and weighted towards the front end enough to make the rear wheel drive a bit of a beast. Being leaf sprung in the rear doesn't help it much either.

I treat all wet weather driving like mud driving, being ever wary of the back end having the capability of overtaking the front with little hesitation.

The trick is to keep the wheels rolling, as soon as you slide, you've lost it.

I had my back end come out completely sideways turning around a round-a-bout not long ago which was kinda scary and fun, lucky no-one else was near me. Hardly put my foot down either.

I guess its just a common issue with utes. Make sure the back is loaded up with a few sandbags or something to weight it down.

Yeah... I used to have an old hilux years and years ago & there wasn't enough power to really have any issues on take off, with these D22's, it certainly doesn't take much....

Also...
Dave....How can replacing your rear shocks prevent your rear end from getting loose & going side ways in the wet? I don't really understand that one?

It keeps the wheel on the ground.

Factory shocks still in it ?

If so, they'd be stuffed by now. They are probably doing nothing.

Bilstiens are the bomb, I wouldn't use anything else.

It keeps the wheel on the ground.

Factory shocks still in it ?

If so, they'd be stuffed by now. They are probably doing nothing.

Bilstiens are the bomb, I wouldn't use anything else.

The rear shocks are OME ones but I'm not sure how old.... I don't think keeping them on the ground is a problem.... theres no axle tramping... I think it probably just more like not enough weight in the rear ??

The LSD makes the rear slide out in the wet as both wheels will spin together if traction is broken. When I got the ARB airlocker in the rear the ute became a lot better behaved in the wet as the diff is open unless the airlocker is activated meaning only one wheel will spin in the wet and the other keeps the rear on the right track.

3rd gear snakeys seems excessive. sounds like shit tyres, maybe check the tyre pressure?

I think this has come up before ... Simply AT'S are shit on the black stuff in the wet.
Thats why I use only RT's and Hey presto no problem. Simply air down and they go pretty well in mud and they are better than AT's on the sand.

More to do with compound of the Tyre than tread pattern maybe, or to much right foot. I,m the same as you coming from a old 2.8 diesel hilux. Its easy to give it a bit to much pedal

I've never had this happen to me unless I try real hard. Maybe I just drive mine like a girl. Haha

The LSD makes the rear slide out in the wet as both wheels will spin together if traction is broken. When I got the ARB airlocker in the rear the ute became a lot better behaved in the wet as the diff is open unless the airlocker is activated meaning only one wheel will spin in the wet and the other keeps the rear on the right track.

air locker just means your running an open diff on the road.
imho open diff or airlocker is worse on road than lsd.

theres two things here. one is the lsd can grab suddenly which throws it sideways a bit. one wheels spins a bit, lsd grabs and rear slides. change of oil tends to help smoothen the grab.
the other is that lsd gives you better traction so you go faster and put more power down causing you to spin both wheels. read the road better.

3rd gear spins sounds like crap tires. i've had it with some road and AT tires that are worse in the wet than my muds.

air locker just means your running an open diff on the road.
imho open diff or airlocker is worse on road than lsd.

How?

Power oversteer is very difficult with an open diff and a diesel. With the LSD in it is very easy in the wet, to the point of it happening unintentionally from time to time.

LSD or not makes no difference of course when oversteer is a result of excessive corner speed, but removing that element of unintentional power oversteer makes for a easier vehicle to drive without getting crossed up.

don't really agree with that so much.

i have open diff in my other 4x4 and it get loose worse than the D22. thats simply because its so darn easy to spin one rear wheel. (btw they have similar tires on at the mo).
unless the lsd is grabbing, with the lsd is far far better to drive than without.

scared of a little rear end slide i suggest go to bunnings, buy a bag of cement, take it home, swallow a cup full and harden the f@#k up. or go buy a kia.

scared of a little rear end slide i suggest go to bunnings, buy a bag of cement, take it home, swallow a cup full and harden the f@#k up. or go buy a kia.

:yeahright:

Interesting how people are always knocking the Kia & The Great Walls.... I know a few Tradies & others that have the Kia's & Great Wall Utes and they have all been surprised at their reliability (The later ones).... they have all said they can't kill them..... Parts are cheap too.... You look at the reliability of some of the Toyotas & Nissan's now & the cost u pay to initially buy them vs the price of these others.... makes u wonder sometimes who's the suckers are....

BTW.... I still prefer my Nav & Toyota..... but it just makes me wonder when u hear and see this new cars coming into the market that initially get a bad wrap but as time goes on and improvements are made, they become more popular, especially when it comes to $$

Just my opinion though

:yeahright:

Interesting how people are always knocking the Kia & The Great Walls.... I know a few Tradies & others that have the Kia's & Great Wall Utes and they have all been surprised at their reliability (The later ones).... they have all said they can't kill them..... Parts are cheap too.... You look at the reliability of some of the Toyotas & Nissan's now & the cost u pay to initially buy them vs the price of these others.... makes u wonder sometimes who's the suckers are....

BTW.... I still prefer my Nav & Toyota..... but it just makes me wonder when u hear and see this new cars coming into the market that initially get a bad wrap but as time goes on and improvements are made, they become more popular, especially when it comes to $$

Just my opinion though

i do hear what your saying my nav will be 4 year old soon and i have been wondering if i still need a ute if the great wall x240 had a transfer case i probably would buy one there reported power outputs are pritty respectable in both diesal and petrol and lets face it the price i could possably get for my nav i wouldnt have to add much to get a brand new car

Latest posts

Back